It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 11:16 PM   #1

Lurican HB User
Angry Sound of Breathing in Ear

Quite often I suddenly start hearing my breathing through one of my ears. I don't know what causes it to happen -- and I have no idea how it stops, except it just suddenly appears then suddenly stops. Howev er, it usually lasts for up to an hour at a time.

It is extremely annoying and aggravates the heck out of me. I also have tennanitis (spelling?) and it is a 'constant' rushing noise.

Any help much appreciated.

Lurican

Old 09-15-2003, 03:54 AM   #2
(female)

aja HB User
yeah, that is definitely PET you've got. it's a bummer isn't it? it's bad to sniff by the way (even though it seems to help momentarily) I have been advised not to do that (it over works the ET making it even floppier). good luck with it, let me know if you discover a solution, I'll keep you posted too.
warm regards, aja

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
(female)

prendi HB User
i dont hear my breathing in my ear all i can hear is my heartbeat and whooshing noises,any ideas folks??

Old 09-18-2003, 02:26 AM   #4
(female)

aja HB User
Thumbs up

that's tinnitus prendi, you need to wear some white noise machines on your ears to help you drown out the sound of your tinnitus (tinnitus isn't always ringing, it's any noise you hear in your head..even your heart beat). Ask you ENT about the WNM's, you only need to wear them for 6 months and they should train your brain to drown out the sound (I think they have quite good results with these for tinnitus). Good luck my luv.

Old 07-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #5

petpeeve HB User
Re: Sound of Breathing in Ear

Hi: I know that feeling of hearing your own breath--every single time you inhale it feels like the eardrum is moving in and out. It is extremely aggravating to be aware of the movement constantly in your ear. I found some articles at the PubMed sight that have all sorts of journal abstracts. The name for that specific feeling that sometimes accompanies PET is "respiratory noise". It is probably called different things but it basically means that when you inhale you hear your breath sounds and can feel the movement. It said that in cases of PET where that is present that the use of a ventilation tube can sometimes help. I saw one posting where someone had grommets and I think those are a much larger ventilation tube than I had. I had the tiniest possible ventilation tube put in so as to cause as little damage as possible to the eardrum. It is one used frequently in children as a short term management type- cone shaped. I felt immediately that some of the pressure escaped but it was short-lived relief. I found that my hearing felt distorted with the tube in and I couldn't really tell what direction sounds were coming from. The tube came out after about a month or so naturally and I never opted to do it again. Putting it in is a little uncomfortable but well worth it if you get relief. Every case is individual and the doctor said he had another PET patient that came in every 6 months because it helped her. I did read that it should only be done with people who have that feeling of hearing their every respiration and can feel the movement against their eardrum. One doctor suggested it and another didn't and neither seemed to be aware of the medical article I had found. That respiration sensation went away on its own in the last year and thank goodness for any improvement. I still have the fullness feeling and the autophony where my own voice sounds like it is screaming in my ear even when I speak softly. I think the respiratory movement in my ear seemed to improve when I drank lots of water, not caffeine products. No research or data on that but seems to work for me. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Inactive

Winger20 HB User
Talking Re: Sound of Breathing in Ear

This is so amazing! I thought I was the only person in the world that had this!! I discovered about a year ago to put my head between my legs, and it's gone! I've always tried explaining it and people think I'm wacked. Are there any information sites I can go to and read about this??

Old 07-28-2004, 04:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger20
This is so amazing! I thought I was the only person in the world that had this!! I discovered about a year ago to put my head between my legs, and it's gone! I've always tried explaining it and people think I'm wacked. Are there any information sites I can go to and read about this??
hi,
look up patulous eustachian tubes, thats what its called.
i have it in both ears and i am having surgery in 12 days to try to get rid of it. good luck! lib

Old 09-17-2004, 11:59 AM   #8

lashby HB User

I also have PET. I have been to numerous ENTs that couldn't figure out what I had. I ended up diagnosing myself from what I read on the Internet. I kept looking for doctors who could help, and yesterday I found one. I had never even found a doctor that had heard of PET until now. He gave me a prescription for SSKI (Potassium Iodide). It comes in liquid form and I put 10 drops into water or juice three times a day for a few months. I will let you all know if it improves my condition. I'm praying it works.

Has anyone else tried SSKI?

Old 09-17-2004, 05:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I used to get that a LOT! And it was REALLY bad when I was pregnant!! I was told (I forgot by whom) that it is a symptom of TMJ! Could be, because I'd have to hold my jaw a certain way so that my ear wouldn't "block" like that! ANNOYING!! And it would come, then just go away - nothing would cause it to come and nothing I did caused ti to go away!

Old 09-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #10

Chicago Sandy HB User

I think I have it too, though my symptoms are a weird form of autophony (I hear my voice in the affected ear, as well as others' voices over the phone using that ear, in two octaves simultaneously), fullness, and pitch distortion (instruments--but not vocals or pure tone pitches--sound tinny, out of tune, and even major chords sound dissonant). The latter appears nowhere in any medical literature as a symptom of PET, but is thought to originate in the cochlea or even the brain. I dn't hear my own breathing or pulse, however. (Brain and inner ear MRI is negative for any tumors, benign or malignant). I recently lost 45 lbs (don't want to regain it, got 40 more to go), which is often cited as a cause of PET because fat deposits are supposed to help hold the tube closed. What I wonder is whether any surgeon has tried autologous fat transplantation around the OUTSIDE of the tube (in other words, where nature intended the fat to be and where it used to be) rather than injections of fat to decrease the lumen--it sounds far more logical and natural to me than trying to bulk up or close the tube from the inside.

Meanwhile, I'm a professional musician (guitar, dulcimer, vocals), so this is not just an annoying matter of esthetics to me. And I can't partake of the standard fix, which is reclining or putting my head between my knees--kind hard to perfom like that!

Old 09-18-2004, 05:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy
I think I have it too, though my symptoms are a weird form of autophony (I hear my voice in the affected ear, as well as others' voices over the phone using that ear, in two octaves simultaneously), fullness, and pitch distortion (instruments--but not vocals or pure tone pitches--sound tinny, out of tune, and even major chords sound dissonant). The latter appears nowhere in any medical literature as a symptom of PET, but is thought to originate in the cochlea or even the brain. I dn't hear my own breathing or pulse, however. (Brain and inner ear MRI is negative for any tumors, benign or malignant). I recently lost 45 lbs (don't want to regain it, got 40 more to go), which is often cited as a cause of PET because fat deposits are supposed to help hold the tube closed. What I wonder is whether any surgeon has tried autologous fat transplantation around the OUTSIDE of the tube (in other words, where nature intended the fat to be and where it used to be) rather than injections of fat to decrease the lumen--it sounds far more logical and natural to me than trying to bulk up or close the tube from the inside.

Meanwhile, I'm a professional musician (guitar, dulcimer, vocals), so this is not just an annoying matter of esthetics to me. And I can't partake of the standard fix, which is reclining or putting my head between my knees--kind hard to perfom like that!
if you dont hear your own breathing in your ear it probabley is not p e t,
autophoney is a symptom of a lot of ear problems, sscd, hyperacusis, muscular problems its a nightmare sorting it out.
they have to bulk the e tube from the inside lining, cant from the outside because of the leathal location of the corotid artery.
find a top notch neurotoligst, and good luck!
lib

Old 09-19-2004, 11:08 PM   #12

Chicago Sandy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib
if you dont hear your own breathing in your ear it probabley is not p e t,
autophoney is a symptom of a lot of ear problems, sscd, hyperacusis, muscular problems its a nightmare sorting it out.
they have to bulk the e tube from the inside lining, cant from the outside because of the leathal location of the corotid artery.
find a top notch neurotoligst, and good luck!
lib
aaaahhh, forgot about that pesky carotid artery (who built this thing, anyway? ). And I have a really good neurotologist......who is off hiking the Appalachian Trail as we speak. I do notice that sometimes things will get louder (though not painfully so) and I can actually feel the bass moving my left eardrum (kind of a fluttery feeling).

Old 09-20-2004, 04:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy
aaaahhh, forgot about that pesky carotid artery (who built this thing, anyway? ). And I have a really good neurotologist......who is off hiking the Appalachian Trail as we speak. I do notice that sometimes things will get louder (though not painfully so) and I can actually feel the bass moving my left eardrum (kind of a fluttery feeling).
your symptoms sound a bit like mine, going down the stapedial or palatal myoclonus, or tensor tympani syndrome road now...i can def feel the ear drum move, it has progressivley gotten worse over time.
list all of your symptoms if you get a chance, i would love to compare.
describe the telephone symptoms with out the music jargon( not versed in that) its like voices in one ear trigger the other ear to go nuts for me.
yeah the corotid...gotta be careful, only one doc in the world can really treat pet and we are lucky to have him here in the usa.
lib

Old 09-20-2004, 10:10 AM   #14

Chicago Sandy HB User

I don't have any hearing loss at all--my audiogram is off the charts for an adult, especially one who used to play in rock bands. I've always been able to hear the sound of my own breathing--but at the same level as others can hear me breathe, so I don't think that's the kind of symptom you get with PET. Here are my symptoms:
In my left ear alone:
1. Feeling of fullness
2. Very mild tinnitus
3. Sometimes a "rushing" sound, like holding a seashell to your ear
4. Feeling of pressure, congestion, and occasionally a "mumps-like" pain in the salivary gland below and behind the ear and mastoid bone
5. Occasional ability to "feel" bass my eardrum fluttering in response
6. Not now, but in the past I've heard crackling/rumbling in that ear when lying on that side.
7. When I hold the phone to my left ear or when I sing or speak, I can hear both the regular pitch of the voice and the octave below it--like it was recorded on two separate tracks and played back together. Like I am singing the regular notes with a tape of somebody (or me) singing or talking the same melody but an octave (eight notes) lower playing back at exactly the same time. Kinda like two voices at once. The best way to describe it to a non-musician is like when you hear a song (usually disco or dance-rock music) with a weird effect on the singer's voice. Sorry I can't describe it in more lay terms.
8. Outside sounds are louder in that ear than in the right ear.
Not specific to the left ear:
1. Pianos and acoustic (non-electric) guitars sound "watery"
2. Most instruments--but especially piano, acoustic guitar, autoharp, mandolin, violin, and pipe or jazz organ--that have long sustain and decay times (i.e., the note lasts awhile before it fades away, rather than dropping off abruptly) sound off-key--usually slightly flat (too low) or less often, sharp (too high). They--especially violins--sound "sour," kind of like a children's orchestra that doesn't quite know how to tune or finger the notes properly and uniformly.
3. Those same instruments that are usually plucked with the fingernails, strummed with a pick, or hit with hammers (like the piano) not only sound off-key but when notes are played together (a "chord"), sound like some of the notes are wrong even when they all are right. Usually it's the highest notes that sound "off." I try to tune my guitars--my ears tell me the notes are wrong but the electronic tuner I use tells me they are right. And even if each string played separately sounds right, when more than one note is played together or if they overlap, they sound wrong.
4. Those stringed instruments also sound scratchy and scrape-y--like I'm hearing the sound of fingernails and picks just as loudly as the notes actually being played--like running your fingernails across a window screen, oven rack or bicycle spokes. And guitars don't sound as full and rich as they're supposed to (or did before I got sick).
5. If I'm playing (or listening to) an "interval," which is one note played and then another higher one played afterward, that second higher note sounds like it is not high enough. I will always sing it higher than the sound it makes when it's played--but people tell me both the sung and played notes are exactly right. I have to listen very hard to make the notes sound closer to right--kind of like squinting with my ears instead of my eyes
6. Singing voices--my own and others--sound perfectly fine and in tune, even when sung in harmony. And certain instruments sound fine: saxophone, trumpet, flute, bass (except the highest notes), cello, banjo, certain electric guitars that sound warm, smooth or "fat." Even though I like folk music more than blues or hard rock, the latter are easier for me to listen to right now.

Sorry I can't be less music-specific, but as a musician, these are the symptoms that affect me the most and which most laymen would probably not be bothered as much by or even notice. The symptoms that affect how I hear music are impossible to describe non-musically. I notice this is happening in cycles now--when it improves it's a little bit better each time and when it relapses it's either not quite as bad or no worse than the last time. Unfortunately, I've just caught another cold (according to the way my throat feels), so who knows?

Old 09-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

i have some of those symptoms for sure..when do you go back to the neurotoligist?
look at the muscle prob too.
its insane trying to sort this out!
lib

Closed Thread