It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2002, 01:23 PM   #1

frankea HB User
Red face Unusual Ear Drum Vibrations with high pitched sounds

My ears are normal except for a strange sensation when certain "tin-ee" sounds occur. Whenever I hear a certain telephone ring, or hear change clang together, or hear small metal parts (nuts, bolts, nails, etc.) clang together, I feel my right ear drum vibrate and pulse. At first I didn't correlate the sound with the pulse/vibration but I began to realize that whenever a certain phone in my office rang, my ear drum vibrated. It doesn't hurt, but feels like more of a sonic vibration that is slightly uncomfortable. It always happens when I hear these certain sounds (small metal parts touching or phone) but the rest of the time my ears are fine. This has been happening for at least 3 years. Any clues into what this could be???

Old 06-25-2002, 01:40 PM   #2

vernon123 HB User
Your ear drum vibrating may be caused by a middle ear muscle spasming when you hear these high pitch sounds. I have these isolated thumping sensations in both my ears. The ENT said they are caused by the middle ear muscle. I had a surgery to cut the musle in my L/H ear which was the worse ear. It was pretty gruesome, cutting through the ear drum to get at the muscle. Before that, I had botox injections on the roof of my mouth to freeze the muscles. The botox caused patulous eustachian tube dysfunction, a condition you won't want to get!If this condition only slightly bothers you, it is better to not have anything done. If it is really bothersome ask about the surgery. You will feel miserable for a few days after the surgery, but the surgery did help me a little. I wish you the best of luck with your condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread