It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

poobah HB User
Unhappy Low pitch humming/ringing in ears..driving me insane ! HELP !!

About 5 years ago I was laying in bed one night and I heard this low pitch humming noise. I thought it was some machinery in the distance but I discovered it was ringing in my ears.
The ringing has been going on and off since then. About two weeks ago was when it most recently started again.
It is driving me insane and I am unable to sleep at night.

It won't stop and I really don't know what to do.

I once saw an ENT about this ringing in my ears but he had no explanation as to why it was happening. What a waste of money that was.

It's worse when it's really quiet, like when I go to bed. I've tried leaving the radio on to try and distract the ringing but no luck with that.

Honestly it's getting to the point where I think I'd be better off dead, rather than having this constant ringing and humming going on in my ears.
It's leterally driving me crazy.

What can I do ??????

Old 02-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
(female)

H-impaired2 HB User
Re: Low pitch humming/ringing in ears..driving me insane ! HELP !!

Hi,
You have a condition called tinnitus. In some people, the frequency of the noise is easy to ignore, in others, the pitch of it is too high or low to be able to ignore it. There is help out there! Please don't stop seeing a doc. until someone helps you. I used to have it really bad. So bad that the only way I could sleep was with the T.V. blaring. Talk to your health food store clerk, your doctor, go on tinnitus message boards. Any where you can think of for getting help. Oh, and just a little tidbit of info. William Shatner, the actor, has suffered with tinnitus most of his adult life. So you are in good company! Keep your chin up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
(male)

azure46 HB User

I have had ringing in my ears for one year now. I use a small fan while I am at work and while I am trying to fall asleep. I sleep more now because I can't stand the ringing.

Old 05-18-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
(female)

lucylane HB User

My ent doctor told me to just live with my pulsatile tinnitus. I obviously found that advice incredible. My gp gave me prescriptions for 2 meds that have helped me rid myself of the noise for 80 to 90% of everyday. They are:-

minimum dose - effexor - anti-depression capsule (time release)
" " - clonazepam - anti-anxiety tablet

I've taken the above for 5 years now and my life to say the least is greatly improved. You could just try the clonazepam, if you are not suffering from any depression or try them both. It works for me.

Last edited by lucylane; 05-18-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Closed Thread