It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #1

SheriLynnC HB User
Unhappy I am afriad my 3 month old can't hear

I have always noticed he didn't wake when our dog barked but we were told in Childbirth class that he was probably used to that noise and it wouldn't wake him after he was born. Then recently I have been taking him with me to my older son's basketball games and when the buzzers go off (and they are so loud they scare me) he doesn't act like he hears them at all. He doesn't get startled or if he is sleeping they don't wake him. Everything is so loud in the gym and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. Last night I was really worrying about it so I came up behind him with a pot and spoon and hit the pot and he didn't try to turn to the sound or anything. I called his Pediatrician and she said since he passed his hearing test at the hospital then she wasn't really too concerned and we would talk about it at his 4 month check up on the 10th of February. But I told the nurse I wanted a referal for a hearing test sooner. So, we have an appt with an Audiologist at the Day hospital on the 17th of this month. I call his name and he doesn't look at me either but I don't know if that is because he isn't old enough to know his name or what. There are times I think he can hear like...last night I was holding him and he was sleeping and I called my husband from the other room and he jumped and woke up. Also, when he is really fussy there is one song we play for him and he calms down immediately. Today he was sleeping and I tried the spoon and pot thing again (I hit the pot REALLY hard) and he jumped arms and legs flew out. I just don't know what to think of all this. Does it sound to you all like he has a hearing problem? Any advice from any of you of other ways I can check his hearing? All of his toys light up so I am not sure if he is looking at the lights or he actually hears the sound.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2003, 05:07 PM   #2

Lynn17 HB User
It does sound like he has a hearing loss. The reason he would jump when he is in your lap is because he can feel the vibrations of your voice and feel you move.
I have a hearing loss that was not diagnosed until I was three! My mom kept telling doctors I couldn't hear, but they refused to believe her. Fortunately, interventions have increased dramatically since the late 70's.
Hearing aids have also improved dramtically since I first started wearing them. The younger someone is when they get hearing aids the better! Then the feedback and background noise that can occur with them becomes normal and we adjust to that. If you have other questions, please ask. I will try to answer them. For now, look at your son when talking to him. That should help some. I can also give lots of advice about how to help him in school later if it does turn out that he has a hearing loss. Please keep us informed.

Lynn

Old 01-24-2003, 11:01 AM   #3

MNpenguin HB User
If you coo and talk to him, does he respond back to you by making his own sounds?

Closed Thread