It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

ladyalpha HB User
Fluid in ear with collapsed ear drum

Hello everyone, I am new to this board but I found it in a google search and I thought I would take a chance that someone here could help me.
My oldest daughter, who is 12, has had hearing problems/infections since she was about a year and a half years old. She has had two sets of tubes, adenoids and tonsils removed. With the tubes she still had a lot of infections and now she has a lot of scar tissue in her ears, which is causing hearing loss.
Thursday we took her to her ear doctor for a routine hearing test. (She goes in every six months to make sure there aren't any changes). Her doctor said she is doing fine with her right ear however her left ear has fluid and she has a collapsed ear drum. He has put her on a steroid and antibiotics (even though she does not have an infection or any pain in the ear..I'm assuming this is precautionary measures on his part). He did say that we may be looking at another tube in the left ear.

I am very hesitant to have any more tubes, and she doesn't want another surgery on her ears. I guess my questions surround would that even help or be necessary for this problem? Have any of you dealt with this, either personally or with your own child?

Through my reading on collapsed ear drums I have read that they will spontaneously fix themselves. Tubes, for my daughter, have not solved any problems in my experience. She continued to have fluid, ear infections, hearing loss, and scar tissue. Why put her through another surgery that may not even be necessary or may not correct the problem? (This is how I see it right now, and I admit that I am so close to this that I may not be seeing the other side of things).

Thank you very much for any help and/or information you can share with me. I have three weeks before her next appointment to have as much knowledge as a parent as possible. Hopefully by then this will all be cleared up and we won't have to worry about it, but just incase.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
(female)

beth border HB User
Re: Fluid in ear with collapsed ear drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalpha View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this board but I found it in a google search and I thought I would take a chance that someone here could help me.
My oldest daughter, who is 12, has had hearing problems/infections since she was about a year and a half years old. She has had two sets of tubes, adenoids and tonsils removed. With the tubes she still had a lot of infections and now she has a lot of scar tissue in her ears, which is causing hearing loss.
Thursday we took her to her ear doctor for a routine hearing test. (She goes in every six months to make sure there aren't any changes). Her doctor said she is doing fine with her right ear however her left ear has fluid and she has a collapsed ear drum. He has put her on a steroid and antibiotics (even though she does not have an infection or any pain in the ear..I'm assuming this is precautionary measures on his part). He did say that we may be looking at another tube in the left ear.

I am very hesitant to have any more tubes, and she doesn't want another surgery on her ears. I guess my questions surround would that even help or be necessary for this problem? Have any of you dealt with this, either personally or with your own child?

Through my reading on collapsed ear drums I have read that they will spontaneously fix themselves. Tubes, for my daughter, have not solved any problems in my experience. She continued to have fluid, ear infections, hearing loss, and scar tissue. Why put her through another surgery that may not even be necessary or may not correct the problem? (This is how I see it right now, and I admit that I am so close to this that I may not be seeing the other side of things).

Thank you very much for any help and/or information you can share with me. I have three weeks before her next appointment to have as much knowledge as a parent as possible. Hopefully by then this will all be cleared up and we won't have to worry about it, but just incase.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

onyxangel HB User
Re: Fluid in ear with collapsed ear drum

Hi this is very interesting as I am 25 years old now and have gone through EXACTLY the same things as your daughter. I had tubes put in my ears three times in each ear and although my right ear has fixed itself my left ear still has a collapsed eardrum and I still have fluid in that ear EVERY SINGLE DAY. Unfortunetly for me the surgeries did NOT work. I know the after math (few days after surgery) she is in pain but I would give it a go once more before throwing inthe towel...

Unfortunetly for me I have alot of scaring inside my ear therefore have suffered alot of hearing loss. But stay positive. For me I wish I would have had at least one more procedure done before my parents gave up .... maybe that would have saved me from what I consider to be a handicap in my life. Waking up everyday with fluid in the ear canal is NOT FUN! So like I said from "the kid" who had it done and went through it just perceiver with it at least once more.

Closed Thread