It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

MMFL HB User
NO symptoms after stapedectomy?

I'm wondering if anyone else has had no strange symptoms after a stapedectomy? I'm on day 5 after my left ear stapedectomy and so far I have been feeling great and have no strange sensations or sounds in my operated ear. I don't have the fullness or fluid sensation either. Frankly, as crazy as it sounds, it's worrying me! I had a stapedectomy on my right ear in January and posted on the stapedectomy report thread. I had just about all of the same healing symptoms as everyone else, so this is concerning. I don't have hearing in the operated ear, but I didn't expect to due to swelling/fluid. My first stapedectomy was a complete success and it's worrying me that this one is so very different. I'm afraid that something went wrong.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Missy

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: MMFL
lacyjan (02-16-2011)
Old 04-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

Melredmom HB User
Re: NO symptoms after stapedectomy?

I would call your doctor - but I'd also say count your blessings. My doctor said he's had patients that were like nothing happened the next day - others like me - that take 2-3 weeks or more to feel half way normal - so it's likely nothing to worry about. You may just be fortunate to be one of those that has few side effects of surgery - Good for you! But for peace of mind, call your doctor's office and make certain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

thegboyz HB User

I just had mine today on my left ear and I have no symptoms either. It's still the first day but I expected to be laid out and nauseus. So far I've been helping to take care of the kids (light work). I do believe that tomorrow it'll catch up to me but as of today, only a little pressure. I will admit to a couple of times my ear popped but that was painless.

Have you had any of the ear popping or the slight pressure pain?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

MMFL HB User

No, I haven't had any popping. Every now and then I get a slight pain for a second. I swear if I didn't still have a little discharge on the cotton ball I might doubt that the ear was even operated on!

I'm going to call the dr tomorrow. It just sounds crazy to say "I'm just calling because I'm doing too well" My other ear took me 2 to 3 weeks to feel better, like most everyone says. I guess it's a good problem to have!

Thanks for the replies, and I hope you continue to do well in your recoveries.

Missy

Old 04-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
(male)

e022313 HB User

Hi, Iím new to posting on these boards, so let me first say Thank You to all those who posted their experiences here, as they help me prepare for my Stapedectomy. I will post this here and on the main board, My Stapedectomy also. In an effort to keep this as short as possible Iíll only give the high points. Keep in mind I had the premier surgeon in the Phx, AZ areaÖ Dr Fucci.

Surgery Friday 4/25, woke up feeling fine. Wheeled into recovering and had to lye with my ear up for four hours. Still felt fine with a couple of pain meds. No dizziness or nausea. Then got dressed to leave, still no dizziness. Went home feeling good, needed a pain pill at 6PM and 10PM. Woke at 4AM with some mild pain, so took another pain pill, which was to be my last. Sat woke feeling great, had some mild pain around noon, so just took some Advil. Have only used Advil since then. Felt wonderful all day Sat. Woke Sunday and had some mild out of balance issues, I wouldnít call it dizziness, as the room didnít spin, just when I would walk, I would tend to fall a bit to the right (surgery on right ear). This condition cleared up by noon and I felt great all day and all day Monday also. I came back to work today and I still feel great. Iím a little tired and if I walk to fast, I have a bit of the out of balance feeling. But, all in all, considering that I had a Stapedectomy, and the symptoms Iíve read about, I feel extremely lucky.

Now to the hearing portion of this. The evening after the surgery, I had to tell everyone to tone it down a bit. I guess they were use to speaking loudly to me and now their volume was hurting my new bionic ear. The next morning that went away, now I couldnít hear anything. My ear pops constantly and I have various noises going on in there. Gurggling, pinging, etc. One night I bit down on a carrot on the same side as my operated ear and it was like someone hitting a pipe with a wrench. I heard this loud tink that sounded like someone hitting the titanium prosthesis. This morning on the way to work the noise from the road was amazing. It was like my ear was connect to the tires of the car.

All in all, I have had a fabulous experience so far and look forward to having the packing taken out this coming Monday, 5/5 and begin hear again.

Again, thank you to all of those that posted in the past.

PS. My doctor removed a small bit of vein from my arm to be used to put around the prosthesis, and in the hole of the window. He said that this would help with the dizziness.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
(female)

thegboyz HB User

e022...

Welcome. I'm glad to hear of your good experience. I've had much the same. It hasn't been perfect but it's only been two days. I have some popping and I have mild pain. I also have that slight taste sensation on the operated side of my tongue, which I've read on the posts to be common. Please continue to tell your story. I go on 5/8 to get the packing vacuumed out. I have noticed that the ringing in my ears is louder. I almost couldn't go to sleep last night because the ringing was so loud.

Missy-

Did you ever call the doc? What did they say? Are you worrying about nothing or did you have cause for concern? I would like to hear how you are doing.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
(female)

MMFL HB User

eo22...Glad to hear you are having such a great recovery. It was helpful to hear that someone else was doing so well. I really had never heard of that before and it was starting to freak me out!

gboyz...Thanks for checking on me! I did call the dr and they said it's not uncommon to be doing this well after surgery and that they would see me in a couple of weeks! That was great news, but I still don't understand how I'm having such drastically different experiences between ears. Unfortunately, I missed the nurse's call and she left a message, so I didn't get to ask specifically about why there would be differences. I think I'll be on pins and needles until I either start hearing the strange noises in the ear, or get a good hearing test.

How are you both feeling now? Hope you continue to do well!

Missy

Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
(male)

e022313 HB User

MMFL - did you DR use a bit of vein or some tissue from inside your ear to close the hole. I'm thinking that the vein could be the reason for my quick recovery. My Dr said that it helps with the dizziness. That and the fact that my surgeon has done hundreds of these and probably is doing it with the least amount of trama to the ear are my thoughts.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
(female)

thegboyz HB User

One thing I notice is a louder ringing in my ear as before the surgery. I'm hoping the ringing GOES AWAY!! I despise the ringing.

Missy- You prob. already said but when was your last ear operated on. What is the time between the two ears being operated on and was it the same doc?

e022-Since this is a genetic hearing loss disorder, do you know who in your family had this? The reason why I ask is because it's common in women and in my family I have two aunts (on my dads side) and my grandma that had it. I am concerned for my boys. I have four of them and now worry that one of them will get this.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
(female)

MMFL HB User

eo22..No, my dr didn't use vein or tissue. They drew some of my blood prior to surgery and used that. From what I understand he uses it where he drills for the footplate and also to seal the eardrum back. If I remember correctly, I don't have packing in there, just my own blood. It's so bizarre how many different techniques there are to do this same surgery! I absolutely love my surgeon. I feel so grateful to him for giving me back my hearing in my first ear. He is Mayo trained and has his own center in Jacksonville. I did tons of background checks and consulted with a couple of other drs before deciding. It's reassuring to be so confident in our drs, isn't it?

gboyz..The ringing in my ear was louder for awhile after surgery. It did calm down, so hopefully you have that to look forward to! I hope you are trying to take it as easy as possible even while it sounds like you feel pretty good. I've been forcing myself to accept help with my son and house stuff because I really don't want to undo anything! You asked about my first surgery. It was in January, 3 months apart. I did use the same surgeon, which is why it is so strange that I'm having such an easy time this go-around.

I'd like to keep up with you guys and see how you're healing, if you don't mind. I'll keep posting my updates.

Missy

Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
(female)

thegboyz HB User

This morning I stretched and heard a pop. I can not hear very well out of the operated ear now. I know that it is suppose to come and go so I will wait for it to come back. I am trying to take it easy. It's hard when you feel well and you feel like you can do things. The reality is...you shouldn't do those things. I've been trying to be still.

I don't understand what you both are talking about when you say vein or blood put into the ear. My doc took some skin from the back of my ear in case he needed it. He actually used it to fix my ear drum which was thin. Did he place the vein in the ear? Fill me in.

Today though, since the stretching incident this morning, I have had some sharp pain that has come and go in my ear.

I haven't mastered the shower situation yet. I tried yesterday but was really nervous about getting water in my ear. The part that I wanted to wash the most was the hair and back of the ear that was operated on. Have you guys mastered that yet. I tried the vasaline on cotton ball but was still nervous that water would get through. Should I not be?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
(male)

e022313 HB User

Blood, wow, that may work the same way as the vein. I think the scrapping of tissue inside the ear is probably just more trama to the ear, so they've figured out how to use these other methods.

gboyz - I have significant ringing in my ear also. I try not to get too excited about any of the noises I hear right now, as with the swelling and packings, I hear all kinds of things. Next week will be the real test, when the packing gets taken out. I can't wait.

My father had significant earing loss, as he wore hearing aids in both ears. I don't know if he had this condition. I'll make a guess and say that I would bet that we see more and more men getting this done in the future. Years ago, if you had hearing loss, you slapped an aid on your ear and lived with the side effects. Now that the surgery is so successful and less dibilitating, I think hearing aids will be a last resort. My Dr did four of these the day of my surgery.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
(female)

MMFL HB User

I'd like to hear more about what is done with the vein too, if you know more. The blood used in my surgery was just used topically, to seal, the way I understand it.

I'm finally starting to get something going on inside my ear, here on day 7. I feel it opening and closing a bit, have a wet feeling and am starting to get occasional wooshing sounds. Are you guys still extremely tired? That's actually been the worst thing I've had this time. Just a feeling of being completely run down.

The shower...fun times! Here's what I do and so far I haven't had any problems. I put a cottonball in my ear, coat it entirely with vaseline making sure it's sealed all the way around inside my ear. Then I wrap my whole ear in saran wrap. I put on a showercap while I'm showering. When I'm ready to wash my hair I take off the showercap and hold a small cup over my ear, with a washcloth rolled up inside it to kind of form around my saran wrapped covered ear. The washcloth soaks up any water that may seep under the cup. I know it is complete overkill, and my husband thinks I'm ridiculous, but it works and I feel really sure that water isn't getting in my ear. Give it a try!

Missy

Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
(female)

thegboyz HB User

Missy
I haven't really been tired at all. Are you taking meds? I just put the connection together today that when I take the vicodin, I feel dizzy and different. I will not be taking it anymore. Besides, I don't really need it. I feel a little pain and decide to take a vicodin, what is wrong with me? I will try to stick to the tylenol. I prob. don't need any pain meds. My point is, if you are taking vicodin or something close then perhaps that is what is making you tired. I have read on these posts though that some people get really tired. You may just be one of those people. It might have something to do with your body trying to heal itself.

Thanks for the shower info. I need to buy a shower cap. Where do you get those anyways? Do you tape the saran wrap on your ear? How do you get the saran wrap to stay? I am in desperate need of a shower. I still have dried up blood behind my ear from Mondays operation. Sorry if that is too much information

I can't wait to be on day 7!! Congrats to you Missy on having something going!!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
(female)

MMFL HB User

Hi gboyz...No, I haven't taken any pain meds at all, not even tylenol. I haven't had any pain this time or the first time. I should just probably make the effort to get to bed earlier. I don't know why I fight sleep!

I don't tape the saran wrap. I just wrap it around my ear a couple of times and stick it to itself. You should be able to pick up a shower cap anywhere really, Walmart, Walgreens I would think. I did have my husband gently scrub the yucky stuff from behind my ear the first shower after surgery while I held the cup over all the other things on my ear. After that I haven't needed any help staying clean

Missy

Closed Thread