It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
(male)

JAKE9364 HB User
Can Tinnitus Be Cured?

Have had Tinnitus for several years and also have lost my hearing to the point that I am going to get hearing aids. Is there a cure for tinnitus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Can Tinnitus Be Cured?

Jake,
As a general rule I will say NO, long term tinnitus cannot be cured but we can adjust to it. I can forget about miine until I read a post like yours; then I hear it loud and clear!

SHORT term tinnitus caused by a large dose of aspirin or other analgesics, an episode of hypertension, a cold or ear inflammation, or "ringing" caused by exposure to loud sound usually DOES go away quickly.

But if you've had it for months or years it is likely yours to keep.
I'm sure there are cases though where this isn't true.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

I've had tinnitus for about 10 years and just the past few weeks I think the ringing has gotten louder. Can this happen? Can depression/anxiety cause tinnitus to get worse?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Thanks ag1987! So the next question then is, when my depression is treated, can the tinnitus volume go down? It's really driving me nuts.

Are you from the country Greece? I was in Athens last November and loved it!!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

numbtoes HB User

I have seen a product in a health food store that says it "cures" tinnitus. Has anyone tried it? I didn't want to waste my money for a slim chance.
I have had tinnitus for 10+ years. When someone mentions it, the sound gets louder-otherwise I ignore it. Mine started after a sinus infection. The ENT doctor tried prednisone but it did not help. A couple of times recently I noticed the ringing was almost gone---then it started up again.

Last edited by numbtoes; 12-29-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
(male)

BiggerMac HB User

Numbtoes.... Don't waste your money on quack cures.
If there were a cure or even a treatment for tinnitus you wouldn't be reading about it in a magazine. It would be headline news around the world.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
(male)

nednj36 HB User

check the following:

-chocolate
-sodium intake
-msg
-cheese
-caffeine
-tobacco

if you eliminate these you should see a major improvement

Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
(female)

redcdg HB User

no tinnitus can not be cured, but usually is a symptom of a hearing loss or associated medication. try the sound soother from the sharper image it sells for 59 dollars and is great at night....

Old 05-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
(male)

Perspective HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE9364 View Post
Have had Tinnitus for several years and also have lost my hearing to the point that I am going to get hearing aids. Is there a cure for tinnitus?
I've had tinnitus for 26 years. For me, it's a high pitched hiss, like air escaping from a tube. The level of it varies from day to day but I have never been able to pin down anything that I may be doing that could possibly make it better or worse. When it's really bad I take carbamezapine (Tegratol), in small doses. This is a drug used in the treatment of epilepsy.

Because of the variable nature of my tinnitus, I cannot be really sure, after taking the drug, whether the improvement is due to it's effect or would it have improved anyway. There are always good days and bad days, you see.

However, there is a clue that it does have a beneficial effect as sometimes, superimposed on the hiss, I get a sound like an electric bell ringing, and always, without fail, on several occasions now, after taking it, the ringing bell stops completely within 24 hours and the hiss quietens down.

It's not a cure but it helps..... that is, for me.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
(male)

Geoff2007 HB User

The trouble in finding a cure for tinnitus is that it is manifested in so many ways:
  • exposure to loud noise resulting in hearing loss
  • ear and sinus infections
  • blows to the head
  • tumours
  • intracranial surgery
  • ototoxic drugs
  • depression and anxiety
  • drug withdrawal
to name the main causes. It is not going to be like the cure for cancer where we suddenly develop a method that enables antibodies to discriminate between normal cells and cancerous cells. In comparison it would seem the cancer cure is a much easier task.

Unless of course the solution to finding a cure for tinnitus is focussed on the common characteristic that each of the causes has and that is how the auditory cortex is perceiving the spurious signal being fed into the brain. For any tinnitus sufferer at some time an irregular signal has been detected and the flight or flight response has kicked in. The duration of the resulting state of anxiety is going to vary depending on the individual. For some it will be brief and the noise will be accepted into the auditory cortex's library of familiar sounds for others the sound will continue to be threatening and unacceptable. For these people the habituation process is slower, lasting months even years.

So how does modern medicine cure tinnitus? As an electrical engineer I could see this being done using an electronic device that stimulates the auditory cortex so as to negate the tinnitus signal. It should be possible with today's technology to build a focussed EEG that can monitor the characteristics of the auditory cortex. A benchmark can be established by listening to an array of different sounds. Anything else that is measured beyond the background noise is the patient's tinnitus signal. Once determined, a counter signal could be generated by the device that could be applied to the recipients head directly above the auditory cortex.

I have had tinnitus myself for two years. I am aware of it most of the time. My personality and my health at the time didn't let me let go of it. It is an unpleasant condition and I feel for fellow sufferers. I feel disappointed when I look at the research which is being done world wide. For a condition that affects so many people there should be a lot more money contributed to Tinnitus Research. The little research that is being carried out appears to have limited hope of providing any breakthroughs.

I sometimes think we the sufferers should band together and form our own association. As a group we would certainly have the motivation, empathy and I'm sure quite a few of us would have the skills to present cases to appropriate parties.

Well thats my view. Thanks for reading to the end.

Geoff

Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
(male)

TheAdventure HB User

I have had tinnitus for around 3 months now, although I am an optimistic person, and my optimism and research helps me keep hope that we will find a cure, and it will be soon.

My tinnitus I believe started not long after I got over a really bad cold, all my ears were popping and clogged up. The worst cold I had in my life I think! The tinnitus actually sounds like some sort of old TV, that high pitched noise you get from it. Very annoying, although I really try not to let it bother me. During the day while i'm working or outside I don't really hear it at all. At night its a different story however, but so far it's only affected my sleep once or twice for about 2 nights since I've had it.

I went to ENT and had a Tympanometry test and a hearing test. The Tympanometry showed that my left ear was abnormal, and also hearing was excellent on the right ear, and good on the left (just slightly lower than it should be). The ent doctor said he seen fluid in the ears and can take upto a year to go! so I'm still a little hopeful.

Unfortunately I don't believe i'm allowed to post research on this forum, but there have now been ANIMAL models of TINNITUS developed, and this will I am sure greatly improve our chances of a cure in the near future. We have also new and excellent imaging which will aid developing drugs or methods to reduce or eliminate it.

Remember that 30% of the soldiers coming home from Iraq are suffering from tinnitus, 50 million or so americans have it, around 10 million in the UK. There is money to be made by curing tinnitus and we will see more focus on this condition I assure you. For those that suffer for it for decades now, it seems hope is lost. But technology today is far more advanced, and research is only accelerating.

We will all beat this

for dealing with anxiety and depression take fish oil (omega 3), Vitamin D3 and magnesium. Also try Zinc, in deficiencies extra Zn might help. The others will boost your mood.

Matt

Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
(male)

TNT HB User

Hey everyone,

I don't have many posts on this forum, but all of them are pretty much the same as this one... but I'll try to make this one a little shorter..

I've now had Tinnitus since late July of 2007 after spending 6 hours between 2 nights at the same night club during a vacation. I'm 24 years old now and I have had a couple stereo systems in my cars already and I never experienced sound as loud as that night club was ever before (I really ought to sue the place or make a serious attempt at having them forced to turn down their music to a reasonable level). (To give you a general idea of this night club, it is kind of on the small side and in the middle is a dance floor with 2 walls of 8 seperate 15" speakers within 10 feet or so of people's heads, no joke.)

Anyways, I have had symptoms of tinnitus before each time I used to leave highschool or college classes and listening to my music in my car... very dangerous to my hearing, but I never realized the severity of the consequences of true Tinnitus. Now after having Tinnitus for 3 months I now realize how important it is to protect your hearing.

For me, the first month of going through with it was the worst month of my life. I could not sleep, think, or sometimes function properly, even to the point of getting dizzy sometimes because the sound and thoughts of it was so overwhelming to me. I am naturally in good spirits, but I was very very depressed the first month after being diagnosed with it and I thought my life was over, literally. And I had some serious thoughts of plans for myself if the tinnitus never calmed down at all because I felt like I would never be normal again and be able to carry out a productive life like I had hoped up until that point.

2 months into having the T, I decided to purchase some pills filled with Gingko Biloba extract with some garlic included. Supposedly the products designers say to allow at the very minimum of 3 months before determining any effectiveness, since problems with your hearing and ears are very very slow healing processes. I realize there are no actual cures or 100% effective remedies for T, but are there cases of people actually losing all symptoms of tinnitus after several months or even years after having it? I am confident that I will completely recover from hearing any tinnitus in my head (which has changed to it's highest pitch its ever been so far, but much less loud and much easier to get used to). The only times I now hear any sorts of Tinnitus are if I'm sitting in an enclosed room such as a bathroom or lying down in my bed. It seems to me that the Tinnitus gets louder if I press firmly on my ears or if I clench my teeth tight.

Thankfully, as I said, I continue to get better, either from natural processes or some herbal remedies I have been taking to the point where I think I'm 80-90% completely rid of my Tinnitus and I can finally sleep every night without having to take any medication or not having woken up from tinnitus.
I would just like to say that being depressed with Tinnitus will make it 10 times worse than it really needs to be. Depending on the severity of tinnitus you may be experiencing, you may seem more apt to become depressed, but that shouldn't stop you from trying to live a full life and trying to realize that you are not alone and there are millions of people around the world experiencing the same thing you are. As our technology continues to get better and better, I am confident that one day in my lifetime researchers will come to find a possible cure for Tinnitus to help anyone and everyone that has been to some of the worst symptoms to live through (depending on severity obviously).

I realize now that I said in the beginning of my post that it was going to be a short message, but I just can't help myself when getting on the topic of Tinnitus. It is very intriguing to me since I am now a victim and now a continuing survivor. The subject of Tinnitus will now always be an interest to me and I hope to only learn more about it in the future. I now have a much greater respect for anyone that has experienced Tinnitus, especially those who have had it for years.

Cheers everyone!

Closed Thread