It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

xdigitalxstarzx HB User
Unhappy Shooting pain in ear canal?

Hi, I have HORRIBLE shooting pain in my ear canal. I can barely sleep on my right side, if I touch any part of the ear or around the area it tends to pulse shooting pain. I was saw a doctor (who rushed through seeing me extremely fast) last week and he blamed it on my TMJ. That made sense for awhile considering I've always had slight problems in my right ear. I'd get a few seconds of clicking or frequency sounds but thats it. I've had that my entire life and I've gotten used to it. This is different because it hurts soooo much. He told me there was no infection or anything on my eardrum but after reading on *****.com, it sounds like "Ear canal inflammation or infection." The reason I say this is because on the symptoms section it says the following:

"Unlike a middle ear infection (acute otitis media), the pain of an ear canal inflammation or infection is worse when you chew, press on the "tag" in front of the ear, or wiggle your earlobe."

Anyone else have this? I've had some rubbing where I can hear something in my ear closing shut (which drove me crazy) for about 4 months and this for about 3 weeks now. I'm afraid it's getting worse.

Also, the past week I have started feeling faint and dizzy and extremely fatigued.

Last edited by xdigitalxstarzx; 02-01-2007 at 06:34 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to xdigitalxstarzx For This Useful Post:
windrider46 (03-16-2012)
Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
(female)

xdigitalxstarzx HB User
Re: Shooting pain in ear canal?

please? somebody? anything!

could it be pressure, fluid, etc? what part of the ear do you think is causing this? i almost pass out from this pain.

Last edited by xdigitalxstarzx; 02-22-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

middle ear myoclonus can cause pain, the muscle is to tight. explain more on the rubbing/ear closing off.....sounds like stimulation causes it, i can relate to that.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

Hi, I was looking up shooting pain in ear and came across your post. I am trying to figure out what is causing my pain. I am dx with MS and I also have TMJ. I have felt the pain in my ears from the TMJ but it is nothing like this.

The pain has been getting worse. It is when I am talking on the phone that on my left ear for too long, I get this shooting, awful pain, like a knife stabbing in my right ear. I scream it was bad. I can now trigger it by touch. I accidently touched my right ear and trigger the shooting pain. Now, it is started in my left ear. Eeeks, not both of my ears.

My research I believe since I do have MS lead me to the neuralgias. (nerve pain) Geniculate Neuralgia (GN), is a rare disorder that involves severe pain deep in the ear, that may spread to the ear canal, outer ear, mastoid or eye regions. The pain of GN is sharp, shooting or burning and can last for hours. Painful attacks can be triggered by cold, noise, swallowing or touch, but triggers are usually very unique to the sufferer. I also have Occipital Neuralgia from accident to my neck. That is a sharp, shooting pain that is like a knife into my forehead. I thought maybe the earpain could be part of the occipital pain as I saw a chart with the nerves going to the ears.

I will telling my neuro about it because it is getting worse. I going to have to get a speaker phone. Even with earbuds, the pain comes.

I hope you find out the cause of your pain soon.

Bunni
dx 12/06 MS
Avonex, Klonopin, Flexeril

The Following User Says Thank You to tiredbunni For This Useful Post:
windrider46 (03-16-2012)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
(female)

donna714 HB User

I can't sleep for the shooting pains deep in the inner left ear. I've had this for years and no one can tell me why. It's unbearable pain when it hits, otherwise there is no pain. It's stabbing in nature and can be every 10 seconds to every 10 minutes. I've tried aspirin, ear drops, pain meds and nothing helps! The episode can last for a few hours to a few days and afterwards (starts during) my skull gets so sensitive I can't brush my hair. This has also switched ears at times and is causing me great concern. My last episode was almost a year ago, but I've had this for as long as 10-15 years! I've had MRIs and seen doctors and I've been told everything from TMJ to "cluster" migrains. Anyone please have any clue? I cannot stand it.

The following user gives a hug of support to donna714:
jhmelody (06-11-2011)
Old 04-23-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
(female)

donna714 HB User

Thanks, after much research I come up with the same thing. It's the only one that makes sense. Now, how do I get a diagnosis? I don't find what tests are needed to determine if this is it.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
(female)

atlantagal HB User

Anybody still on this post? Today, I got my inner ear PAIN.. Geniculate Neuralgia..... anyone else?

Closed Thread