It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 01:45 PM   #1

kena HB User
Question heart beating in ears

I have heard my heart and blood pumping in my ears since April. It never goes away. It seems like it is worse when rain is coming. I thought it was allergies, the claridon seems to help. I went to a ENT Doc and he wants me to get an MRI so he can see how my blood is flowing in my head to rule out certain things. I am debating getting this test done.

Has anyone out there experienced this? Some days I can hardly stand it and my ears hurt some, and some days it is very mild. I need help getting rid of this and the doctor I went to just doesn't seem very helpful.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:46 PM   #2

kena HB User
Re: heart beating in ears

I have heard my heart and blood pumping in my ears since April. It never goes away. It seems like it is worse when rain is coming. I thought it was allergies, the claridon seems to help. I went to a ENT Doc and he wants me to get an MRI so he can see how my blood is flowing in my head to rule out certain things. I am debating getting this test done.

Has anyone out there experienced this? Some days I can hardly stand it and my ears hurt some, and some days it is very mild. I need help getting rid of this and the doctor I went to just doesn't seem very helpful.[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #3

Johnnyw88 HB User

yea i have heard my ears do that same thing too, just try and laydown for a while and drink hot things, this may help my just went away eventally

Old 10-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
(male)

berg0449 HB User

One thing that will help get your mind off it is to have other sounds around you. I have had it for about 4 years. I do not notice is as much nowdays, except when in a very quiet room. I try to have a fan running at night to have background noise.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:14 PM   #5

skweezal HB User

Mine just started last week. Especially at night...makes it hard to sleep. It is only in my left ear. I went for a run in a 50 mile an hour headwind (no lie)....since then I have had this issue. My blood pressure is normal.
It is unnerving....glad to know others have had this problem.
skweezal

Old 11-04-2004, 07:18 AM   #6
(female)

TRACIEL HB User

I have had this for the past 2 years, it comes and goes, but really gets bad when it is raining as well, mine is in my right ear.

My docter thinks it's my eustationary tubes, really all my problems started after I had my braces off. Sudafed really helps with the pressure. If I turn my neck in a certain direction it gets really loud.

Old 11-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
(female)

Ms.Florida HB User
Unhappy Re: heart beating in ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by skweezal
Mine just started last week. Especially at night...makes it hard to sleep. It is only in my left ear. I went for a run in a 50 mile an hour headwind (no lie)....since then I have had this issue. My blood pressure is normal.
It is unnerving....glad to know others have had this problem.
skweezal

Old 11-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #8
(female)

Ms.Florida HB User

I'm new posting, so please bear with me..
On the heart beating in the ears...I have had that also, and was told to cut out nicotine and caffeine at night time...I've tried placing a cotton ball in my ear, crazy, but it seems to help, and when going to sleep, lay on the side of the ear that you hear the beat..

And for the past 3 days now, I've started having a pulsating tapping sound in my right ear, comes and goes, mostly at night..sounds like a woodpecker is in my ear..
drives me nuts! Have to block the ear with a cotton ball, then I don't hear it..
Anyone else experience this?

Old 11-07-2004, 05:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Florida
I'm new posting, so please bear with me..
On the heart beating in the ears...I have had that also, and was told to cut out nicotine and caffeine at night time...I've tried placing a cotton ball in my ear, crazy, but it seems to help, and when going to sleep, lay on the side of the ear that you hear the beat..

And for the past 3 days now, I've started having a pulsating tapping sound in my right ear, comes and goes, mostly at night..sounds like a woodpecker is in my ear..
drives me nuts! Have to block the ear with a cotton ball, then I don't hear it..
Anyone else experience this?
these are all symptoms of muscle spasms in the middle ear.
look up middle ear myoclonus, stapedial or tensor tympani,
the woodpecker is most likley the tensor tympani.
good luck, lib

The Following User Says Thank You to lib For This Useful Post:
Supaduck (07-11-2012)
Old 11-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #10

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib
these are all symptoms of muscle spasms in the middle ear.
look up middle ear myoclonus, stapedial or tensor tympani,
the woodpecker is most likley the tensor tympani.
good luck, lib
I have this stuff too, just wondering...How old are all of you people. I am only 16! my sounds like this pounding sound and it nevr goess away, it is soo annoying.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:26 AM   #11

colsy HB User

well if you read the post i made: colsy > earache and if the symptoms sound similar then it could just be an ear infection. that's what I had and my ear is fine now. it was fine after a couple of weeks of putting in speacial ear drops. hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:22 PM   #12
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Hearing your heart beat in your ears is called pulsatile tinnitus and can be very serious. That's why your doctor is having the Mri performed. Abnormalities in the arteries carrying blood to the brain, in the vicinity of the ear, can cause this.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:33 AM   #13
(female)

LemonSupreme HB User

I have had this for 5 years. I have had MRI's, MRA's, hearing tests, CT scans, X-rays, and an angiogram. All were normal. Now that I'm pregnant, it is worse. I know it can be frustrating. The best thing to do is try to forget about it and get your mind on something else. I would recommend having some testing done though.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
(female)

Diane 11 HB User

I have been having a heartbeat and swooshing sound in my right ear for 6 months. It aways feels full. I have been to two ent doctors and an allergist. I also had a MRI. It was clear of infections or tumors. It is very uncomfortable. My ent wants to do minor surgery in the ear. He feels there is a extra piece of skin that is covering the eardrum and that is why it won't open. The pressure in the left ear is ok, but the right one is showing nothing. He took a hearing test and said it is ok. I'm nervous about having it done as he has to go near or into the eardrum. It may create other problems or bring on vertigo which I am prone to. Has anyone out there ever had such an operation and what were the results.

Last edited by Diane 11; 02-03-2005 at 06:55 PM. Reason: None

Old 02-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #15
(female)

TRACIEL HB User

Hi Diane,

I'm curious have you ever had braces?

My symptom is exactly the same - although I only get the pulsating or "swooshing" noises if I bend down or turn my head in a certain direction, right ear only - I have no insurance and have not had any tests done, although I have had this for 2 years and my dr. said that if it was anything serious that it would have gotten much worse. He says that my eustationary tube remains closed due to allergies, not sure if that is the case or not. My own opinion is this was caused by my braces, I had my braces taken off and 3 months later I began to have this problem, I'm thinking muscular or something like that.

I know nothing about the surgery but wish you the best of luck.

Tracie

Closed Thread