It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 AM   #1

mounty HB User
Angry ear pain and bad smell

I have had my left ear bother me now for over 2 years and been back and forth to the docs. It leaks everyday, all day long with the utmost smell. does anyone on here gone or going thru this? you can smell it a mile away, no kidding...no one knows what causes it or how to get rid of it..I took so many meds and nothing seems to work. thanks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2003, 06:42 PM   #2

pd50 HB User
Re: ear pain and bad smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mounty
I have had my left ear bother me now for over 2 years and been back and forth to the docs. It leaks everyday, all day long with the utmost smell. does anyone on here gone or going thru this? you can smell it a mile away, no kidding...no one knows what causes it or how to get rid of it..I took so many meds and nothing seems to work. thanks..
I would go back to the doc.........you may have a fungual infection of the outer ear........or if you got a hole in the ear it could be from that. Any odor is indication that a doctor visit is in order.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #3

pd50 HB User

I would go back to the doc.........you may have a fungal infection of the outer ear........or if you got a hole in the ear it could be coming from the middle ear. Any odor is indication that a doctor visit is in order. better to to checked out by a doc.........to make sure no permanent damage is being done.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:10 AM   #4

mounty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd50
I would go back to the doc.........you may have a fungual infection of the outer ear........or if you got a hole in the ear it could be from that. Any odor is indication that a doctor visit is in order.
thanks for responding back to me. I have been to the doctor and to the hospital many times than i can afford and all they do is give me meds that don't work and one's i can't afford. Once they have their mind made up to take antibiotics, no one can change their mind or even listen to me.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:15 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

mounty,

What meds have you tried so far?
Have they determined there's no eardrum perforation?
How's your hearing?

Last edited by zip2play; 11-21-2003 at 07:16 AM.

Old 11-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #6

mounty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
mounty,

What meds have you tried so far?
Have they determined there's no eardrum perforation?
How's your hearing?
hello, I have been on so many different antibiotics over the yrs, and drops and so forth but nothing at all works. they have never did a scan or anything...no test no nothing...i try to demand for them to do other test or even at least one but they say to take meds...I can hardly hear out of my left ear...it has to be eating away at stuff in my ear...ppl tell me they smell something awful and want to gag....it is my ear they smell but i can't bring myself to tell them the odor they smell is coming from me. thanks for asking....

Old 11-25-2003, 06:41 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Mounty,
Not to belabor it, but if any doctor looks into your ear with an ototscope, he should be able to determine whether there's a hole in the eardurm. If so, then the middle ear must be treated (carefully under medical supervision).
If NOT, however, then just frequent flushing and maybe some antibiotic or antifungal drops and even shampoo daily should do the trick safely since it's only an outer ear problem.

Finding out if that eardrum is punctured is on top of your agenda.

Last edited by zip2play; 11-25-2003 at 06:43 AM.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
(female)

momoftwosons HB User
Lightbulb Re: ear pain and bad smell

Hello,
My son who is now 21 has had similar problems with his ear since age 5. It started with a terrible smell and discharge. After taking him to countless ENT's, he was diagnosed with Cholesteatoma. It is a skin cyst that develops in the middle ear and errodes the bones in the ear. It ate away at 2 of the hearing bones, the ear drum, the bone around his facial nerve and was in the mastoid process. He has had about 6 surgeries ..three just in 2000 alone. The doctor we have is great but the recurrence rate is high and my son has to be checked every 6 months for the rest of his life. He has a partial wall down so the doctor can now remove any cysts right in the office instead of having to go into surgery. Maybe you should ask your doctor to check and see if you have this condition. They usually do a CT scan to aid in diagnosis and they also look to see if you have a retracted ear drum or perforation in the drum. Fungus in the ear also causes a smell. My doctor advised us to use Lotrimen solution in the ear for that but you have to still be under a doctor's care for that. Hope you find the answer to your problem.

Closed Thread