It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #16
(female)

niteskylover HB User
Re: Anyone have a stapedectomy go bad?

OOPS! I had the procedure done back in October and although my hearing is SO much improved, sometimes sounds do sound a little distorted or just weird from how I hear in my other ear. I did not have that gel pack, but you are only a month out of surgery, give it time, I'm sure it will improve! Good Luck!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to niteskylover For This Useful Post:
tinnitim (07-10-2012)
Old 06-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #17
(male)

nothearinghwell HB User

I am going to sa F__CK this operation too too many horror stories
going with the LYRIC!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
(female)

pplishka HB User

Well, they don't last forever and if your doctor told you taht, he was sadly mistaken. I am going to be going for a hearing test soon as I have read a lot on here of revisions and maybe that is what I need as I have noticed my hearing isn't quite as sharp as it had been in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskylover View Post
oh man, i hope that doesnt happen! I had it done in one ear in oct of 09 and i'm counting on it lasting forever!! My other ear seems ok and i'm not sure i'd do it again anyway, even though surgery went perfectly well, no complications or pain and an easy recovery...i'm just a wuss!! Doctor did say it could slip off and he'd have to go back and fix it, but that if that were to happen (prosthesis slipping off the bone) it would happen in the first year or not at all. I guess everyone is different?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
(female)

pplishka HB User

If your hearing is that bad and you are resigned to wearing a hearing aid the rest of our life, that is your perogative. However, the pros far outweigh the cons. There was a very slim chance of any type of side affects (hearing loss or hearing staying the same) that it as a no brainer for me to have it done. There are risks with any type of surgery...that is why it is all laid on the table so it is your choice. I definitely would do it all over even knowing the risks involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothearinghwell View Post
I am going to sa F__CK this operation too too many horror stories
going with the LYRIC!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
(female)

jumpla HB User

I had a very successful right ear stapedectomy six years ago - full hearing restored within days. In January 2010 I did the left ear (same doctor, same hospital) and had immediate problems, dizziness, nausea, got a cold within a week that may have caused infection, and ended up with 50% loss where I started with 20% loss at the time of surgery.

Question of whether to do a revision surgery. Doctor won't give me a straight answer! Never even gave me some of these stats that I'm reading here - about 80% success rate. He only said the chances of going fully deaf are now up to 2% from 1% for the first surgery. Anyone had a successful result the second time around?

Old 06-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
(female)

ozkeweenaw HB User

I had my left ear redone November 1, 2009. The dizziness was really bad for 2 weeks, however, my hearing is great. There are still some noises that I'm adjusting to, however, it's great to be able to take part in conversations again. I'm looking forward to contacting my surgeon in Spring 2011 for the right ear.

I'm fortunate enough to have the Chairman of the Dept. of the Hospital where I had this done. He was very up front with me, telling me that there is 80% of success the second time the surgery is done. He's very thorough, and won't consider doing the right ear that had gone bad without the ENG test that makes me physically sick each time I go through it. As I have stated before, don't hesitate to ask questions. You or your insurance is paying that doctor for his/her service. There are some surgeons without a conscience, and it's sad to say, but you need to be your own advocate.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #22
(female)

CAB1 HB User

Yes, mine went bad. Hearing was great until 3 months after surgery on the right ear. I had revision done 2 months later (Dec 2007) and it was replaced.

*The prosthesis had moved...I had a severe sinus infection and too much nose blowing.

Yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 06-22-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread