It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2001, 10:04 AM   #1

shsindy HB User
Question fluid in ear and hearing loss without infection

Has anyone had the experience of having fluid in your ear wihtout an ear infection? About two months ago, I started having headaches only on one side of my head, directly over my ear. The pain started above my ear, then eventually involved my ear as well - very painful. I thought they were "just" migraines, until I lost the hearing in my left ear, and began to hear a constant high pitch whine in that ear. But when my doctor examined my ear, nothing looked wrong at all. But because I insisted that I couldn't hear, she prescribed ear drops as if I had swimmer's ear. I filled my ear with drops as prescribed for a week, with absolutely no effect on my hearing. I waited another 2 weeks, thinking that my hearing would eventually come back, but there was no improvement. After having a hearing test that confirmed I had no hearing in my left ear because of fluid in my inner ear, my doctor prescribed antibiotics and pseudoephedrine, even though she could still find no evidence of ear infection. She doesn't think it is worthwhile for me to see an ENT for at least 3 weeks after I've finished the antibiotics. I don't think she really believes that I can't hear. I've always trusted her before, but she just seems to be nodding her head and smiling as I describe my frustration with not being able to hear.
She told me to try and pop my ears whenever possible - that even if I should damage my eardrum that way, it would eventually heal, and the hole I break through my eardrum will allow the fluid to drain. This just doesn't sound right to me! But I may be going crazy, after all I haven't been able to hear out of one ear for almost two months now!
Now I'm finished with the antibiotics and there has been no change in my hearing. I'm beginning to be concerned that my hearing may be permanently lost since it has been so long.
Has anybody had this experience before and any suggestions for solving the problem? Should I really try to blow a hole through my eardrum? Any help or encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks from the midwest!

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2001, 07:56 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Make an appointment with the ENT doctor and get things cleared up. When the medications did not seem to help you should have insisted that she refer you to the ENT doc right away. Your hearing is to precious to not get things cleared up right away. Excess fluid can cause permanent damage as I am living proof of that. I had fluid following a case of the measles as a child that they couldn't get rid of no matter what they tried ie: antibiotics of all kinds and tubes in my ears. I am not trying to scare you by any means but want to emphisize to all who read this that fluid in the ears is not something that should be taken lightly. I am awfully glad they now have a measles vaccine out because some of the effects of those seeminly mild childhood diseases can stay with you for a lifetime. Good Luck.

Closed Thread