It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
(male)

0311Dog HB User
Help! Audiology question regarding Federal Law Enforcement job

Dear Health Boards,

I have a serious situation that I am very worried about and would like some advice on how to proceed. Before I get to the crux of my question, let me give some background: I'm a former Marine, with a combat tour to Iraq as a machinegunner. Between my time in the Marine Corps, on live fire ranges and duty in Iraq, it appears I sustained some hearing loss in my left ear.

Currently, I am well along in the application process for a federal law enforcement job. I have been in the process for well over a year, succesfully completed the various interviews, polygraph, physical tests, and going through the background. One of the last hurdles is medical exam. I'm in perfect health except apparently for my hearing. I recently had a medical exam for the agency Im applying to and was told I need to do a follow up with an audiologist because of the results of my hearing test. The hearing standards for the agency I'm applying to are stated below:

An applicant must not surpass any of the following criteria:

a) average hearing loss of 25 decibels (ANSI) at 1000, 2000, and 3000 Hertz
b) single reading of 35 decibels at 1000, 2000, and 3000 Hertz
c) single reading of 35 decibels at 500 Hertz
d) single reading of 45 decibels at 4000 Hertz

My first question is: If I'm reading the chart correctly, I have hearing loss of 40 db in my left ear at 3000 Hz. Is that correct? If this is correct, then this would be a disqualifier.

My second question is: I've been told to see a private audiologist for an audiological exam. Is there anyway to improve my hearing slightly to get it to within standards? Would the right audiologist have the ability to conduct the test in such a manner that would 'give the benefit of the doubt' for those 5 db?

Please provide any input you may have. My hearing is fine - I have no problems in my day to day activities. If I were to lose out on this career for something like this it would truly be devastating. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-02-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
(male)

mikek HB User
Re: Help! Audiology question regarding Federal Law Enforcement job

I had hearing loss from my time in the Infantry, had to pass hearing tests when I became a helo pilot. A trick pilots used was to wear an earplug in the bad ear for a couple days and take it out right before the test. Also, I could be totally wrong, but Prednisone (sp) might give a temporary boost. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
(male)

0311Dog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
I had hearing loss from my time in the Infantry, had to pass hearing tests when I became a helo pilot. A trick pilots used was to wear an earplug in the bad ear for a couple days and take it out right before the test. Also, I could be totally wrong, but Prednisone (sp) might give a temporary boost. Good luck!
Good info, thanks. I found an audiologist that was former military and understood my problem. He re-administered the test and I tested where I needed to be.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
(male)

BillVet4909 HB User

just have to go through the test and things the send you through, hope you do better than me, i went through the whole mess for the same FED LEO job and was devastated when i was turned down......I think as a last you can ask for a waiver? I am in another Fed Police job now.....good luck...dont give up.....Bill

Closed Thread