It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

nikobell10 HB User
humming in my ear

I started to have humming in my ear. It sounds like a car engine. I hear it at night when I am in bed. I have always have a little ringing in my ear. Also, I have been under some stress.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
(male)

soundboy HB User
Re: humming in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikobell10 View Post
I started to have humming in my ear. It sounds like a car engine. I hear it at night when I am in bed. I have always have a little ringing in my ear. Also, I have been under some stress.
Probably best to go and get a hearing test. Even if it's nothing serious now it may help if you have any hearing problems in the future.

Also if you're around any loud machinery or noise at work, remember to wear ear plugs or muffs.

Stimulants such as nicotine and caffeine can aggrave ringing in your ears. Maybe try cut down on coffee or smoking if you do and see how it is.

Hope this helps, good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
(female)

Beachliving HB User

Sounds like your tinnitus is acting up and getting worse. Mine comes and goes and is worse at night for some reason too.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
(female)

deafcyborg HB User

It's tinnitus. I too experience tinnitus when I'm in bed. I only first noticed my tinnitus when I was around 16 years old. I am profoundly deaf and did not know what it was. My tinnitus comes in a form of droning or beeping

Tinnitus can be perceived in one or both ears or in the head. It is usually described as a ringing noise, but in some patients it takes the form of a high pitched whining, buzzing, hissing, screaming, humming, tinging or whistling sound, or as ticking, clicking, roaring, "crickets" or "tree frogs" or "locusts," tunes, songs, beeping, or even a pure steady tone like heard in a hearing test.[5] It has also been described as a "wooshing" sound, as of wind or waves.[6] Tinnitus can be intermittent or it can be continuous in which case it can be the cause of great distress. In some individuals, the intensity of tinnitus can be changed by shoulder, head, tongue, jaw, or eye movements.[7]
Most people with tinnitus have hearing loss,[8] in that they are often unable to properly hear external sounds which occur within the same range of frequencies as their "phantom sounds." [9] This has led to the suggestion that one cause of tinnitus might be a homeostatic response of central dorsal cochlear nucleus auditory neurons that makes them hyperactive in compensation to auditory input loss.[10]

Last edited by deafcyborg; 01-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
(female)

sylerin HB User

i've been having problems with my sleep. for the longest time i can remember, every now and then i get this humming in my ears like car engin starting farway, when this happen i get very resless. this humming it seems progress more and more. i really would like to know if this have something to do with the thairiod medication im taking... or is this something else.

Last edited by sylerin; 04-01-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: not totally done.

Closed Thread