It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

AF244 HB User
My Stapedectomy report

Hi -
Thanks to the healthboards for offering this forum, and thanks to all of you for posting your experiences.

I have my stapedectomy scheduled for this Friday, 11/30 in Detroit, and I've spent the last hour reading all of the posts on this thread. It has really helped me know what to expect. I am 44, female, with significant hearing loss on one side. I am an otherwise very healthy person.

I do have a few questions:

I will be having local anaesthesia. It seems most of you have used general. Will my time at the hospital be less since I am using local? My surgery is scheduled for 7am (report at 6am). What time can I expect to be released?

How soon will I be able to drive?

My son made the freshman basketball team! How soon will I be able to handle the loud gym at his games?

I am a distance runner. When can I expect to run again?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll be having more specific post-op questions later, but these general things are what's on my mind right now.

Last edited by AF244; 11-26-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
(female)

CAB1 HB User
Re: My Stapedectomy report

Hi AF...Good Luck to you.

No one can give you solid answers to your questions but i'll tell you when I did these things:
Local - I had general so I can't answer as to how long before you go home. I went the same day so I would assume you would too.

Driving - I drove on day 8. I was ok.

Basketball games - I went after 2 weeks and it was extremely loud. The 3rd week, I put cotton in my ear and put on one of those ear warmers over it to muffle the noise. That worked well.

Running/Exercise - Doc told me not until at least week 4 or 5, but I did it at week 2 because I felt fine. Depends on the person I suppose.

Update from the doc today....

****Prosthesis slipped. (right ear)****
Revision stapedectomy will be done on Dec. 18th.
With me blowing my nose for 4 solid months...I knocked it loose.

So.....watch the sinus issues people. Keep sinus/allergy issues under control if at all possible.

My Left ear is fine, I was 6.5 months post op when I got clogged up. I was only 1.5 months post op with right ear and blew gently for the first few weeks. About 2.5 months post op, I started blowing as normal but evidently it was still too soon.

Doc said I could hear at times after I blew my nose because prosthesis had shifted back in place briefly while blowing and that's why the ability to hear came and went, aka "opened and closed".

So.....I get to go through all of this again.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

ttyl
-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 11-26-2007 at 04:18 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to CAB1 For This Useful Post:
Leprdprint (11-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
(female)

Annie109 HB User

Hi, all.

I am 15 days post op.

Carol, I'm sorry to hear about you having to do this a third time, but at least you know what to expect and that is half the battle. Best wishes on your next one! Do you get a discount on the "third" ear?

AF, I had general anesthesia, but left the hospital four hours after my surgery was complete - not exactly a long recovery. They would have let me go at the two hour mark, but I was not feeling ready to leave and asked to stay for a short nap. I was back at work on Day 4, and drove myself to and from work. You'll have to see how you feel, as it seems everyone has different time frames for resolving the dizziness issues. Good luck with your surgery!

Annie

Old 11-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
(male)

LAXMI60 HB User

CAB
Some surgeons will give you 90% success rate for revision stapedectomy.Make sure the most experienced surgeon does it. When I went to my ENT for stapedectomy, he gave me 99% success rate. He did say his charts were evaluated over past 5 years by others without any bias. He did total stapedectomy since is most experienced in that, I looked up literature does not matter if it is stapedotomy or stapedectomy it depends on the experience of the surgeon.
LAXMI

Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
(female)

CAB1 HB User

LAXMI,

Thanks for the information. My doc said "I CAN fix it" so he's very confident. I just did tons of reading up on it and the average I found was around 78%.

I agree that it depends on the surgeon. I asked him if he was going to do a revision or a full. He said he would decide when he got in there and would do what was needed to fix me up.

Thanks again, I do feel better knowing the average I found was wrong.

-Carol-

Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
(female)

JULIEP28 HB User

Carol, I, too, am sorry to hear about your ear. I hope all goes well.

A weird thing happened to me tonight. My operation was 10/19 and it's been over a month. My restrictions were lifted at my one month post-op visit. Aside from tinnitus, I am hearing much better. But tonight for the first time since the few days after surgery, I was out shopping and kept getting bouts of dizziness if I turned my head too quick or looked down then up quickly.

Did anyone experience dizziness after weeks of feeling great??!?!!?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
(female)

CAB1 HB User

Hey Moderator2...

Thanks!

Juliep..yes I did have dizzies after a few weeks of feeling fine. Hang in there, it will go away again soon. I found that if I did too much during the day the dizzies returned. Take it a little slower, that should help.

Annie..I did have a couple of times when sounds were overwhelming. Everyone said it was a panic attack. Once was at the mall and once at my kids school (boy was that one embarrassing). Both times I could hear everything and it was cool, then it got louder and louder then WHAM...I couldn't leave the area fast enough and get to my car where it was quiet.

The brain has to learn again how to process sounds, meaning which ones to keep and which ones to discard, etc. Ease in to noisy type situations is what the doc told me.

Did you have hearing aids before surgery? If so, remember the first time you went to a noisy place with them in? Its the same thing only before you could turn it down or OFF when sounds drove you nuts.

The great thing is now you can hear, the bad thing is you no longer have an on/off button.

Hang in there you will get used to the "noise" quickly.

More Later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 11-26-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:56 AM   #8
(female)

AF244 HB User

Carol- Thanks for your reply. I've learned so much from your experiences and others here on this board. I can't believe my surgery is on Friday....It doesn't seem real that it is going to happen. I'm dealing with the logistics of everything right now...hotel (It's two hours away and a six am report!), kids schedules, etc.

Sorry to hear about your need for a revision. Hope that this time the prosthesis will stay in place. I am a bit concerned about this, especially with my recovery during the winter months in cold and flu season. Plus, I have had a low-level sinus issue all fall (allergies?) with my nose clear, but a sense of fluid in my sinuses at times. I've taken Claritin and/or Sudafed at times that seems to clear it up, but I'm concerned that this fluid will complicate things with my surgery and recovery. I am debating whether I should take some this week to ensure that my sinuses are dry when I go in on Friday.

Any advice is welcome as I get ready for "the big day".

Thanks again!

Anne

Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
(female)

CAB1 HB User

AF,

My pre-op instructions were to stop taking any medications except basically ibuprofin 5 days prior to surgery...Please consult with your doctor asap since your surgery is in 4 days before you take anything.

Also ask your doctor when you can begin taking then after surgery. I would certainly start taking them as soon as doc says you can just to be safe and keep those sinus' clear.

More later,

-Carol-

Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
(female)

CAB1 HB User

...and thanks to everyone for you concern and well wishes about me having my right ear re-done.

At least now, I'm an old pro at this and should be able to deal with all the post-op stuff better than the first couple of times

And nope, I don't get a 3rd ear discount. This one will cost me about $600 since my deductible is met and maximum out of pocket for the year is almost reached.

More later,

-Carol-

Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
(female)

AF244 HB User

I was given a long list of medications that I had to keep away from for 21 days prior to surgery. These were all containing asprin, ibuprofin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs). These drugs interfere with normal blood clotting. For pain I can take tylenol.

I've taken some sudafed-PE in the last couple of weeks. My husband, who is a physician, didn't think that would be a problem. I hope he didn't steer me wrong!

I'm supposed to get a call today or tomorrow to do my presurgical history. I'll be sure to ask about this then.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
(female)

AF244 HB User

I'm OK...I was told that as long as there was no asprin or NSAIDs in it, it is OK for me to take the medicine. Whew!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
(female)

Vickie63 HB User

AF,

I was given some advise before my surgery by someone that posted on this thread and I think that is what contributed to my getting better so fast. He told me that the doc told him not to lay on operated ear for 2 days and he didn't do it for 5 days and he slept as much as possible.

My doc kept me in the hospital overnight. I couldn't get out of bed and when I went home my husband wouldn't let me get out of bed. I slept a lot for the next 2 days and by day 5 post op I was almost 100%... Still a little dizzy... The worst thing that happened was I got very nauses the day after surgery. I think I just tried to do everything to fast.. I paid for it the rest of the day by throughing up everytime I got out of bed.... next day I was fine. I understand not everyone has someone like my husband to wait on them hand and foot and my kids are grown and gone but just get all the rest you can.

Hope all goes well for you. I will be waiting to hear from you after your surgery.

Carol- When did you say your surgery was? Is the same doc doing it that did the other ear? I will be keeping you in my thoughts I know it will all work out.... and I wanted to thank you for all your posts they really helped me to make a decision to get the stapedectomy done and now I am looking forward to doing the other ear.

talk to you all later

Vickie

Old 11-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
(female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

AF -I'm glad they said you could take the sinus meds. I can't stress how important it is to keep on top of sinus issues for the full 3 months after surgery.

Vickie - Yes, same doc is doing the surgery on December 18th. And you are very welcome. I've seen a lot of people posting on here that were like me...scared but excited at the same time and anxious about the outcome. Patience is not easy when something as important and life altering as your hearing is involved. I'm glad it help you and so many others, thats why I still post.

I am going to ramble for a minute, bear with me....or just jump to the next post if you don't want to read this.

When I quit posting for a few weeks it was because my ear had gone downhill and everything we tried didn't help so I was in an extremly negative frame of mind. I still read everyones posts each day.. but...well it was best that I said nothing. It had felt so good to be in the 99% of successful surgeries, then the drop to the 1% failure bracket almost drove me nuts since I was able to hear so well for those couple of months.

Everyone - I just want to point out that my both of my surgeries were successful. It was the major sinus issues which caused me to blow and blow my nose just to be able to function.....that knocked the prosthesis out of place because I didn't wait the full 3 months before blowing hard. It was unavoidable because I seriously couldn't breath, sleep, eat, etc.

I completely trust my doc and the abilities that God gave him. If it's meant to be for me to hear then great. If God has other plans for me then I will accept it and move on. Oddly enough, one thing I always wanted to learn was sign language. I have known how to sign the alphabet since I was about 10 and over the years learned how to sign a few words, phrases, etc. I found a book on signing just this past Saturday in my moms garage (of all places) that had been there for 20 years. I can't tell you how many times I have walked right by it and never noticed it. It was like it almost jumped off the shelf into my hands. I had to pick it up and start reading. It made me eager to learn and I have had my nose buried in it since and have been practicing. I leave the book on the kitchen counter at night and every day when I get home from work one of my kids has moved it..?..?..?

Who knows? Maybe I have been in both the hearing and non hearing world for a reason. I am able to truly understand how hard of hearing and deaf people feel and would make a good teacher if I mastered signing..for children maybe? All I know is that something lead me to that book on Saturday - the same day I was at my all time low -mentally- about loosing the hearing again in the right ear. Reading it really cheered me up. Hmm, I dunno.....

While I was typing this post and no, I'm not kidding, my youngest (11) just said, "hey mom....watch!" Bless her lil heart, she had been sneaking the book after school and has learned how to sign the alphabet. Then she said "I will be able to still talk to you if it doesn't work!" Yes...I teared up.

My left ear is still working like a champ and I can hear so signing is not a must but I have this overwhelming feeling that I am supposed to learn signing....for some reason.

Ok, I'm done rambling, I think.

More later,

-Carol-

Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
(male)

LAXMI60 HB User

CAB
You still have good chance of recovering your hearing. How did your doctor determine if the prosthesis is displaced. Did he do a CAT scan?
LAXMI

Closed Thread