It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
(male)

gerbilaurus HB User
Ears plugged up, ringing, etc.

I may have ETD, but two ENTs say everything is fine. I do have tinnitus and I know stress exacerbates that. I also have the crackling noise that I see lots of people on the forum have as well. But there are some things I need help with as to what might be going on.

First, every so often my ears feel plugged up and I have some high frequency hearing loss. This seems to be worse with higher humidity, or when there is a change in the seasonal weather patterns (if that makes sense). Could this be allergies or more ETD problems? I've had a skin allergy test and was told I'm not allergic to anything. Sometimes I regain the hearing loss and but it seems I'm losing more hearing over time.

Second, every so often I get a sudden feeling of one ear being plugged up (like someone stuck a finger in my ear), this is accompanied by loud ringing in that ear. It usually last for about 30 seconds or so. I have read on the forum that this may be a muscle spasm? I can sometimes actually feel a pulling sensation in the ear as well (so maybe I answered my own question).

Third, Sometimes I will wake up in the morning and will experience loud ringing in my ears that correlates to specific sounds, like water running, or other higher frequency sounds, like a paper bag being wadded up. The ringing starts when the noise starts and stops when the noise stops? This may last for a day or two.

Anyway, any input from the learned members of this forum is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Re: Ears plugged up, ringing, etc.

I have had many of the same symptoms for about six months. I do find they relate to the weather - air pressure, etc. A visit to the ENT proved nothing as did the GP. Acupuncture and message did not help either. One thing that has helped is a baby asprin (or two) several times a day. I had tried Sudafed, Musinex, etc. and the baby asprin really helped. I take two before bedtime and that helps the morning problems and then one or two several times a day as needed. Take it with food as it can upset the stomach.

glowing4

Old 08-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
(male)

gerbilaurus HB User

Interesting - thanks for the reply. I might give the baby aspirin a try. My symptoms were a bit better yesterday, but seemed to have gotten somewhat worse again today.

Thanks again!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
(male)

fueledbymusic HB User

I have that same problem too. Its plugged up. The call I made to the nurse. She suggested that I probably have too much wax built up in my ear. This was based on my saying that I stick to many objects in my ear to scratch my itch in my ear!

But for me everytime I clean my ear with a qtip, its seems my ear canal gets irritated and feels swelled up and plugs my ear and I get the "electric motor" ringing!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
(male)

gerbilaurus HB User

fueledbymusic,

I had some tests done a few years ago when this first started. I tested negative for allergies, and had no wax buildup, and whatever pressure test they gave me was normal. Very frustrating to not have any answers but still have the feeling of my ears being plugged up and some loss of hearing.

From what I have read, if you have an earwax buildup problem, you need to go to an ENT doc and have them clean your ears fro you, that way you don't damage them doing it yourself. I think they might want to flush the ear canal out with something.

Closed Thread