It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #1

jdub12 HB User
Anyone know why my right ear constantly feels like I have it underwater?

I ws sick about 2 weeks ago and had a lot of sinus mucus. I blew my nose constantly, but also too antibiotics and got rid of the sickness. About 2 weeks ago, I believe I went into the pool and started having my symptoms. Basically, my right ear sounds like bass...or like its underwater. The only way to get it to go normal is if I plug my nose and breathe IN as hard as I can. If I breathe out, it gets worse...so only IN does it get normal. As soon as I swallow, it get all underwatery sounding. Another thing I can do is put my chin to my chest and hang my head upside down and it immediately fixes itself...however, when i pick my head up it goes back. Ive tried over the counter swimmers ear drops, etc. Nothing seems to work...and its very annoying to talk and hear this echo in your head. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 05:47 AM   #2
(female)

DebbieT HB User
Re: Anyone know why my right ear constantly feels like I have it underwater?

Hi there, don't know what the problem is but I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. Was on holiday last week and had a dip in the pool and since then my ears have been 'plugged' up. Driving me loony! Anyone have any answers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
(female)

DebbieT HB User
Talking Re: Anyone know why my right ear constantly feels like I have it underwater?

Its me again. Just tried what you said about holding your nose and breathing in instead of out and my ear popped and cleared! Unfortunately, I then had a crackling watery sound in my ear and it blocked up again. Anyway, I kept holding my nose and breathing in and eventually it cleared and has stayed clear! Excellent! Don't know whether you want to try it. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:44 AM   #4

Johnnyw88 HB User

hi i too have the same problem. But ever time i touch my ear it hurts, i know its not an ear infection becasue i have had this problem befor.

I tryed to do that blowing in, but im afraid that it migth do something bad.
Should i go on ahead and do it?

Last edited by Johnnyw88; 09-27-2004 at 12:47 AM.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #5

Chicago Sandy HB User

Don't mess around self-treating this. True, it could be simple "swimmer's ear" (aka otitis externa, an infection or inflammation of the ear canal) but the feeling of fullness and the hearing disturbance, coupled with the fact that you get relief from dipping your head forward but it comes back when you lift your head, suggests it could be some form of eustachian tube dysfunction--either congestion or patulous (abnormally open) tube. See an ENT right away. If you have managed care insurance, insist your "gatekeeper" doc give you an ENT referral.

And for pity's sake, DON'T put anything in your ears (except for earplugs to protect against noise) that your doctor didn't tell you to!!!!! Don't waste your money or hearing on over-the-counter "remedies."

Old 09-28-2004, 03:42 PM   #6

Johnnyw88 HB User

ok well here for you to better hear what i hear in my rigth ear.
(This may be a bit weird but do it if you want to hear what i hear)
Ok stick your finger in your ear and then that hole that goes up, make your finger go over it, so then you should hear very low in your rigth ear -(if you do this this ownt be perminiate so no need to worry)

But thats what i ehear in my ear, expect mine wont go away.

Old 10-02-2004, 02:07 PM   #7

Johnnyw88 HB User

ok if you have what i have, the best thign to do is just wait it out.
Try not messing with your ear or anything like that.

Just leave it, within a week or less it shoudl jut pop. And be cleared all out.
If it takes more than 1 week just still wait it out, me it took me nearly a month to get it out.

So best thing to do is wait it out, or try blowing out yer ears.

Last edited by Johnnyw88; 10-03-2004 at 05:05 PM.

Closed Thread