It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

Cuilc HB User
Tinnitus - does it ever go away?

Ever since I had an ear infection over 4 weeks ago, I've had tinnitus, 24/7 in my right ear. It was very severe at the beginning, so much so that I could hardly hear any exterior sound normally. (I have a hearing loss in my right ear) I posted earlier that I'd found some info on drugs that can cause tinnitus or deafness. I went through 3 rounds of antibiotics, decongestants and some temazepam (stopped that after a week when I read it could cause tinnitus) to help me sleep. I'm hoping that now my system has been free of any drugs for over a week that I might see some improvement.

Has anyone any good news to report? Does it ever go away?

Last edited by Cuilc; 05-03-2005 at 03:06 AM.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User
Re: Tinnitus - does it ever go away?

I had a mild ear infection about 6 months ago [32 years old], 1st one since i was 3 years old..

have had tinnitus since then.. no end in sight.. have tried all kinds of drugs and vitamens combos.. I guess I may end up with this forever.

At least i can't hear it during my waking hours..

I wish i had some better news..
F.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I've had tinnitus for at least 30 years. I've learned to live with it .

Old 05-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
(female)

Michelle M. HB User

I've had tinnitis for about the last 15 years and at first it drove me crazy, it's in my left ear only. I would think about it constantly. Now even though it's there a lot of the time, I rarely think about it except when I'm overly fatigued it does it much worse, then I really notice it. I think it's hereditary, since my dad has had tinnitis as long as he can remember.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
(female)

deaflegacy HB User

I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember and I don't like it one bit. I found out wearing hearing aids help most of the times but from time to time, I can still hear it.

I hold the tinnitus partly responsible for the Sleep Terror Disorder... but then I could be wrong.

As far as I can see, I'm stuck with tinnitus for life.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:40 AM   #6

Jacd31 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuilc
Ever since I had an ear infection over 4 weeks ago, I've had tinnitus, 24/7 in my right ear. It was very severe at the beginning, so much so that I could hardly hear any exterior sound normally. (I have a hearing loss in my right ear) I posted earlier that I'd found some info on drugs that can cause tinnitus or deafness. I went through 3 rounds of antibiotics, decongestants and some temazepam (stopped that after a week when I read it could cause tinnitus) to help me sleep. I'm hoping that now my system has been free of any drugs for over a week that I might see some improvement.

Has anyone any good news to report? Does it ever go away?
I have tinnitus right now as a side effect of loud noise. For 5 days I had severe pounding, ringing, static and pain in both ears, hearing loss and I heard voices. I went to an ENT that perscribed steroids, which have helped significantly...and I mean that. I stopped taking my allergy medicine, which has helped some more with the side effect of tinnitus (it can cause ringing in the ears). It's not completely gone yet but I can sleep. Still waiting for the hearing loss to come back but I know there is a chance that it may never come back. From what I've heard, your symptoms could be treated the same way early on but, I'm not 100 percent sure.....if you have not gone yet...see an ENT right away...they will do a number of tests that your primary care doctor would not. I have also had tinnitus from sky diving, flying and scuba in the past but that went away after two days...never as bad as it was last week.

Best of luck to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jacd31:
scottkuz (03-28-2011)
Old 05-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
(female)

Aleka HB User

Hi All-- This is my first post on here.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello and let you know I have tinnitus as well. Had it for over 20 years and have had to just learn to live with it.

Wish someone would come up with a cure for this. The ringing can drive me batty sometimes. Some days are worse than others for me.

Take care--

Old 05-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #8
(male)

Crazymotorbiker HB User

Hey,

I've had tinnitus ever since i went to a concert last July. For 3 months i had constant ringing, which led me to the breaking point. But it slowly statred to get better, until after about 8 months i could no longer hear the rining. Im not sure wether i got used to it or wether it just went away.

Just recently the rining has started again, quite bad in both ears, over the past weeks i have been taken a number, rather alot of vitamins which seem to have turned my ring into a more comfortable hiss, in fact at times i can hardly hear it. I'm hoping that eventually it will blend back in and i will no longer hear it again.

I found these vitamins, after lots of reasearch on the net, to be(possibly), effective at lowering the volume of tinnitus:

Magnesium-150mg twice a day
Selenium & Vitamin A, C & E (Combined Into one tablet)-One a day
Vitamin C-One a day
Zinc 15mg-One a day
Vitamin B12-One a day
Ginkgo Biloba-One a day
Cod Liver Oil-One a day

I have also stopped drinking coffee and alcohol, not an easy thing to do if your a student :-) , as these also affect the volume of tinnitus. I have also found that smoking a little bit of weed now and again is also good at reducing the volume.

You need to also buy a decent pair of earplugs, any loud noise can easily trigger off your tinnitus, making it worse.

Sorry to rant on, hope your hearing gets better soon.
Shaun

Last edited by Crazymotorbiker; 05-12-2005 at 04:57 AM.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
(female)

lucylane HB User

YES! I heard from someone who said his went away. If yours was caused by an infection in your ear and you were given prescriptions from your doctor, I would take them as prescribed and try not to panic. It sounds like you are suffering from a lot of anxiety, which could be making matters worse. Anxiety does make ear noise louder and faster. Yours may go away within a matter of days or weeks. In the meantime, maybe an anti-anxiety drug would help you to calm down. I take clonazepam, which is a great help for anxiety and tinnitus. Good luck and keep the attitude that this is probably a temporary condition because of the infection. It always pays to think possitive. Clonazepam, taken at bedtime will help you sleep also and you wake up rested from it. It is a very inexpensive drug and it works. My mom even takes it for her restless legs syndrome and it made it go away.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User

I would say that is premature, there are few people for who this actually goes away. my 2 cents after reseraching this for about 1 year with doctors, internet, freinds.. you name it.

F.

Last edited by hpbguyfromca; 06-23-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #11
(male)

MMS1 HB UserMMS1 HB User

I had HORRIBLE tinnitus since last February due to a Sudden Hearing Loss I suffered! I have tried EVERYTHING I've found on the internet as well as healthboards and NOTHING helps!!! It's driven me nearly crazy since it's every day, all day, through the night and has caused me to sleep on the couch for six months with the TV on and taking Xanax to help me get Three to Four hours of Interupped (up every couple hours or less) since this started! I know the Horrible General Anxiety Disorder which developed as a result of this only serves to make it worse, as does the sleep deprevation. But it's a vicious circle!! I'm Highly stressed because of the Unbearably loud screeching, hissing, ringing and squeeling day and night which causes me not to sleep which causes the noises to be worse,, etc., etc.,! Half the time the noise is SOOOO loud, I can't even here the TV without cranking it up almost full blast!! Things like Ginko Biloba (they say it takes at least six weeks to work,, I've been on high doses for over THREE MONTHS,, AND NO RELIEF) or Alpha Lipoic acid are supposed to help the tinnitus alot,, well, they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO CURE THIS!! If you read online about the conditions these supplements are supposed to help,, you'll find mostly memory enhancement, and they all seem to be great for diabetes or lowering blood pressure. These wonderful MIRACLE "cure all" supplements are no more then a placebo at best! No one pill can help the thirty or forty areas that these supplements all claim to help! I guess they figure since they're not really sure what these supplements help,, they'll just list every possible ailment they can come up with and figure that somebody will have to "think" they've gotten relief on their pills!
I recently tried a NEW WONDER SUPPLEMENT I read about,,,Vinpocetine. This is another "CURE EVERYTHING" Miracle supplement!! It's supposed to do everything from helping restore memory loss, help Alzheimers sufferers, help cure your vision problems and also hearing problems such as tinnitus,, with dozens of other areas of help,,(YEA RIGHT!)! I took it out of DESPERATION and after two weeks,, wonder of wonder's, my ringing dropped dramatically to a lower hiss (still annoying but nowhere near as bad as before!!) for three days straight. I figured this is it, I've found the CURE!! WRONG!!!!!!! After the three days, the horrible ringing, screeching and squeeling returned bad as ever and though I'm still on the Vinpocetine,, I have'nt had any relief since those three days. So,, I guess that short period was just a "fluke"? I feel it had NOTHING what so ever to do with the supplement, otherwise,, the tinnitus would'nt have gone right back to where it was with no further relief! I know I sound BITTER, FRUSTRATED, FED UP and HOPLESS but I have read that unless you're just one of the LUCKY infrequent or mild sufferers of this potentially disabeling and life altering disease,, you Will suffer with this TORMENT for life!!! As far as getting "used to it",, I can only wonder if I'll see that day, I'm no kid and this has already cost me a career as well as damage to my mental and physical health!
I can only hold despise and CONTEMPT for the JERKS in the medical profession that tell all us sufferers to "just learn to live with it,, nothing can be done",, as well as the Wonderful medical researchers that can't be bothered finding cures (obviously not enough of the JERKS are personally suffering with this horror) as well as the good ole GOVERNMENT who can't see their way to give more of our tax dollars to fund research on this ailment,, (their too busy investing our dollars in much more important areas,,, THEIR POCKETS!)!!
So,, "does it ever go away"? NO, I guess it does'nt. My heart goes out to all of us that are victims of an IMCOMPENTANT medical field and UNCONCERNED researcher's and Government for our health and well being!

Last edited by MMS1; 07-23-2005 at 10:48 PM.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #12
(female)

vek1972 HB User

hi,

I've had tinnitus for about 15 years since an ear infection that I had when I was 18.

I hate to say it, but you do learn to live with it. It may take some time (I was goign crazy for the first few months) but it is now just something that doesn't really bother me much anymore.

Hope your either goes away or you make peace with it.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

OokieWonderslug HB User

I've had tinnitus every since I can remember. It never has gotten better. It never goes away, not even for a second. It's as loud if not louder than the cicadas outside in summer time. It's a high pitched tone, around 8,000hz. I once made a computer program that matched the frequency and volume so my family could hear what I hear and they forced me to turn it off after about 10 seconds. It's made me a little crazy, but I deal with it. From what I have read there is a cure. But you can only get it in Israel and it costs about $10,000 for the treatment and takes several months. There is supposed to be only one doctor in the world who can treat it right. I have found that music is a good way to mask it. Sometimes though music won't cover it completely. I don't have a question, just wanted to share. No one knows what I would give for one minute's silence. It's not as loud first thing in the morning, but after my first smoke of the day it get's it normal volume and stays there. It gets louder a few days before I get a cold too. When I had teeth I could bite down hard and make it louder. Doesn't do that anymore since I got upper dentures.

I did invent a cure for this problem. At the time science was not advanced enough to implement it. But I read recently that progress was being made in that area. My cure is to use gene therapy to coax the hairs in the cochlea to regrow. So there is hope that someday we can find help. Not now, but soon.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I'm convinced that the answer is NO...tinnitus is forever, or at least til the moment of death. All eternity would be something akin to HELL?

I've been intrigued by the prospect of that crystal balancing thing...otolith repositioning, sounds like something I might try if I found a cheap practioner and some money I didn't mind tossing away....yeah RIGHT!

I just try to ignore it the best I can. It's been 30 years! As long as it allows me to hear AROUND IT, I can deal!

Closed Thread