It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 10:22 AM   #1

Brookdale Al HB User
Loss of hearing left ear

Since Oct. my left ear has been progressively feeling more plugged up and the hearing has been progressively getting worse.. I have been to the ENT put on nasel spray, then antibiotics... no help or change in fact still getting worse. I must have lost 80% of the hearing in the ear. At this point he said to suck it up and come back in six months. It just seem that something other than that could be done. Any ideas???????? Does it seem that a MRI is in order? Help!

Old 01-28-2004, 12:34 PM   #2

susie141 HB User
Re: Loss of hearing left ear

I definitely wouldn't be accepting that. Can you try to get a second opinion? Has the cause of your hearing loss been identified? Prednisone (steroids) are another medicine that can help reverse hearing loss, put whether or not they will help you depends on the cause. Try another ENT and good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #3

Brookdale Al HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookdale Al
Since Oct. my left ear has been progressively feeling more plugged up and the hearing has been progressively getting worse.. I have been to the ENT put on nasel spray, then antibiotics... no help or change in fact still getting worse. I must have lost 80% of the hearing in the ear. At this point he said to suck it up and come back in six months. It just seem that something other than that could be done. Any ideas???????? Does it seem that a MRI is in order? Help!
Thanks, Have tried Prednisone (steroids) as well as muscle relaxers

Old 01-29-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Al,
First, you need a good audiological evaluation to determine the extent and kind of hearing loss.

Did you indeed have an infection (usually painful) that required antibiotics? Often the middle ear will remain pus-filled for weeks or months after the infection has cleared. If it's clogged and resists drainage, it's possible that your eardrum might need to be opened to clear it. But it probably WILL clear spontaneously with time. Long hot showers, a humidifier for sleeping and patient long term decongestants (Sudafed-[OTC generic pseudoephedrine at $$Dollar Stores] perhaps) might help....Maybe 25-50 mg/day?

But get that diagnosis first...if your ENT won't give you one, call him names and then see somebody GOOD!
I actually called an old ENT a QUACK and much, much more to his face once- it's very satisfying. This man might as well have been named DONALD! I correctly diagnosed otosclerosis and wanted surgery (this was soon after they had devised stapedectomy) because I was going deaf but could hear my humming wristwatch LOUDLY through my teeth but not my ears...he diagnosed that my "eardrums were 'red as meat' and I'd need 6 months of thrice weekly throat sprays of gentian violet BY HIM"...like a $million$ dollars worth???
I said, "What about otosclerosis?" He said "Yeah, you could have that too!!!"
That's when I BLEW UP!

That was 30 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday...it was THAT satisfying

Last edited by zip2play; 01-29-2004 at 05:46 AM.

Closed Thread