It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2001, 09:46 PM   #1
(male)

joe banks HB User
Question ear flutters

My ear is making a fluttering or bubbling sound sort of like a kitten's purring. No pain or loss of hearing...more like a distraction. What is it...can it get worse?

Old 01-18-2001, 05:16 PM   #2

vjs1 HB User
I just started having the same problem today! It sure is weird. I've had ringing in the ears before...but this is totally different. I also noticed that the muscles around my ear seem to tense when the flutter occurs. I don't know which comes first though, the tension or the flutter. Hopefully someone has an answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2001, 07:56 PM   #3
(male)

Twitchy HB User
Wow, I thought I was the only one! I have the fluttering too. It happens mostly when there is a noise close to my ear. It's most noticeable at night, especially when I move my head on the pillow. Seems like it happens in the opposite ear of the one the noise is in. It does it occasionally while on the phone too. My mom said it happens to her too, sometimes. Someone help us flutterers!!!

Old 06-21-2002, 08:17 AM   #4
(male)

Twitchy HB User
To the top...

Old 06-25-2002, 01:27 PM   #5

vernon123 HB User
The fluttering that you all are getting may be caused by a muscle in the middle ear. I have these horrible thumping sensations in both ears. The ENT said they are caused by this muscle. I had the muscle in my L/H ear cut (The surgery was pretty gruesome, cutting through the ear drum to get at the muscle) and now I only get isolated thumping sensations in that ear. My R/H ear also only gets isolated thumping sensations. Only ask about the surgery if this problem is really bothering you. It's better to go without surgery if that is possible. Also, beware of botox injections. I had botox injections done in both ear muscles and I got patulous eustachian tube dysfunction in my L/H ear, a condition you don't want to get! The best of luck to you all>

Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
(female)

Harmony417 HB User
Re: ear flutters

Am new to this thread and forum.

I would like to comment on this thumping, drumming and fluttering in the inner ear, including the humming in the ear. I have the thumping in my left ear and the humming in my right ear. The humming is constant, but the thumping like a jumping nerve or spasm comes and goes.

I have been experiencing these symptoms since November 2004, after my 4th episode with MS. Of course I did not know I had MS until my eyes were affected and then more testings were done.

It amazes me that people who experience this know more of what is happening then the Dr.s and Neuros. My neuro is checking for everything else but Tinnitis, go figure. So I printed up info and am going to send it to him, maybe a hint.

Hello all and hope all are doing great.

Leona

Old 05-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
(female)

Harmony417 HB User

Question to all with this problem of fluttering in the ear or ears.

What test did your Dr. do in regards to this problem. What did they come up with.

Concerned about testings being done.

Leona

Old 05-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony417
Question to all with this problem of fluttering in the ear or ears.

What test did your Dr. do in regards to this problem. What did they come up with.

Concerned about testings being done.

Leona
they can try to do a tympanogram, but its not always accurate, a good doc will know its the middle ear muscles by your description. where are you located?
lib

Old 05-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
(female)

lucylane HB User

Anyone who hears a noise in their ear or ears, should plug their ears with their fingers and see if they can still hear it. If you still hear it, it's tinnitus.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:28 PM   #10
(female)

Harmony417 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib
they can try to do a tympanogram, but its not always accurate, a good doc will know its the middle ear muscles by your description. where are you located?
lib
Springfield Missouri. Looking for a new Neuro.

Leona

Old 05-23-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
(female)

Harmony417 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylane
Anyone who hears a noise in their ear or ears, should plug their ears with their fingers and see if they can still hear it. If you still hear it, it's tinnitus.
I just did that and I can still hear the ringing sound. I was diagnosed with MS in December so this is really bothersome to me. The lesion that nailed me in November is what has began the new noise thing and thumping in my ears.

Leona

Old 05-24-2005, 06:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

[QUOTE=Harmony417]I just did that and I can still hear the ringing sound. I was diagnosed with MS in December so this is really bothersome to me. The lesion that nailed me in November is what has began the new noise thing and thumping in my ears.

Leona[/QUOT

middle ear myoclonus seems to be more common in people with m s,
you need a neurotoligist....i know dr timothy hain is at northwestern or there abouts, could you see him?
lib

Old 05-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #13
(female)

loveherbs HB User

WOWOWOWOWOW. I have this horrible thumping sound. You are the first person I have read like me. It started two months ago. I have both ear pressure and pressure around my ears. It is giving me panic attacks and everyone I talk to thinks I am nuts now. What is this?? I had a mri-fine Had a ct-fine. Meanwhile I am soo not fine!!!

Closed Thread