It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
(male)

MAC2007 HB User
Stapedectomy Recovery Rate

Hi there, I would be interested to hear from Stapedectomy survivors about their experience of the recovery process. Had my packing removed today after 9 days and although slight improvement in hearing from pre-op condition, its not the miracle cure I was hoping for. That said, I do hear people say that the recovery takes weeks if not months.

Anyone else with a similar experience of initial minimal improvement that subsequently had a full or marked improvement in their hearing over time?

Slightly down at the hearing results so far

p.s. - anyone suffer from inner ear pressure problems? Bending down to tie shoe laces is real PAIN - bllodrush to head followed by pressure in ear that makes me think its about to burst! I have been advised not to fly for 6 weeks and so I know the drum must be sensitive, but I was really surprised at the PAIN when I bend down.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
(female)

Monicas667 HB User
Re: Stapedectomy Recovery Rate

Mac -

You're in luck. There is board titled "My stepedectomy report" where a bunch of us survivors have reported on our recovery post-op.

I'm currently at 3 months and it does get better. I noticed results immediately, but after about 5 days it seemed to get worse and stayed that way for about two weeks. Now my hearing is fairly close to normal - this after not really hearing anything in that ear.

I can't speak to the pain since I didn't really have any after the first day. I do understand the dizzyness when bending down. Advice... don't bend .

Read the other reports and join in on reporting your recovery. We're all cheering each other on in this process.

Hope you feel better!!

Monica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
(male)

dwalt HB User

Mac-

I agree with Monica about recovery taking time. And please do read the thread she referred to "My Stepadectomy Report". My surgery was 6 months ago and my hearing is the same in both ears now. My repaired ear does still open and close but that is getting better. Ringing is still present but I've lived with that many years and will probably not improve.

I believe you will get direct information in the other thread and find a whole community of folks ready to share with you their experiences. Best of luck on your journey into healing and better hearing. It will happen.

Dwalt

Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi Mac: wave:

Here is the link to the other thread that Dwalt mentioned. There are 48 pages of posts from survivors, including Monica, Dwalt and myself (I had both ears done).

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=459767[/url]

Read them all, I believe it will help you on the road to recovery. Once you read it, you will understand this.....

BUMP...BUMP...BUMP.

Hang in there, you are almost past most of the annoying stuff!

More Later,

-Carol-

Old 12-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
(female)

sagrie22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicas667 View Post
Mac -

You're in luck. There is board titled "My stepedectomy report" where a bunch of us survivors have reported on our recovery post-op.

I'm currently at 3 months and it does get better. I noticed results immediately, but after about 5 days it seemed to get worse and stayed that way for about two weeks. Now my hearing is fairly close to normal - this after not really hearing anything in that ear.

I can't speak to the pain since I didn't really have any after the first day. I do understand the dizzyness when bending down. Advice... don't bend .

Read the other reports and join in on reporting your recovery. We're all cheering each other on in this process.

Hope you feel better!!

Monica

I'm into my 4th week of the opperation. After the first week of the opperation it was fine but then my ear started to block every second. I started to hear sound like a broken record. If I am traveling on the road and a car is going pass it sounds like a motor bike. Has anyone expreince the same problem. If so does this get better or not?

Sagrie

Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
(female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi Sagrie,

Mine did that for about a month each time and yes it does get better.

Join us at the other thread about stapedectomy recoveries. Lots of good info there.

The 1st thread is closed but a new one is there that is a continuation of that one.

At the top of this click on "hearing Discorders" then look for "My stapedectomy report".

See ya there and Good Luck on your recovery.

-Carol-

Old 12-20-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
(female)

sagrie22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB1 View Post
Hi Sagrie,

Mine did that for about a month each time and yes it does get better.

Join us at the other thread about stapedectomy recoveries. Lots of good info there.

The 1st thread is closed but a new one is there that is a continuation of that one.

At the top of this click on "hearing Discorders" then look for "My stapedectomy report".

See ya there and Good Luck on your recovery.

-Carol-

Hi! Carol

I am very new at this so please can you direct me on how to go to the Thread?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
(female)

CAB1 HB User

Sagrie..

Right above the top posting on this page in bold black letters is the phrase...
Hearing Disorders Message Board
Under that it says....healthboards.com Message Boards > Health Issues > Hearing Disorders > stapedectomy Recovery Rate

Click on the one that says "Hearing Disorders"
it will bring up a list.

Look for the ones that says "My Stapedectomy Report"

There is one with almost 1600 views and one further down the page that has almost 40000 views.

The 40K views is the 1st one we started where about 30 people had the surgery and posted their daily progress.

The one with 1600 views is the newest one (which is a continuation of the old one).

Read em all at your leisure. There are lots of good stories from people that have had the surgery in there. Very helpful information.

Have a great Day!

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 12-20-2007 at 02:34 PM.

Closed Thread