It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2001, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

MMMarie HB User
Question Tinnitus

My tinnitus is driving me bonkers. The cause has not been determined.

I've had a rough time with "it" for abaout a year now, but the last 3 weeks have been a total nightmare. Can't figure out why it is so bad now. The low roaring in my right ear is there 24 hours a day. I also have a high pitched squealing in my left ear. Also, at night while I'm lying in bed, I get some garbled kinds of sounds. It truly is strange!!!

Anyhow, I purchased one of those alarm clocks that also have an assortment of sounds you can listen to, such as a stream, rain, white noise, etc. It does help, but not when my tinnitus is as loud as it has been lately.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all???

Also, has anyone ever found any medication (whether it is prescription, over-the-counter, herbal, anything at all) that helps at all???

Thank you!!
Marie

Old 03-14-2001, 02:12 PM   #2

Paul B HB User
Marie, Tinnitus is fairly easy to get, I believe. If you don’t get it from age or infection, you can get it easily from sharp or loud noises. You can also get it from certain medicines, particulary asprin. Were you exposed to any loud noise recently? Or are you taking new medicines? Sometimes the the effects from noises and medicines are not imediately apparent. You probably want to ask a doctor, though. I hope your tinnitus is temporary. Sometimes it is. To illustrate the various ways you can get tinnitus from loud noises, my wife lost 50 percent of her hearing in one ear and got a severe case of tinnitus when attending a parade. Before the parade started, some kids were having a “battle of the bands,” seeing who could beat their drums the loudest. Before she covered her ears, it was too late. The damage was done. I lost a little hearing and got tinnitus from gunshots in the army, on the firing range, before they used hearing protectors. The tinnitus wasn’t severe. I could forget it much of the time. But a year ago I went to a commemoration ceremony in my town. There were Revolutionary War reenactors and Civil War reenactors there, with guns. (They are big on this sort of thing in Massachusetts.) Knowing what I do about gunfire, I was going to block my ears. But I thought that they were far enough away from me when they fired the guns. I was wrong! The guns of the Revolutionary War reenactors were not loud. But the ones that the Civil War reenactors fired seemed like they had double or triple charges in them. I knew they did damage to my hearing and probably to others there also. I thought this was irresponsible. I feel that they had to know what might happen. I was going to sue them and the town. I contacted a couple of lawyers but they weren’t interested. I didn’t contact others but might do so yet. The tinnitus is almost unbearable at times. They deserve to be sued. But I would like to get the message out to others who might not realize what they are being exposed to. Even lawnmowers and particularly blowers can be damaging to your hearing. By the way, for the person who wondered about getting compensation from the Army, I asked the VA about hearing damage. They said it’s impossible to get compensation on it. (Don’t get the idea that I’m a compensation “hound.” I’m not. I feel that the Army should have provided protection.) Former members of most European armies do get compensation for hearing loss and tinnitus, by the way. Anyway, even if you have tinnitus and hearing loss, take precautions for not making it worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2001, 10:54 PM   #3
(female)

MMMarie HB User
Thanks for the response, Paul. Yes, loud noises are certainly to be avoided. However neither you nor your wife had the opportunity to protect your ears. That's awful, and I certainly understand your anger!

As for me, I really suspect (even though my doctor disagrees) that my tinnitus was caused from ASA. I have r.a. and took large amounts of aspirin daily for ten years. Mind you, the tinnitus never really hit until a while back, so who really know. Plus they say that aspirin-induced tinnitus is reversible once you stop taking the medication.

I really wish there was something to take that would get rid of it!!! or at least make it much quieter. Do you take anything for it, and does it actually help?

I have considered purchasing maskers, but don't know a whole lot about them. I have heard they are relatively expensive, but if it actually did the trick, I'd certainly go for it. Something to think about.

Hope you're both experiencing some "quiet" times.

Marie

Old 03-20-2001, 12:36 AM   #4

Paul B HB User
Hi Marie. Thank you for your concern. No, we have not found anything for relief. For now, it appears that the only way to get by with this is not to be in a silent environment—which is hard to do. I notice that being in an enclosed shopping mall, which is obviously very noisy makes the “ringing” even louder though. By the way, if you use the search engine goggle (www.goggle.com) and put in combinations like tinnitus AND medication AND relief (and even additional words) you get a lot of information about tinnitus (even law suits!). I think that google has the best search features of all applications. You may want to try it and see what you come up with. I noticed that even some sugar substitutes are thought to cause tinnitus. Enclose specific word searches in quotes to get rid of a lot of useless stuff. I know what you are going through with this and hope that the recent change is temporary. Regards, Paul

Old 03-20-2001, 02:43 PM   #5

Paul B HB User
Hi again, Marie. You may already know about this site, but in searching around I found the site for the American Tinnitus Association (www.ATA.org). You can obtain help there, in various ways. They also put out a magazine quarterly. You can look at topics covered in back issues and order ones that have articles of interest. You may want to look at these and other information. Paul.

Old 04-25-2001, 01:08 PM   #6

SusanM HB User
I developed tinnitus in one ear after a balloon popped next to it! That was four years ago. I had some hearing loss that eventually returned, but the tinnitus is probably permanent. I've heard that ginko biloba can help with tinnitus, but it takes about a month to notice the benefit, if it helps at all. It's supposed to increase circulation to the head. I've never tried it.

Closed Thread