It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
(male)

chiefsfan2008 HB User
Unhappy Having Stapedectomy in 8 days worried!!

I'am scheduled to have a stapedectomy Friday 10-3-08. My concerns are that all of the trreads that I have read people have been awake for their surgery and my doctor will be putting me to sleep for the procedure has anyone else had it done that way???

Also I have taken 5 days off work do you think that is enough I'm worried about the vertigo. How bad is the vertigo will I be able to drive and fuction??

Old 09-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

kitchener12 HB User
Re: Having Stapedectomy in 8 days worried!!

Hi chiefsfan2008

I replied to your post on the ENT board and recommended you come on this board too.

Your dr may be putting you out for many reasons, he may be doing the surgery by laser, mine used a drill (!) and then yelled in the operated ear to ensure I could hear him before sticking all th packing in..

As far as I have read some people have NO vertigo and some have lots its a crap shoot I guess, from others post here I think everyone responds differently to the surgery...some have pain but no vertigo, some nothing and some pain, dizzies and numb stuff...I just wished I had been on this board before instead of after so I could have been better informed

My dr advised very little of anything for 7 days including panicing (!)

PLease dont; worry you may be fine afterwards I did feel great on day 2 went to the mall, out for lunch and then paid for it the days after.

I think if you relax for the 5 days you have booked off you will be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
(male)

chiefsfan2008 HB User

Thanks so much each time I get a response it eases my mind a little.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

TXMommy27 HB User

I had my first stap. in July, and my next one is scheduled for 10.14. Like kitchener12 stated, relax and don't do too much for the whole time you are out. I am a teacher, and had my first one in the summer since I didn't know what to expect. I was planning to wait and do the other ear next summer, but I am loving my bionic hearing so much I couldn't wait! I am only taking 4 days off work (plus the weekend), but I plan to take it easy when I go back.

I also was knocked out for the surgery, happily. My dr. used laser. I was very dizzy when I woke up, and felt a lot of pain. It was manageable with meds and was better after a few days.

Vertigo seems to be different for everyone. My dr. prescribed valium, but I didn't take any until I had an episode of vertigo - then I took it as prescribed! Never got sick, though. I drove for the first time about 6 days after surgery, and felt fine, but the street noise and noise in the grocery store gave me a huge headache. Give yourself time to adjust to noise, it can sometimes be painful. It just takes some time.

I am SO glad I did it, and can't wait to have the other one done. It is worth it to regain your hearing!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

kitchener12 HB User

Hi chiefsfan2008

Just wanted to wish you good luck on your surgery

Will check back and see how you're doing in a few days

Old 10-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
(male)

fraz2112 HB User

To bad for the chiefs today. Sorry. Just had my stapedectomy, Yesterday 10-4-08. They put me under for my procedure and I woke without to many complications. I did feel a little sick but they had put a patch on my good ear to help and was told to leave it on 3 days. I never threw up but am still a little dizzy. Still bleeding just a little but like so many before me I feel it's worth it if I get my hearing back. Still have ringing in my operated ear but now it changes pitch and I hear my heartbeat a lot.I can't hear hardly anything in operated ear but hope that will change in a week when I get my packing out. I was just super happy to find out about this when I did and thank the Lord I don't have to deal with hearing aids the rest of my life. Like who can afford the good ones anyway. Still feeling a little disoriented but read on these awesome post that it's only short term. I also have a sore throat but all in all everything is great.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
(male)

fraz2112 HB User

Hey Cheifsfan, how did it go?

Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
(male)

chiefsfan2008 HB User

Went great a little light headed still no hearing out of my operated ear hope that will change. super tired. Thanks for checking back

Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
(female)

kitchener12 HB User

Hi guys
Glad to hear your doing well, lots of rest and patience is all you need now.
I had my stap Sept 11 and still have a funky numb toungue but dr said should go eventually.
Patience and more patience while it all heals up.

Good luck and glad to hear all went well

PS I havent had any tinnitus for almost a week now, silence sure is golden!
gonna forget I said that, still don;t want to jinx it!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
(male)

chiefsfan2008 HB User

Hey went good numb tongue feel disorieanted at times no pain med as of yesterday. no hearing in operated ear. iguess that is normal for a couple of weeks. super tired

Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
(female)

kitchener12 HB User

Hey chiefsfan2008

Sounds like it all went as planned, I didn't need pain meds after the first day either, but keep them close by....don't over do it for at least a week, don't eat out or go to the mall, both will really tire you out.

Numb tounge should go away (although can take a few months!!) good for dieting

YOu wont hear much from ear till swelling goes down, couple of weeks even.
YOu may hear strange sounds cracking and popping and a heartbeat, all are normal things...

If you were knocked out for the surgery it will be a few days until the anesthetic gets out of your system, take it easy.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
(male)

fraz2112 HB User

Day 4 for me and I drove today and actually heard out of operated ear even with packing in. Cool. Although it sounded like a special effects record out of the 70's. Everything taste bland and still feel disoriented. Have to go back to work tomorrow, well see how that goes. I get my packing out in 3 more days and I'll let you know how that goes. Hey Chiefs fan... Don't know if your religious but I said a quick prayer for your recovery and for our chiefs even though I really don't think God cares who wins it never hurts to try.

Last edited by fraz2112; 10-07-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Closed Thread