It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #1

PhilD HB User
Post Thumping noise in ear

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but need some help.

Sometime last week my left ear started a `thumping' sound/feeling. If I sit still and don't move my head the sound stops. Leaning over, adding pressure to the ear makes the thumping increase. Trying to fall to sleep with the thumping is hard to do. Oddly enough if I bend my foot or even big toe upward my ear will thump.
I really don't know what to do about this and its driving me mad. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm 35 and in good health.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:18 PM   #2

Beetrue HB User
Wink

Newbie, I have no helpful advice. This posting is only to let you know that you're not alone and with hope your problem may go away. I'm a 22 yr old female and I, too, experienced the "THUMP." It lasted for a yr or more and wasn't painful..just really annoying. I first noticed the thumping in my right ear one night just before falling asleep. I'm plagued with water-clogged ears and ear infections, so I figured it had something to do with that. I also thought I might have a visitor in my ear for a while, but there is no way an insect could live that long. Anyway, I began to give my ears more attention in the shower (cleaning them well with soap and hot water). I also used cotton swabs to make sure all the water was dried up afterward. Like I said, I don't know if this will help, but hopefully, your problem will cease with time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2003, 02:32 PM   #3

bovvy HB User
Thumbs up

hi newbie, im a newbie too.
you know you said about your ear thumping when you move your big toe, not that i would know that much about it but massaging parts of your feet (reflexology) can ease pain over all parts of your body. maybe yours is different and moving your toe causes it. I don't suffer from these symptoms i suffer from ETD but all I can suggest is either to go to a salon and get some reflexology done or go to the ent to get the best advice.
hope it helps
good hunting
good luck. bovvy.

Old 07-02-2003, 05:54 PM   #4

RyanM HB User
fellow newbie here...
I am a 28 year old male and have started experiencing this same thing within the last week or so. It occurs in my left ear, and seems to be occuring with increasing frequency. It seems like most people that experience this only have it occur following exposure to loud or otherwise irritating noises. For me it seems to happen in any environment, silent or loud. I've done just a little bit of reading on the internet and found a couple of sites that could possibly be helpful...
[url="http://www.brookwoodent.com/tinnitus.html"]http://www.brookwoodent.com/tinnitus.html[/url]
[url="http://www.michiganear.com/library/brochures/tinnitus/"]http://www.michiganear.com/library/brochures/tinnitus/[/url]

You could also do some more searching for "Tinnitus". I can definitely understand your frustration with this, as after only a week, I feel as though it's about to drive me totally insane. I have never had any ear problems before, and like I said, this just kind of came out of nowhere. I do plan on going to see an ENT here very soon and hope that they can give me some guidance, and some relief if at all possible. I have read cases of people experiencing this condition for years, though (not to discourage you). The prospect of that doesn't sit well with me. Well, I wish I could be more help, but I don't know much more than you do at this point. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #5

OoORiddlerOoO HB User
Hello Everyone
I am a 18 year old man who has suffered in the past from what i call, some form of an attack.
This form of attack has very similar symptoms to anxiety attacks so this is what the docs say it could be, but i feel there is something more to it than just anxiety.
The attack starts by a sudden loud thumping/my heartbeat being heard loudly in my ears/head followed
by a feeling of pressure in my head,by this time my heart is pounding "very hard" & loudly i begin to sweat sleightly have difficulty breathing & generally feel like i am going to die.
After the attack my vitals present as normal, on a few occasions my friends have called me an anbulance as they have seen me whilst having an attack, but by the time the ambukance makes it to me symptoms have improved or i appear to be normal, this is why they believe it to be anxiety.
But i get these sudden thumps of my hearbeat out of the blue in my head, a stiff neck & aches pain in my neck also discomfort between my shoulders & chest & sleight pain in the spinal area between these areas.
I have tried to ignore the problem but symptoms just irrotate me, i have been on propronolol for anxiety but i still experienced the same thing.
i have heard loud thumping against my temple on my left side of my head whist half asleep & feel a weard feeling whilst trying to settle to sleep, like a burst of dizziness or something similar which i can't explain as i am dozing off, could this be a form of tinnitus? or a heart problem? or a tumour? i have had a ct scan in the past and Ecg whilst i was undwer a private hospital suffering from a mental breakdown,
i also suffered this form of attack whilst under ther supervision of the private hospital , who then rushed me to a real hospital where i was kept in for a week 7 monitored but then i seemed to appear stable so i was sent back to the private care place.
The thing is something hasppened that caused my heart to race & this showed on the Ecg but they couldn't determine what exactly, & its been from then oinwards that i have suffered these problems.
I need to determine the possible causes for this is doctors here in the UK are crap & liek to use the word "Anxiety" or "Panick attacks" to fog us off.
So if anyone on here recognises these symptoms or knows of anything that may be related please post them for me to know

Thanks in advanced

Ricky..

Old 07-15-2003, 02:31 AM   #6

fibrine HB User
Do a search for "tensor tympani syndrome". You will find many answers and be reassured.
fibrine

Old 07-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #7

TwoSlick HB User
I've got the same problem. For 5 months, my right ear has been thumping/twitching constantly. It's enough to drive me insane. The tensor tympani muscle is the one doing it. For me, it started out by twitching a few times, but after a week, it became more persistent. It would twitch constantly for 4 to 5 hours at a time. Later, the time duration started extending where it would twitch for 8 to 12 hours solid. Constantly going at it with few breaks. Sometimes it would stop for a few minutes, then start up again. At this point, I had already seen a doctor who initially thought ear wax was bumping into my eardrum (he was a moron). I've since been seeing a different doctor who has put me on anti-depressents to help reduce my anxiety level about all this. I've been taking the meds for about 3 months now. The twitching has gotten better, but still happens all the time. (just not so intense)

I also experience a lot of muscle twitching in the rest of my body, especially in my legs. I think it is all related, and that my ear is particularly sensative. In my body, I experience at least one twitch each minute. Some muscles will get twitchy for a few minutes then stop. Another funny thing is, that my ear will be twitchy especially when I first wake up in the morning.

Anyway, not to be discouraging, I hope your problem goes away. As for me, I'm still sticking it out. I'll see a neurologist later this month, and see if he can figure this thing out. If not, I'll probably opt to get that darn little muscle cut.

Old 08-12-2003, 10:16 AM   #8

THE EAR HB User
Sorry to hear that you are all having a bad time. I have been suffering from the thumping for two years now. It started in my left ear five months after a traumatic injury. It then gradually began showing up in mmy right ear. I all too well undertsand how maddening it was. I became very despondent and suicidal. At one point during a thumping attack, I was running through the woods, screaming my lungs out for it to STOP. I tried Zoloft, Paxil and Serzone (anti-depresents) which made me feel sick and the thumping worse. I am sure that many of you got the same response from doctors. "don't let this trouble you. You are only suffering from depression.". I have to go now as my time is up. Someone needs to use the computer. Good luck.

Closed Thread