It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
(male)

paran01d HB User
Ear Crackling/Static

Hi, I looked through the threads and couldn't find any posts about this, i'll start with some of my history, I'm 17, 6"something don't go outside much, love music and car audio(bass and such). Now the issue, I've had this problem for as long as I can remember, when i listen to loud music, or loud noises, headphones and such i sometimes experience a crackling or static like sound in my right ear, soemtimes the sounds don't even have to be loud it just happens and its really annoying because the static blocks out all other sounds, when i had my physical a few weeks ago the doctor checked my ears and didn't say anything was wrong. I don't know if its just psychological or if i've damaged my ear drum but its beginning to really get on my nerves, so if you have any insight please post i could use the help

Old 02-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: Ear Crackling/Static

that is middle ear myoclonus, look it up, stapedial myoclonus and tensor tympani syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
(male)

paran01d HB User

maybe you can clarify this a bit, after reading some of the google sites for these disorders, it could be just the middle ear muscle twitching or i have a brain disorder?

Old 02-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paran01d
maybe you can clarify this a bit, after reading some of the google sites for these disorders, it could be just the middle ear muscle twitching or i have a brain disorder?
more than likely just muscle spasms, i had the surgery and it helped a ton.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
(male)

paran01d HB User

can you tell me a bit about the surgery. I really want my ears to be normal again i can't go to parties or anything because the scratching and popping makes me....unpleasent.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paran01d
can you tell me a bit about the surgery. I really want my ears to be normal again i can't go to parties or anything because the scratching and popping makes me....unpleasent.
very simple, they clip the tendons to the spasming muscles.the problem will be finding a good dr to diagnose this.....where are you located?
if you look it up it will describe the surgery, very easy.
also you can read my old posts....tons of them.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
(male)

paran01d HB User

im loacated in canada saskatchewan regina, but i think that i would like to explore other options before surgery, not a big fan of going under the knife, it would also be a last resort for me to have surgery.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #8
(male)

jackisback HB User

I have the same thing happening to me! Last time I went into a loud club my ear was going off like crazy, and sometimes the water from washing my face has an effect. If not treating it is not going to make it worse, I guess it's not really anywhere near thinking about surgery. Right now, I am trying to find out if there is a product on the market that is a little ear plug which is not really visible to people that i could wear in clubs. I wouldn't be able to hear out of my right ear, but at least i wouldn't have to worry about messing anything up. I also listen to music A LOT, and I think this is the problem. I have been constantly listening to headphones for 6 years, and now that I am seeing a side effect, I want to avoid being someone who can't hear jack when I'm 40. I have turned down the volume on my mp3 player, and listened to music less. Also, you might want to look into getting a noise cancelling headphone piece, as i hear the little earphone plugs that go into your ear are the worst for your ear supposedly.

If anyone knows of an earplug that would not be very noticable please tell me.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
(male)

paran01d HB User

For jack is back, I have found that taking centrum one has helped a little bit in toning down the crackling i think that this is due to a mineral defficiency in my body i can't remember but i was pretty sure that this disorder could be cause by a lack of maganesium also i've found that even though i plug my right ear i still hear a popping and sucking sound as if my entire ear drum is moving back and forth in the ear its not a good idea to just plug the ear but maybe put a little bit of cotton inside the canal to help tone down the sound . I have a few questions for you ahve you found that you are more reactive to certain types of music or have you found that treble hurts and bass doesn't and vice versa. What I have found is that i can listen to bass music and bass beats super loud but as soon as the treble kicks in my ear starts to go off.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #10
(male)

jackisback HB User

The other day I shelled out $50 for a nice pair of headphones, though. They said they had noise reduction but the noise reduction doesn't really do anything. SBC HN050 Philips. You'll see it at Best Buy. I have been listening to music at higher levels, and had no problems whatsoever with my right ear. As opposed to my earphones which were still giving me some problems even at very low levels. I haven't been to any loud clubs or blared the music in my car lately, but I am pretty sure that problems I had with loud noise in the real world only effected me because of the damage earphones were doing.

I can't really think off of the top of my head whether bass or treble effect me more. I would probably say bass, because with these new headphones I was ecstatic to hear bass parts I didn't normally hear in the right ear. I think it was noise that played in my earphones but that I couldn't really hear in the right ear because of whatever reason, it was too dirty or close inside my ear. I'll look into magnesium supplements, thanks.

Closed Thread