It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

vitamina HB User
doctor has told you to avoid loud noises after stap?I'm desperate about it..

In every place there are noises...pubs, cinema, cars in the road..disco..what has told your doctor about it? you have a more sensitive ear now? and why?

Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
(female)

TXMommy27 HB User
Re: doctor has told you to avoid loud noises after stap?I'm desperate about it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamina View Post
In every place there are noises...pubs, cinema, cars in the road..disco..what has told your doctor about it? you have a more sensitive ear now? and why?
It's going to take a while for your brain to learn to process the sounds you have not been hearing for a long time - right now they are flooding your brain when you go loud places, and it has not had time to "learn how to hear." My advice? Small steps. Go out and give your brain opportunities, but don't overload it. I went to the grocery store 6 days after surgery - between the road noise and store noise, it was too much. I had to go home and take some medicine I was so dizzy. After that I learned to take the noise in smaller noises. Watching Tv, I have noticed that sometimes the music and sound effects drown out the words and hurt my ear, so for now I keep the volume low and turn on the closed-captioning to help when words are hard to make out. I have not gone to a movie (cinema) but don't plan to for awhile. I have noticed that when I am exposed to loud noises for too long, my tinnitis is worse. I had the loud heartbeat for hours the night after grocery shopping, but since then, not even any buzzing!

Don't hide in a quiet home, or your brain won't get practice - just do it in small doses at first, and increase your tolerance. Sorry if I sound like a teacher - I am one, so I can't help it! And be patient, like many on this board have said. Rushing into "normal social life" will just cause setbacks. I have had lunch in restaurants with friends and am just fine, so you don't have to be anti-social. You'll know if you have done too much when you are TOO uncomfortable.

This is MY opinion. My DR didn't give me a whole lot of info about this, so it is based on what people have posted here, other research I have done, and what makes sense to me. Hope it helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
(female)

vitamina HB User
Re: doctor has told you to avoid loud noises after stap?I'm desperate about it..

thank you for your answer...I know this of the brain, but my fear is to cause a damage to the ear, I don't matter about the brain, I don't have this problem of intolerance to the noise, no dizzy, etc...my only problem is to understand if my ear is more sensitive (fisically) to the noises, so I can create a neurosensorial hearing loss if i go to noisy places...may be because the doctor cut off the stapedius tendon ,a muscle of the ear that protect the ear from luod noises ...your doctor have told you this?thanks so much...

Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
(female)

TXMommy27 HB User

vitamina -

I asked my otologist about this last week. He said that loud noises would not damage my hearing (at least no more than the average person). He said that I will get used to the loudness, it will be less painful (which is already true) and it really is the brain getting used to the sounds again.

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread