It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User
Does Dr. Poe treat palatal myoclonus?

I have read a lot about Dr. Poe on here, but am wondering...does anyone know if he actually does the Botox injections and/or other treatments for palatal myoclonus? I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know!

Maggs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User
Re: Does Dr. Poe treat palatal myoclonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay78 View Post
I have read a lot about Dr. Poe on here, but am wondering...does anyone know if he actually does the Botox injections and/or other treatments for palatal myoclonus? I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know!

Maggs
yes, he does treat pm, i have not gone for anything for pm, but he diagnosed me and is wonderful. he will do anything he can for a patient.....,awesome man.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

Lib,

Thanks so much for your reply! I am going to call Dr. Poe's office tomorrow to get more info. I anticipate a long wait before seeing him (I read somewhere it's usually a 3-month wait). However, I'm willing to wait in order to see the best!

Thanks,

Maggs

Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
(male)

TNT HB User

Hey Maggie, I think I may have some symptoms of palatal myoclonus as well. It's been going on for 3 solid months now where I might start talking, chewing, or turning my head in a quick direction that causes a quick "pop" in my left ear usually. It doesn't happen that often throughout the day, maybe 10 times a day or more and happens in less than a second. I'm just wondering if I have palatal myoclonus myself or if perhaps my tensor tympani spazzing (which my local ENT told he would look into) when I start using my jaw muscles more.

Please let me know if in fact you do actually schedule an appointment with him and how long that wait might in fact be. These infrequent popping sounds in my ear are driving me crazy, since I have been blessed with a healthy body throughout all my life, and even the tiniest little things wrong with me tend to drive me overboard for no apparent reason.

I've also had a severe case of Tinnitus following a vacation where I spent the last 2 nights at a night club for 6 hours total. I was drinking at the time and didn't realize how loud it actually was to be around the area and I've continuing to be Tinnitus free as each month goes by (thank god), before I couldn't sleep at all and would hear it in very quiet rooms like a bathroom. Now it's to the point where I actually have to try and listen for it in a bathroom or when I'm lying down on my side to see if it's actually there.

I hope you get this message Maggie or Lib, just so I might be able to have a conversation with someone who might actually be going through this or has past experience (Lib).

Thanks,
Ethan

Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

Hi Ethan,

Here's the deal with Dr. Poe: I called his office, and found out that you MUST be referred by another ENT doctor in order to see him. Actually, what they make you do is send all relevant records to them, and then they'll determine whether you see Dr. Poe or his partner. They are both highly specialized ENTs.

Anyway, I am going to see my ENT at UPMC in Pittsburgh, couldn't get an appt. with him until December 18th. He is a really great doc, and I know for sure that palatal myoclonus, aka "palatal tremor" is my problem. You can actually SEE my soft palate spasming, jumping up and down in the back of my throat. It doesn't happen all the time though...and I can control it to some extent. What drives me nuts is that it happens when I yawn, burp, say certain sounds, etc. Overall, I know it could be worse, but I'm tired of it because I've been living with this since April 2006!!!

The only thing I can recommend is that you make sure you're seeing a well-qualified ENT, one who actually understands these types of problems. I know that not all ENTs are well-versed in tensor tympani myoclonus, palatal myoclonus, etc...and if you do consider any treatment for your problem(s), make sure you find the absolute BEST doctor, someone that is experienced in these types of treatments! I'll let you know if I end up seeing Dr. Poe or his partner...

-Meg

Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

Also, make sure that you understand the potential side effects of any treatment you're considering...and how common these side effects are, how many times the doctor has performed this treatment, etc. You'll get through this

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
(male)

TNT HB User

Ok, please let me know how everything comes along... As for myself I think my symptoms might have more something to do with my Eustachian tubes opening up slightly after I finish swallowing most of the time. It's very weird because it doesn't seem to act up when I'm at home or anything but if I'm out and about or getting a little nervous for a job interview it starts to pop after I end swallowing and seems like it happens more often when I'm in a state of stress more than anything. I just wish I could have someone today just open me up and clean out my Eustachian tubes, as I have a feeling I have a sticky substance sitting in there following a bike accident I had in August where I almost passed out after getting back on my feet after the crash on the hot day. I could definitely tell something was happening inside my head as I began to feel light headed and noticed that something was happening to my ears :S

I would like to have help for this minor disorder, it's not causing me any pain, but certainly very annoying at the worst times and interrupts my thought process when it does occur.

I'm thinking about calling up my ENT from around this area and scheduling another appointment with him to see if he could prescrible me anything to either calm down my stress or to help build up the muscles around the Eustachian tubes.

I start a new job on Monday and hope that these pops would just stop everytime I had to think about something and swallow and have more pops taking place

Old 01-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

TNT, I haven't been on here much lately...but after reading your last post, I definitely don't think you have the same disorder as I do. I believe that *extreme* stress might have played a role in *developing this disorder*, BUT stress really doesn't have an impact on it anymore. Also, my stress is under control now. But after you have developed palatal tremors, you can be completely relaxed, and it won't make any difference in the symptoms, at least not in my case.

Anyway, I saw my ENT doctor in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago. He says I do NOT have "classic palatal myoclonus"...I just have a form of "palatal clicks." As some of you may know, the soft palate connects to the eustachian tubes, and the palatal movements cause the e-tubes to snap loudly. Unfortunately, no one in Pittsburgh treats this disorder, so I will have to travel. My doctor is currently trying to discuss this with other doctors in some online chat room (apparently all these renowned ENTs are in this chat room). We discussed the possibility of seeing Dr. Poe in Boston, but not sure yet who my doctor will end up recommending.

He also explained to me that too high of a dose (of Botox) could result in liquids coming out my nose when I drink, temporary speech impediment, etc. Obviously I want to go to the best possible doctor for treatment, and discuss ALL of the risks thoroughly. If anyone else is dealing with palatal myoclonus or related problems, please let me know!!

Last edited by MaggieMay78; 01-06-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
(male)

TNT HB User

Well Maggie, I've been working on a temporary basis for a really good company since Early December, and I thought it would be brutal for my Tinnitus because even though there are lots of employees here, you can still maybe hear a phone ring from 75 feet away in this building. But I figured if I just stay relaxed and don't focus on myself to see if I hear any ringing, I naturally don't hear any. Clenching my jaws though, does increase the volume that I once felt debilitated with months ago during the summer/fall. For me it's definitely a stress issue for about 90% of it, although I'm pretty sure there had to be some physical damage done to cause this sensation.

The popping in my ears which I figure is the eustachian tubes to be opening and closing only seem to get worse when I think that about that more also. Last couple of weeks have been great, hopefully I can keep myself stress free during these cold winter months, because the summer's just fly by for me.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
(female)

louann55 HB User

Yes this does happen with botox. I went in on a Tuesday and had a botox shot without really checking into it too much and now I am a basket case. My palate has been completely paralized. I can not talk without gasping for air if I can talk at all. When I drink liquids it ends up coming out of my nose. I wish somebody would have at least told me that botox can do this but I wanted the clicking in ears gone.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

Hi Louann,

Wow...I am sorry to hear about the side effects you're having!! If it's any consolation, I do think they will be temporary! I never got the Botox done, but I have learned a lot about it. Hopefully things will get back to normal for you in a few weeks. Please let us know!

Closed Thread