It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
(male)

sayberk HB User
Very loud ear ringing after stapedectomy...

I had my operation 3 days ago.I have all the discomforts like the dizzeness,discharge and etc which I can live with.Right after the surgery I had this loud,very disturbing ear ringing and 3 days passed by but the noise is still there with full force.I had ear ringing before the surgery and one of the reasons I decided to have the surgery was to get rid of this.Unfortunately this noise is much worse than before.I was wondering if anyone had this experience?I called my doctor and she asked me to be patient and wait till the packing is taken out.But this really irritates me.Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to sayberk For This Useful Post:
tinnitim (07-06-2012)
Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Very loud ear ringing after stapedectomy...

I've never had a stapendectomy before, but I have had bilateral cochlear implant surgery and suffered severe tinnitus as a result. My surgeon explained that the tinnitus was caused by trauma to the ear (in my case, the cochlea) during surgery and that the tinnitus would resolve itself in time. Eventually it did and now I only experience mild to moderate tinnitus on an occaisional basis.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

kitchener12 HB User

Hi sayberk

I had my stapedectomy back in Sept it took about 2 weeks for me to feel remotely normal and about 2 months to feel happy with the outcome.
PATIENCE is the key here and lots of rest your ear has a lot of healing to do and the swelling will take time to go down.

I too decided to go ahead with the surgery because of that awful noise although my hearing was almost nil it was the head noise that drove me crazy.

Every one has a different experience and recovery time just hang in there!
Best wishes with your recovery. remember patience and rest....

Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
(female)

aysha26 HB User

I think the magical word is the patience for this operation...
I had terrible tinnitus, ringing in the first week.. But I'm in week 5 now really better...After 2 weeks everything will be normal..Of course everyone's healing process is different, but if we have patience our ears will listen to us and everything will be better.. Just be patient and wait..

Old 12-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

eleni1 HB User

Hello,

It has been about 3 1/2 weeks since I had my stapedectomy in my right ear. I had my other surgery in my left ear about a year ago, with the same doctor. Unfortunately, the recovery after this recent surgery has not gone as smoothly. I also have had an intense high pitched ringing in my right ear since the day I came home from the hospital. I had the packaging removed, but that did not seem to help alleviate the ringing. The doctor said that it would probably go away as the ear heals, but I am not sure if I truly believe that.

Does anyone else have ringing? If so, has it gotten better and how long did it take?

Sayberk--do you still have the ringing? Have you been back to your doctor about this? If so, what was the response?

Has anyone found a remedy to help with the ringing???

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
(male)

sayberk HB User

Hi,unfortunately the ringing is still bothering me.My hearing is getting better,last time I saw the doctor she told me to be patient and the ringing will be gone by time.I will be seeing the doctor again next week,hopefully I will have a better answer this time.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
(female)

eleni1 HB User

Hi Sayberk--
I also went to go see my doctor for the ringing in my ear following my surgery in early Dec. After examining my ear, he told me that everything looked fine and that I should not be worried about it. He also said that he thinks it will gradually dissipate with time. Unfortunately, I have not experienced any relief from the ringing.

What did your doctor tell you about the ringing that you have? Has your ringing gone down at all?

This is truly nerve racking!
Thanks for your input,
Eleni

Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
(female)

readi2run HB User

I had a stapedectomy 21 mo. ago. I still have the ringing in my ear, but I also had it before the surgery. I can hear better, but to say the least the ringing is still present. I also had nerve damage in that ear to, and that is irreversible, so that is probably why.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
(female)

Mom42 HB User

I had ringing after my stapedectomy for about 3 weeks. Finally the 4th week when they took out the packing is when it went away. Actually I just noticed it now, LOL! Funny, how you get so use to something, that when it is gone, you forgot.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

boondoggle HB User

The mods here are power hungry.

Last edited by boondoggle; 06-19-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
(male)

rpurser HB User

eleni1

I saw your post...how is your condition now? I am getting middle ear reconstruction surgery next week at UCSF -- I am nervous about it.

Ron

Closed Thread