It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
(male)

Adrianalimafan HB User
Prednisone for sudden hearing loss not working after 5 days (17 yrs. old)

hi, so im 17 and i've had on and off hearing loss in my left ear. I went to the ENT and he ordered a blood test and ad MRI on the auditory canals and the brain. He also prescribed Prednisone for 7 days then i would taper off it. Along with Prednisone he also gave me Valtrex.

Yesterday when i went off to my driving lesson I had the windows rolled down and i noticed that when the wind blows on my left ear it sounds like when you hit the drums very lightly. I cant really explain it. Either way does anyone know if this hearing problem could be caused by something else other than any nerve? I remember 3 years ago i jumped off a trampoline and fell on my left ear towards the water which hurt quite a bit.

Last edited by Adrianalimafan; 11-15-2009 at 08:51 AM.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
(female)

calimomma HB User
Re: Prednisone for sudden hearing loss not working after 5 days (17 yrs. old)

Have you been to an audiologist and do you know if your loss is conductive or sensory? An audiogram should be able to tell you which type of loss that you have. Sensory loss involves nerves, conductive loss usually involves something in the middle ear, like bones. Sometimes the bones can be fixed via surgery, or bypassed with a hearing aid. Some people have a mixed type of loss.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
(male)

Adrianalimafan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimomma View Post
Have you been to an audiologist and do you know if your loss is conductive or sensory? An audiogram should be able to tell you which type of loss that you have. Sensory loss involves nerves, conductive loss usually involves something in the middle ear, like bones. Sometimes the bones can be fixed via surgery, or bypassed with a hearing aid. Some people have a mixed type of loss.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply! I feel so lost right now. Either way i did go to the Audiologist and she did a hearing test, not sure if its the same as an audiogram. After that the doctor came in to see me but he seemed kind of lost on the problem. He couldn't really explain it. He just prescribed the drugs and the MRI. At the end he told me that it could take some time to figure this out.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
(male)

Adrianalimafan HB User

Also whenever i shake my head, in my left ear the affected ear, i hear a thump every time i shake my head. Is this normal?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
(male)

Adrianalimafan HB User

So I had my MRI done and a New York Neurotologist saw the results and she told me she believes it is not nerve damage but conductive hearing loss which she thinks is repairable. She told me to get a CAT scan to see if i have a fractured bone in the ear and then from there surgery would follow.

The prednisone did not help at all and neither did the Valtrex, i guess because it isn't nerve related.

Closed Thread