It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

pplishka HB User
Anyone have a stapedectomy go bad?

I had a double stapedectomy back in I think about 1999. It now appear that my hearing isn't so great as it was before. Has anyone had one and had to have it done again or anything like that?
Paula

Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
(male)

lamo HB User
Re: Anyone have a stapedectomy go bad?

Hi,
I just saw my doctor last friday a year after having a stapedectomy on my left ear.
When the packaging was removed my hearing was greatly improved, but within hours of attaining what people call "super hearing" i found myself cowering over at lunch trying to hear my friend speak in a restaurant. This was disappointing.
For the last 12 months i have suffered from dizziness(positional vertigo) which has been a real annoyance. I have noticed that my hearing has got progressively worse over the last 12 months and the tests on friday have confirmed it. My hearing has worsened in the last 11 since the packaging was removed considerably, to a level below what it was when i first had the operation.

I have just booked my re-vision stapedectomy with the same doctor for 6th October 09. Not looking forward going through it all again. Hopefully its something minor like the new stape simply slipping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

pplishka HB User

Mine wasd one way back in 1990. I have had hearing tests since then and they haven't said it is that bad. maybe I need to schedule an actual hearing test. I was in to see an ETN after mulitple visits to my regular doc who thought I had fluid in my ear. It had a plugged feeling. I was then in to see an ETN at a large hospital who knows the doc who did my stapedectomy originally. He said my ears were clear. I had a hearing test at that time and nothing was said about any type of loss. Maybe it is time to go in again. if I had to do it all over again, i would. In fact, before I had it done, one ETN I saw (who said I shouldn't get it done) said sometimes they only last about 10 years anyhow which is why he didn't want to do one on me (I was in my 20s at the time) and it is hereditary.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
(female)

ozkeweenaw HB User

I just had a revision done after 21 years last Monday. My local ENT guy seems to have a differing opinion than the ENT doctor that I'm working with, that my family doctor took 2 years to convince me to drive 520 miles one way. My understanding is the prosthesis doesn't wear out, but scar tissue formed around it. Being a music major at the time of the original one, I really didn't have a choice. Hearing aids are NOT conducive for teaching music, as the technology isn't there yet.

Present surgeon was honest and told me that there is only an 80% chance of success with revisions, small chance of losing my hearing altogether, and about 15% chance of staying where I was at the present time. I heard him whisper to me in the OR before the packing was put in. I was awake and comfortable the entire time. Hope everything went well!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
(female)

Laureen HB User

Hi ozkeweenaw!

I would like to wish you the best of hearing with your revision surgery. I think that your first was quite successful as it has lasted for more than 20 years. This is the longest period I have heard that they last (20-25 years). I don't know anyone that had it done and lasted for 30 or 40 years.
Sometimes scar tissue forms and other times the prosthesis slips or the incus gets erroded.
I am looking forward to hearing from more people with similar experiences (good or bad). I am considering this operation as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
(male)

lamo HB User

Hi guys, been way too busy recently to reply about how I got on with my recent revision stapedectomy, but here it is 5 weeks after.
After the operation, to my relief, surgeon told me that there were two things that had gone wrong. First the stape had slipped.
Second, which is quite rare, he said, that i had otosclerois forming on my malleus bone. He had to perform an atticotomy procedure to free up the malleus bone.
One day after the operation, i had very little dizzinezz again a great relief. Only by lifting my head up from the pillow too quickly. I was struggling to hear him whispering in my ear with all the packing in it but managed to repeat his words. I left the hospital after only one night, whereas for my original stapedectomy i was in for 3 nights such was my dizziness.
I have mild dizziness still 5 weeks after the operation, again only when i move my head around quickly...so i try to avoid this.
Upon removing the packing, i didnt get the wow factor that i first experienced with the first stapedectomy. I still havent experienced the wow factor of sudden realisation of good hearing in my left ear. I do suffer from inner ear otosclerosis which means my hearing will never be 100% in that ear.
However after I did my hearing test 2 weeks ago, my surgeon did not believe the results. The results showed a 50db loss in the left ear, which was an improvement prior to the revision operation, but he expected it to be at only the 30db level, which was what it was at after the first operation. He expected it only the 30db loss level as after the packing was removed i was again able to repeat words whispered by him in my left ear. He believes anything less than a 30db loss, then i would not have been able to repeat his words. So his opinion conflicted with the hearing results, however during the hearing test i did have noise submitted into my right ear headphone which to me makes a difference.
I have commited myself to refrain from sport until after xmas. Last time i believe my sporting activities was a contributing factor to my stape slipping, as i am quite active and played soccer throughout the year which entailed heading a soccer ball quite a few times.
I am disappointed with the results so far, hopefully it will improve if there is more silicon packing in the middle ear that is to disintegrate over time.
Regards,
Eamonn

Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
(male)

CvilleGuy HB User

I have had bilateral stapendectomy. Left ear in 1992 and right in 1994. Hearing in left ear has noticably degraded over the past couple of years. I am scheduling an appointment to see what can be done. I am glad to hear about the revision surgery and I'm ready. I work with people and it is getting diffucult to communication with those breathy talkers.

Are there considerations beyond those of the first stapendectomy?

Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
(female)

Beachliving HB User

Yes. I just recently had my right ear done and I am now deaf in that ear with no chance of getting my hearing back. They say that 1% will have a perm loss after a stapedectomy and that would be me. I had my left done in August and it is great thus far and can only hope that it will be good forever because I will not be doing the surgery again after what happened to my right ear. I cannot run the risk of being completely deaf in both ears and not even be able to wear a hearing aid to help. If you want more details just let me know. The recovery from the surgery (the one that went bad) was just awful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beachliving For This Useful Post:
della7200 (07-15-2012)
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
(female)

TaniaHop HB User

Beachliving, we *DEFINITELY* want details. So sorry to hear that you have had such a terrible response. Hope you are coping ok. Please let us all know what is going on.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
(female)

niteskylover HB User

oh man, i hope that doesnt happen! I had it done in one ear in oct of 09 and i'm counting on it lasting forever!! My other ear seems ok and i'm not sure i'd do it again anyway, even though surgery went perfectly well, no complications or pain and an easy recovery...i'm just a wuss!! Doctor did say it could slip off and he'd have to go back and fix it, but that if that were to happen (prosthesis slipping off the bone) it would happen in the first year or not at all. I guess everyone is different?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
(female)

dick6603 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplishka View Post
I had a double stapedectomy back in I think about 1999. It now appear that my hearing isn't so great as it was before. Has anyone had one and had to have it done again or anything like that?
Paula
I had the surgery 2 years ago and i just started having problems my ear hurts and my hearing is bad again,with ringing in the ear again.I have an appt.with Dr. today .

Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
(male)

nothearinghwell HB User

jesus sounds to me like a bunch of horror stories, anyone acually come out of this good?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
(female)

pplishka HB User

It isn't a horror story. I would go back and do it again. My hearing is still okay, just not quite as good (at least I don't think so but that may be in my head..no pun intended) as when I first had it done and by no means as bad as before I had it done. I was less than 20% hearing in both ears...I went to almoet 100% after the surgery. My ENT doc was fabulous. Took very much care and was meticulous to not touch or damage the facial or taste nerve which I hear is very common practice with this type of surgery. He even "cushioned" the stainless steel prosthesis just in case I had to fly in an emergency as you aren't supposed to fly for a while after having it done. I didn't, but it was nice to know I could if I absolutely had to.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
(male)

narenabi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplishka View Post
Paula
I underwent Stapedectomy on 4th May 2010,I still have mild dizziness and I cannot actively involve in my work.The ear seemed to be packed up fully and I can hear very very feebly.I am a teacher .I can hear my own voice and there is too much of echoing when the students give chorous answer.The doctor says that the gel pack has to be absorbed. When I will hear normally.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #15
(female)

niteskylover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenabi View Post
I underwent Stapedectomy on 4th May 2010,I still have mild dizziness and I cannot actively involve in my work.The ear seemed to be packed up fully and I can hear very very feebly.I am a teacher .I can hear my own voice and there is too much of echoing when the students give chorous answer.The doctor says that the gel pack has to be absorbed. When I will hear normally.
Hi Narenabi,

Closed Thread