It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User
Ear ringing after during middle ear Infection, scared!

Hi all,

Two weeks ago I started with a light flu which ended up with about a weeks' worth of nose blowing.

On about the 6th morning of all night nose blowing, I was in the shower and realized I had clogged my right middle ear after a nasty nose blow.

There was no pain and I may have done this to myself many years ago, which quickly popped and unclogged within an hour.

This time, however, my ear did not unclog and I Stupidly did not think of creating light pressure by plugging my nose and blowing lightly, which I now know to do immediacy to avoid a potential infection.

My ears still did not unclog, and I started to worry. I started to notice the pressure buildup and then some minor pain.

The pain got worse and I started to feel the swishing of liquid in my ear.

Then the ringing started, it would not go away, going from lighter to stronger, then back again, throughout the days and nights. I, again, stupidly decided to search for a home remedy instead of using the insurance I pay so much for. On the third morning of not sleeping because of pain and ringing, I gave up and did a walk-in to a local ENT in town.

The ENT took only 2 seconds to tell me I had a ear infection, which he said were rare in adults with no-known history of ear infections, but I had one and it hurt like hell.

He prescribed antibiotics for 10 days, which now have come and gone. I now have no more pressure, very light and passing pressure in the morning, my ears are still recovering. My main problem is with the ringing and the sensitivity to sound. I "hear" almost to well (yet still feel somewhat deaf), and the ringing is becoming very tiresome, I am feeling very disconcerted.

I have been taking sleeping pills for the ringing, Ambien, to sleep, but this supply is about to end and I am frightful of how the heck I am going to go to sleep every night when the pills run out. I "think" that the symptoms will pass with time, but at this exact moment I feel like it will never go away. I am very scared about not being able to sleep.

I have read stories of people on these boards who have had ringing in their ears since childhood, which freaked me out.

Please someone comment on this and tell me that they also "had" ear-ringing from an middle ear infection, which eventually went away.

HELP!

Thank you,
Fabian.

Last edited by hpbguyfromca; 11-09-2004 at 07:45 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to hpbguyfromca:
Daniiella (08-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 04:27 AM   #2
(male)

Crazymotorbiker HB User
Re: Ear ringing after during middle ear Infection, scared!

Hi, i had the same problem about 3 months ago which scared the living daylights out of me.Im still recoverying from it but i am getting better. I had a clogged ear and terrible ringing.I also had sound sensitivity. Eventually i went to the ENT who diagnosed me. He said i could of had an ear infection sometime within the last month which caused me the clogging and pain, which i had.And also the rininging.

Very slowly i started to get better, the ringings subsiding and the pressure and fullness have all gone. YOU WILL GET BETTER. The worst thing to do is worry about it, it made my problems 10 times worse. In fact i had to go on antidepressants.

I couldnt sleep and i thought everything was going to be like that forever, but it wasn't. Im nearly a 100% again. And i will get totally better.

So please dont worry, you will be alright, the ringing will subside and soon enough you wont need sleeping pills to sleep. Ive been there and it isnt nice, but give it time. YOU WILL GET BETTER.
Shaun.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User

Update: I've been slowly, but surly feeling a little better.

I have been cutting my sleeping pills in half till having only a few. Tonight will be the third night without sleeping pills, having tried to get used to the ringing sounds in my ear.

I have been sleeping a little better withou the pills, (not getting up 50 times, trying to get used to not having the sleeping pills) (still a few in the bottle).

My ear is still sensitive to sound and the ringing has not gone away. It's been about 3 weeks total since the infection.

Fabian.

Last edited by hpbguyfromca; 12-01-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User

UPDATE:
It has been about a month since my ear infection.

I have no pain and have regained about (what i perceive) 90% of my ear functions. I still have sensativity to loud noises, such as using a pair of headphones so I think I am still healing.

I still have a ringing in my ear and have learned to sleep with it, it sucks and I hope it goes away.

I can successfully produce and release pressure in my ear.

At least there is no pain.

So, Crazymotorbiker, by these accounts, am I on track..?

Thanks,
Fabian.

Last edited by hpbguyfromca; 12-01-2004 at 02:08 PM.

Old 01-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
(male)

trumpy HB User
Question Re: Ear ringing after during middle ear Infection, scared!

Hi guys. I feel your pain. I have had the same problem. I got ear infections and my ears started ringing at the beginning of December and they still ring. I also have the sensitivity to noises. I went to an ENT a couple of weeks ago and he said: "My best guess is that it will go away." That really didn't comfort me very much. It's a shame that the best he could come up with is a guess.

It has been tough trying to get used to this stuff. I have trouble falling asleep too. I've been pretty down about it too.

How common is this problem? Can anyone here shed some more light on the subject? Flamaest, Biker: Can you give me an update on your situations and how to cope with this stuff?

Old 01-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User

It been almost 2 months.. all is working about 99.9 percent ok, except for this ringing in my ear.

My ENT said he simply could not say for sure if the ringing would go away. It is a bit depressing. I also want MROE PEOPLE to report their successes, I can't believe I got this from a stupid (what sounds like mild) ear infection.

On the positive side, I almost never can hear the ringing during my waking hours..

F.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:26 AM   #7

westseth HB User
Cool Re: Ear ringing after during middle ear Infection, scared!

It will go away. Go to your doc. for antibiotics, a good prescription nose spray, and use one of the over the counter nasal saline solutions. Doc. may want to put you on steroids as well.

The tube between your ear drum and your nose (eusthascian sp?) is a tricky little dickens. It is supposed to open when you yawn, and swallow to allow new air into the tube (one way tube, inner ear, air is absorbed. That is why they place tubes it sort of circumvents part of the air flow to allow fresh air to come in via the dr. placed vent. tube). It can become blocked by fluids, and or your adenoids!! Despite the claim of some docs. adults can have adenoids that are huge. Colds, allergies, flu etc etc can aggreviate the SOB to do some weird things.

The worse thing you can do is panic. Your hearing will return and the noise will subside. If the ENT wants to cut on you PLEASE get a second opinion. I did not and after having a tube put into my left ear to equalize the air pressure I am almost deaf. But in my case I have extreme confidence hearing will return. At the same time I had the tube put in I let them do a new radio frequency procedure to reduce the soft part of the throat pallette for snoring. Guess what? That is about the same place as the adenoids!! I am going to ent on Monday to see what he says. But I will bet the procedure screwed up the adenoid and blocked the estuschian tube.

Watch what you read on the internet proper or soon you will think you have every malady you can think of. Remember no one can diagnose you on the internet.

As far as the ringing goes it is called tinnitus (? sp). If I am in a really quiet room it sounds as if I am hearing high pitches etc. I sleep with a Hepa type fan on for the noise, and to clean the air. It helps. My saviour in the ordeal is sleep. Cause when I am sleeping I do not notice!!! At my worse times the ear is deaf and I can hear my heart beating in the drum. Talking about a crock!!

Oh by the way:
"Please someone comment on this and tell me that they also "had" ear-ringing from an middle ear infection, which eventually went away."

Again- It will go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fear is your worse enemy.

God bless and good luck.

Last edited by westseth; 01-02-2005 at 08:34 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
(male)

Crazymotorbiker HB User

Hey,
Sorry i haven't put an update up for a while. I've been really busy with college work.
I'm really glad to hear your getting better Its really horrible having problems with your hearing.
My hearing is perfect again, i can hear just as well as i used to. I still have a bit of ringing but it seems to be getting better each day. I have been taken some suppliments which seem to have helped me, maybe they could help you also:

Vitamin B4
Vitamin B12
Codliver Oil
1 Asprin a day

Im sure the ringing will go. You just have to give it time. 4 months ago i thought my life was ruined.Now my hearing has returned to normal i feel great again and you will too. This problem isn't the end of the world for me it made me see life in a completely different way...A better way

Hope you continue to get better.
Shaun

Old 01-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

soldatos HB User

does anybody with this get off balanced feeling?

Old 03-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
(male)

StephenW HB User

I've had a stopped up ringing ear for about 3 years now. I just recenlty had another ear infection so the hearing loss has gotten drastically worse along with the ringing. Just finished a dose of antibiotics but they did not help. I've tried nasal sprays, sudafed, benadryl, and a host of other meds that just don't seem to do anything for me. I'm hoping to get medical insurance one of these days so I can just get the surgery done. Until then, I have to deal with the deafening ringing in my ear. Some nights it so bad it keeps me up.

The following user gives a hug of support to StephenW:
Calastein (11-26-2010)
Old 03-23-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
(male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

Hi Fabian,
You may find my story interesting and maybe informative. You'll see I have many of the same problems you've been going through! In this catagory (Hearing Disorders) on same page, look under both my posts listed as "PLEASE, DESPERATELY NEED HELP, CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE" and "TAKING PREDNISONE FOR SUDDEN HEARING LOSS, RINGING GETTING WORSE?". My story may help answer some of your questions as well as feedback from others who answered my Threads. Best of luck to you in finding
answers and your road to recovery!!

MMS1

Old 03-23-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
(male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

SHAUN,
Sorry I took so long to get back to your reply on my thread (see "PLEASE, DESPARETLY NEED HELP, CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE") in the "Hearing Disorder" catagory (should be on first page), but I explain all in my reply to yours. I also asked a couple questions on your condition to see if we coincide on a couple things. Hope you're doing better! Thanks again for your reply.

MMS1

Last edited by MMS1; 03-23-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:46 PM   #13
(male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

Hi Trumpy,
We share some common problems. Under this catagory "Hearing Disorders", check out my threads listed under, "PLEASE, DESPARATELY NEED HELP, CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE" and, "TAKING PREDNISONE FOR SUDDEN HEARING LOSS, RINGING GETTING WORSE?". My problem started the beginning of February and you'll probably see a lot of similar problems. Feel free to give feedback, I'll be happy to offer any suggestions based on my experiences with this all as well as shared feelings! Good luck on getting Better, It's a HARD ROAD,, I've been there day and night for the past EIGHT weeks and suffer with ANXIETY, PANIC AND DEPRESSION from the moment I wake up, till the moment I TRY to sleep!! Good luck!

MMS1

Old 03-23-2005, 09:50 PM   #14
(male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

Hi Westseth,
If you care to read my posts (I have two under this catagory, "Hearing Disorders") "PLEASE, DESPARATELY NEED HELP, CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE" and "TAKING PREDNISONE FOR SUDDEN HEARING LOSS, RINGING GETTING WORSE" (should be on page one), I'm open for any suggestions or comments. Best of Luck to you!!

MMS1

Old 08-27-2005, 09:12 AM   #15
(female)

ILHDbagger HB User

The easiest way to cure an ear infection--go to your local drug store, pick up some VITAMIN E OIL --warm the container in some hot water until just about room temperature, and apply a few drops in each ear twice a day. The pain is gone within 3 minutes, and the infection itself is gone within just a few days! Works wonders for me!

Closed Thread