It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2003, 07:53 PM   #1

honeycat HB User
Post i hear double

Has anyone ever had a problem with hearing things within a cetain frequency range as VERY distorted? Music out of tune, voices as though signal-processed, etc. Accompanied by ringing and pressure.... I am a musician; this condition came upon me overnight, and it makes playing and listening to music ridiculous.

Any feedback WELCOME.

Old 03-05-2003, 05:44 AM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
honeycat,

It sounds like you need a visit to an audiologist who will expose you to the range of discernable sounds and graph your sensitivity to the spectrum.

Maybe some damage from overexposure to loud music. (I've read something about over-loud over-long can cause persistent vibration of the cilia in the inner ear.)

In the meanwhile, wear eaplugs when performing in front of speakers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2003, 07:29 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You do need to get this checked out. Sounds to me like you have been playing music without earplugs and any music at those levels over periods of time can damage your hearing. Make an appointment to get this checked out and in the meantime wear earplugs when you play music until you can get this checked.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #4

Chicago Sandy HB User
Re: i hear double

I have EXACTLY the same problem--it came on overnight (two days after onset of a cold without nasal congestion). My left ear feels full, with pain in the parotid and mastoid area but not the ear; no headache, hearing loss, and very minor tinnitus (no more than usual). I too am a musician (acoustic folkie)--but have always worn earplugs when I used to play with a band and attend concerts. I went to a neurotologist whose audiologist tested my hearing, which turned out to be perfect. (They couldn't believe I was ever in a band). I had a brain MRI which was negative for tumors. My doc is out of town, so I am in a holding pattern; his nurse insists I stay on a steroid nasal spray for a month. I can't tell if my guitars are in or out of tune--even if my tuner says they are. Weirdly, singing voices are just fine, as are "fat" electric guitar, banjo, bass, cello, percussion and horns (so I can comfortably listen to a cappella harmonies or electric blues). But other synth patches, piano, organ, strings (other than bass or cello), etc, are utter torture--major chords sound dissonant, intervals seem flat (especially the second higher note). This has gone on for three weeks with no improvement. I'd think it was PET, because I recently lost 45 lbs. (over 9 mos), but the symptoms came on suddenly, I don't have other PET symptoms, and I'd lost and gained weight many times before. This happened once before (15 yrs ago), after a raging otitis media with eardrum perforation, mastoid infection and vestibular problems--but it made stuff sound fluttery too and lasted only three days.
It is getting tougher and tougher to play in public solo (at least a singing partner can confirm whether my guitar is in tune)--my voice is okay, acc. to my vocal coach. And I have several recording sessions coming up.
I am so afraid that this is in the cochlea and thus sensorineural and permanent!
All I find on the net are other people who've had or still have this but not one single answer!!!!!!!

Closed Thread