It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #1
Inactive

madcat HB User
Post Ear Noises Question

I was hoping that someone could tell me...Is tinnitus something that if you have it, you know that you have it? Or can it be tricky to tell? I'm 23, and have listened to music quite loud in headphones at time while writing music and just to get away from things. I've recenltly, through a dulling of sounds episode, become VERY aware of my sense of hearing and the decibel levels around me.

Now, at night a hear a very faint (what I would describe as a digital chirping) sound in my right ear. It doesn't keep me up except that I'm very in tune to it and I'm focused on it like an eagle scout. In the beginning I think I heard it during the day, and rarely do I hear it in the morning. But I can't hear anything like it during the day at all. It's been like this for about a week.

I'm around computers all the time, both at home and at school. I've been filtering in high frequencies like you wouldn't believe lately (for sure from appliances and cpus and the like) so I can imagine some of my paranoia is imagined- - -

But, would there be any other types of ear problems that might cause strange sounds in your ears?

Thanks for any help!

[This message has been edited by madcat (edited 01-12-2003).]

Old 01-16-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
(male)

berg0449 HB User
Tinnitus is just a ringing in the ears. From what I have heard many people have it, but only a small fraction are bad enough to get help.

I have Tinnitus that I do notice most of the day. I can get relief by certain things. If you have problems at night try adding some background noise. I use a fan to cover my noise so I do not hear it to get a good nights sleep. Without the noise it is difficult for me to get sleep.

If you only hear the Tinnitus in the quiet areas and get your mind off it be happy that is all you have.

------------------
Just remember that doctors only practice medicine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
(female)

rosevincent HB User
Unhappy

i have had tinnutis since as long as i remember, i also have family members with it. we all hear different things. i hear different things at different times. i finally got hearing aids a few years ago and they greatly helped as they raised my mid range hearing above the sound of the ringing. i know this sounds confusing but now i hear the ringing when my aids are off and if i focus on it. meditation tapes help me get some sleep at night when it is really bad

Old 01-30-2003, 12:05 PM   #4

Czuby2 HB User
I have had tinnitus for over 30 some years now. Sometimes it a chirping sound, sometimes its a buzzing sound, sometimes it is a roaring sound of the ocean.

I also have clicking but that is something different I think.

I do know if you have tinnitus that really bothers you that there are hearing aids out there with white noise to help drown the ringing out. I use a fan at night and I also like to have a tv on alot to help distract me from it bothering me. My right ear is much worse and so I don't have it in both ears all the time, but the right one is continuous.

Hope this helps
Theresa

Closed Thread