It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pa. USA.
Posts: 137
TMJgirl HB User
parched eustachian tubes...

Does anyone out there have a sensation that their eustachian tubes feel parched and clogged 24/7? I am going crazy with this. Have tried sudafed, antihistimines, and robitussin and still clogged. I dont know if this is a spasm or what, but it never goes away and I am really loosing it now. I have been to ENT's and have had scopes in my face twice. The tubes are functioning normally and they feel swollen and I can hear my own voice inside and my heart beat. It is worse on the right side, but now the left is effected too. They feel like they are stuck together. I hold my nose and blow and then everything just gets loud and stays loud. Nothing pops at all. Please help..........

 
Old 01-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4
kbkb HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJgirl
Does anyone out there have a sensation that their eustachian tubes feel parched and clogged 24/7? I am going crazy with this. Have tried sudafed, antihistimines, and robitussin and still clogged. I dont know if this is a spasm or what, but it never goes away and I am really loosing it now. I have been to ENT's and have had scopes in my face twice. The tubes are functioning normally and they feel swollen and I can hear my own voice inside and my heart beat. It is worse on the right side, but now the left is effected too. They feel like they are stuck together. I hold my nose and blow and then everything just gets loud and stays loud. Nothing pops at all. Please help..........
I have just read some other posted notes about echoing in the ears...especially when speaking. I am experiencing that same effect you spoke of...hearing your own voice and heartbeat. I hear a "whooshing" in my right ear only at night...and I thought it might be the blood pulsating. Went to an ENT doctor once in Sept. Hearing tests were fine...He prescirbed a decongestant..didn't work..and recommended holding my nose closed and blowing hard. I will consider revisiting him, but want to read more in the Boards here. One post "Hearing Echoes" from emctrl identified a condition called patulous eustachian tube. That means the tubes are open and do not shut as supposed to. looking forward to more responses.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
lib lib is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 850
lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

hi,
i am having the same problems, i have had all sorts of wird symptoms through this, going to a specialist on wed. has any one here lost wiegt recently? do you get popping and crackling or feel like there is mucous in your ears? thanks lib

 
Old 02-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pa. USA.
Posts: 137
TMJgirl HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Hi I am back...unfortunately. For months and months I have had this hell of blocked eustachian tubes and vertigo. I have been to numerous specialists, ENTs etc. Last Monday I went to a MD a friend of mine sent me to. After all the specialists said I had not fluid in my ears, this guy says there is fluid trapped in both ears. He said I have "glue ear" better knows as serum otitis. That means that the fluid had been there so long that it is now, glue! I am going crazy with this. I hear my own voice, heartbeat, breathing. I feel like I have a bucket on my head all the time. I am very depressed and have major anxiety with this. He prescribed aquatab D and nasal steriods. It is my second day and having worse symptoms because the membranes feel like they are dried out now worse. He said that is what he wants to happen and that it will allieviate soon. I pray for the day. I am having side effects from the medicine like worse vertigo and anxiety. I cant hardly hear and everyting is muffled now. This is unreal. Has anyone out there had this??? Please help me! I was told also that I have TMJ but I dont think that causes fluid in the eustachian tubes. Maybe it does, but now this is secondary to the TMJ. Helppppp

 
Old 02-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
lib lib is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 850
lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJgirl
Hi I am back...unfortunately. For months and months I have had this hell of blocked eustachian tubes and vertigo. I have been to numerous specialists, ENTs etc. Last Monday I went to a MD a friend of mine sent me to. After all the specialists said I had not fluid in my ears, this guy says there is fluid trapped in both ears. He said I have "glue ear" better knows as serum otitis. That means that the fluid had been there so long that it is now, glue! I am going crazy with this. I hear my own voice, heartbeat, breathing. I feel like I have a bucket on my head all the time. I am very depressed and have major anxiety with this. He prescribed aquatab D and nasal steriods. It is my second day and having worse symptoms because the membranes feel like they are dried out now worse. He said that is what he wants to happen and that it will allieviate soon. I pray for the day. I am having side effects from the medicine like worse vertigo and anxiety. I cant hardly hear and everyting is muffled now. This is unreal. Has anyone out there had this??? Please help me! I was told also that I have TMJ but I dont think that causes fluid in the eustachian tubes. Maybe it does, but now this is secondary to the TMJ. Helppppp
hi,
i have been having the same symptoms, i get reverberation also, do other people talking to you bother you also? what kind of vertigo are you having? i have been to several specialists as well, i think it might be pet, can you feel the fluid in there? do you get migraines? that can be a trigger from the swelling. thanks lib

 
Old 02-17-2004, 04:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pa. USA.
Posts: 137
TMJgirl HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Lib:
I went to but yet another MD yesterday about this. This has been going on for one year! Specialists, ENTs, etc. and no one found fluid in there, UNTIL last week. A regular MD said, gee, there is some fluid in the left and alot in the right and take this aquatab d and see me in a week. Soooooooo, I took it , and I got worse as the week went on. Well, I went yesterday and saw the nurse practitioner and she took one look at me and said i was dehydrated. So I have stopped taking the meds and started to drink alot of water and maybe even the eustachain tubes may drain. As a rule, I do not drink enough water. Do you? To answer your questions, vertigo, it is awful. If i turn my head or look down I feel like I am on a boat and sea sick. No nausea but the sensation of movement. It makes me panic and anxiety sets in and then it gets worse from the fight or flight responce. No migranes, no headaches at all. The fluid is like soap bubble in there, at least it feels like that. I can feel it move about. Pressure in my sinuses, big time and she felt that it is originating from there and draining back instead of out. Sometimes I cant tell where the sounds come from in a room. They seem to bounce off the walls and my own heartbeat and breathing is like Chinese water tortchure. So, I am drinking alot of water, over doing it, and seeing if this has any chance of loosing things up. But yes, I have all the symptoms you do and nothing has been done about it. Have tried everything, and they wanted to give me antibiotics but I wont take, because the mucous is clear like water, not yellow, green, or infected. Why take antibiotic and set my body up for something else? Hang in there lib.
Demi

 
Old 02-17-2004, 06:33 AM   #7
lib lib is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 850
lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJgirl
Lib:
I went to but yet another MD yesterday about this. This has been going on for one year! Specialists, ENTs, etc. and no one found fluid in there, UNTIL last week. A regular MD said, gee, there is some fluid in the left and alot in the right and take this aquatab d and see me in a week. Soooooooo, I took it , and I got worse as the week went on. Well, I went yesterday and saw the nurse practitioner and she took one look at me and said i was dehydrated. So I have stopped taking the meds and started to drink alot of water and maybe even the eustachain tubes may drain. As a rule, I do not drink enough water. Do you? To answer your questions, vertigo, it is awful. If i turn my head or look down I feel like I am on a boat and sea sick. No nausea but the sensation of movement. It makes me panic and anxiety sets in and then it gets worse from the fight or flight responce. No migranes, no headaches at all. The fluid is like soap bubble in there, at least it feels like that. I can feel it move about. Pressure in my sinuses, big time and she felt that it is originating from there and draining back instead of out. Sometimes I cant tell where the sounds come from in a room. They seem to bounce off the walls and my own heartbeat and breathing is like Chinese water tortchure. So, I am drinking alot of water, over doing it, and seeing if this has any chance of loosing things up. But yes, I have all the symptoms you do and nothing has been done about it. Have tried everything, and they wanted to give me antibiotics but I wont take, because the mucous is clear like water, not yellow, green, or infected. Why take antibiotic and set my body up for something else? Hang in there lib.
Demi
can you breath air into your ears? it sounds to me like we both have patulous eustachian tubes, and decongestants make it worse. look it up and let me know what you think! a lot of doctors dont know a lot about this, where do you live? lib

 
Old 02-17-2004, 07:19 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pa. USA.
Posts: 137
TMJgirl HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Lib:
I was checked for PET. They went inside my sinus with a scope and it isnt that. I live in eastern Pennsylvania close to the Jersey boarder suburbs of Philly. There is fluid in the tubes. Why? Who knows. just that there is, and it makes me crazy and dizzy and everthing else. Instant insanity that never goes away. The decongestants made everything in there dry up to the point of glue and made me dehydrate because i didnt drink enough fluid from just not caring anymore. So, no, I dont have PET. Dont have stuck open tubes, they are clogged! I was told I had TMJ also and have spent thousands of dollars by a rip off dentist and 6 months at a chiropractor (who tried his best) and numerous internist, MD, ENTs etc. The first person to see the actual fluid was just last week after this hell and mayhem!!!!!!!!!!! So at least I know I am not crazy. There IS FLUID. No one believed me, started with the prescription pad for antidepressants, and I would just thro them out fully aware that I wasnt nuts. Now I know I am not, just have to drink fluid now and replace water, and hope to God in heaven that my clogged ears are a result of months of decongestants and glue ear from not enough fluid.
Demi

 
Old 02-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
lib lib is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 850
lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJgirl
Lib:
I was checked for PET. They went inside my sinus with a scope and it isnt that. I live in eastern Pennsylvania close to the Jersey boarder suburbs of Philly. There is fluid in the tubes. Why? Who knows. just that there is, and it makes me crazy and dizzy and everthing else. Instant insanity that never goes away. The decongestants made everything in there dry up to the point of glue and made me dehydrate because i didnt drink enough fluid from just not caring anymore. So, no, I dont have PET. Dont have stuck open tubes, they are clogged! I was told I had TMJ also and have spent thousands of dollars by a rip off dentist and 6 months at a chiropractor (who tried his best) and numerous internist, MD, ENTs etc. The first person to see the actual fluid was just last week after this hell and mayhem!!!!!!!!!!! So at least I know I am not crazy. There IS FLUID. No one believed me, started with the prescription pad for antidepressants, and I would just thro them out fully aware that I wasnt nuts. Now I know I am not, just have to drink fluid now and replace water, and hope to God in heaven that my clogged ears are a result of months of decongestants and glue ear from not enough fluid.
Demi
hi,
i was checked with the scope as well, said it looked fine, well there are special tests they have to do to really know, when you breath in deep do you feel air go up into your ears? i could feel fluid in both ears at one point and then just one, now i have the rest of the symptoms, when you say soap bubbles, kinda like it is crinkley in side, like styrafoam? i am getting a c.t. of the inner ear and i think the e.tubes on friday, hopefully that will shed some light on this. also found another specialist i may try as well. hang in there, have you tried any specialists at a major hospital or university? lib

 
Old 02-17-2004, 05:40 PM   #10
lib lib is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 850
lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJgirl
Lib:
I was checked for PET. They went inside my sinus with a scope and it isnt that. I live in eastern Pennsylvania close to the Jersey boarder suburbs of Philly. There is fluid in the tubes. Why? Who knows. just that there is, and it makes me crazy and dizzy and everthing else. Instant insanity that never goes away. The decongestants made everything in there dry up to the point of glue and made me dehydrate because i didnt drink enough fluid from just not caring anymore. So, no, I dont have PET. Dont have stuck open tubes, they are clogged! I was told I had TMJ also and have spent thousands of dollars by a rip off dentist and 6 months at a chiropractor (who tried his best) and numerous internist, MD, ENTs etc. The first person to see the actual fluid was just last week after this hell and mayhem!!!!!!!!!!! So at least I know I am not crazy. There IS FLUID. No one believed me, started with the prescription pad for antidepressants, and I would just thro them out fully aware that I wasnt nuts. Now I know I am not, just have to drink fluid now and replace water, and hope to God in heaven that my clogged ears are a result of months of decongestants and glue ear from not enough fluid.
Demi
hi,
i was checked with the scope as well, said it looked fine, well there are special tests they have to do to really know, when you breath in deep do you feel air go up into your ears? i could feel fluid in both ears at one point and then just one, now i have the rest of the symptoms, when you say soap bubbles, kinda like it is crinkley in side, like styrafoam? i am getting a c.t. of the inner ear and i think the e.tubes on friday, hopefully that will shed some light on this. also found another specialist i may try as well. hang in there, have you tried any specialists at a major hospital or university? lib
have you tried accupuncture?

 
Old 02-18-2004, 04:47 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pa. USA.
Posts: 137
TMJgirl HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Hi lib: Yeah, I tried acupuncture. Didnt work. Tried it twice for long periods of time. The inside of the eustachian tubes do feel like styro foam or someting like a sponge. Wierd. I am trying to drink tons of fluid to make the mucous move. I know it is mucous because first thing in the morning I am so clogged up in my sinus, throat and ears like dehydrated or something. I dont knw what is happening but I am very upset about this.........doctors are all idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Old 02-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #12
lib lib is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 850
lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJgirl
Hi lib: Yeah, I tried acupuncture. Didnt work. Tried it twice for long periods of time. The inside of the eustachian tubes do feel like styro foam or someting like a sponge. Wierd. I am trying to drink tons of fluid to make the mucous move. I know it is mucous because first thing in the morning I am so clogged up in my sinus, throat and ears like dehydrated or something. I dont knw what is happening but I am very upset about this.........doctors are all idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
trust me, i have been to 6 so far, and am going to another in a week and a half! do you have tinnitus?when i blow my nose it feels like my eardrums are sticking inside, i am going and wont stop till someone fixes this, i get a c.t. on friday, pray it shows something. did you lose any wieght before this started? do you have reflux by chance? hang in there! lib

 
Old 02-19-2004, 04:44 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pa. USA.
Posts: 137
TMJgirl HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Lib:
No i didnt loose weight. In fact I took up weight lifting and bodybuilding. I do this every single day to compensate for the head problems. I dont know how I do it but I do. I am in good condition and am 48 years old. In fact I am in the best shape I ever was in my life.......all that aside, the fact is that my ears stick too. That is the sensation I get, and then the feeling of hearing my own voice and breathing, heartbeat etc. Then I panic, then I get anxiety attacks and hyperventalate, and get pins and needles and on and on....I do not have tinitis just the clogged ears, and the vertigo. Driving me crazy and I am loosing it........I went to 5 ENT's and all said nothing was wrong. I do have fluid in there, according to an MD and his nurse practitioner in the last two weeks. Feels like bubbles or a sponge or something like that in my head. Going crazy..........
Demi

 
Old 02-19-2004, 05:01 AM   #14
lib lib is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 850
lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJgirl
Lib:
No i didnt loose weight. In fact I took up weight lifting and bodybuilding. I do this every single day to compensate for the head problems. I dont know how I do it but I do. I am in good condition and am 48 years old. In fact I am in the best shape I ever was in my life.......all that aside, the fact is that my ears stick too. That is the sensation I get, and then the feeling of hearing my own voice and breathing, heartbeat etc. Then I panic, then I get anxiety attacks and hyperventalate, and get pins and needles and on and on....I do not have tinitis just the clogged ears, and the vertigo. Driving me crazy and I am loosing it........I went to 5 ENT's and all said nothing was wrong. I do have fluid in there, according to an MD and his nurse practitioner in the last two weeks. Feels like bubbles or a sponge or something like that in my head. Going crazy..........
Demi
i am going crazy also, do you hear your heartbeat in both ears or just one, when you say your breathing do you just feel it or hear it also or both? i think you need to see another specialist, a year is to long, have you had any other tests done? cat scan or anything else? lib

 
Old 02-19-2004, 05:34 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pa. USA.
Posts: 137
TMJgirl HB User
Re: parched eustachian tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib
i am going crazy also, do you hear your heartbeat in both ears or just one, when you say your breathing do you just feel it or hear it also or both? i think you need to see another specialist, a year is to long, have you had any other tests done? cat scan or anything else? lib


One ear. the right. It is the worse of the two. They feel the fluid is originating from my sinus. Why???? I had a CT of the sinus a year ago and it was normal. Had balance tests done and nothing came out clear. Nonconclusive. All I know is that I have fluid in my freaking ears, I am dizzy and loosing my mind. I have tried decongestants and they screwed me up. Made me dehydrated. Dried up the tissues worse and I had mucous like strings going down my throat. Just trying Robitussin alone today with tylenol for some relief I pray. They want me on antibiotic but I am resisting that. Who knows, maybe it is an infection, but I dont have yellow or green junk just clear thick. Gross........No more specialists...........they are idiots.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
parched ears or blocked eustachian tubes marjs_life Hearing Disorders 0 07-15-2004 02:30 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



billcindy1 (17), Sanguine2011 (10), Fantine (9), niteskylover (3), Queen always (3), lib (3), rmabowhunter (3), OhMyEars (3), RealityMatt (3), Jacki93 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (910), Titchou (859), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!