It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Beachliving HB User
Permanent loss of hearing after Stapedectomy

I have been sharing posts with some of you regarding my recent experience of surgery. It is easier to explain it in one post rather than several.

I had stapedectomy surgery in my left ear in August 2008 and it went exceptionally well. The hearing in that ear is better than what was expected.

I had my right ear done in early November 2008 and knew right away that something was not right. I had the surgery on Thursday. By noon on Friday I had severe virtigo and could not eat or drink anything and could not keep down any medication. I could not move without physically getting sick. Sunday morning my husband took me to the emergency room where they hooked me to an IV to get fluids in me because I was becoming dehydrated and had not eaten since Thursday and I needed something to calm my nerves and stomache. I do not know if my ear was hurting during this time because of the virtigo and the subsequent other problems. The ER gave me drugs for my stomache, motion sickness and to help me sleep while the vertigo subsided on top of the meds from surgery.

Monday my husband carried me to the bathroom and bathed me as much as possible because I wanted my local ENT (not my surgeon - he is 3 hours away) to see me. He could not offer much other than to try and sleep it off. For the next 5 days I slept more than 20 hours a day. I would wake to take meds and eat crackers and go back to sleep. I could not even look around because I was literally seeing double and could not walk on my own anyway. I have never experienced anything like what I was going through.

By day 8 I was able to walk myself to the bathroom with the help of the furniture. I could bathe but it took forever because I could not move my head without getting sick. By the end of week one I made it off the couch and into the spare bedroom downstairs. By the end of week two, early into week three, I was finally able to walk upstairs to my own bedroom.

I was eating again into week two. Was still dizzy and I noticed that I could not hear anything from my ear. Not the crackling, popping, etc noises that are common after a stapedectomy.

I tried to go back to work on week 3 and they sent me home because I could not walk without staggering and needing the wall for support. In hindsight it was stupid for me to try and go back because driving was extremely difficult because I could not move my head without becoming disoriented.

I saw my local ENT during week 3 and 4 and the physical exam went ok. He saw no signs of problems but I had an ear infection. He put me on meds for the ear infection as well as more meds for my dizziness. Week 4 he gave me a hearing test and it resulted in what I had already been telling everyone - I DONT HEAR OUT OF THAT EAR.

I go back to my surgeon and he put me on steriods to try and help with the diziness and it was also an attempt to "preserve any hearing that may be left" in the ear. He did not do a hearing test because I had just been through one and the results showed that it was not a conductive loss anymore but a nerve loss which is permanent. The chances of a patient having permanent loss after surgery is 1% and I happened to be the 1%. They cannot explain it but he said that I probably had an inner ear infection before the surgery and opening the inner ear canal during the surgery furthered the infection and it goes from there.....

I have been back to my surgeon just recently and I am on steriods one last time. I still cannot move my head quickly (normal movement that we all take for granted) and will literally just lose my balance for no reason though thankfully that is not all that common. The hearing is gone. I started with about a 50% repairable loss before the surgery to a 98% irrepairable loss after. The only other option for me is to have a cochlear implant which I have absolutely no plans of doing unless my left ear goes bad. My left ear is doing all of the hearing for both and all I can do is hope that it continues to be this great forever. I will not have another stapedectomy because I run the risk of permanent loss in both ears. If someone is on my right, I literally do not hear them at all. Restaurants, bars, parties, etc are very difficult because my left ear just cannot keep up and process sound very well in noisy situations. I am very nervous the next time that I have a conference to go to. It is one thing to be with friends who understand and it is another to be in a situation where people don't know of your hearing loss and they look at you like you are either stupid or not paying attention when you do not respond. You can't walk around with a sign around your neck telling people that you are deaf in one ear and explain why you are staring at their mouth and reading lips. I really thought that those days were going to be over but for me they are not. I am back to reading lips in loud situations. Ugh!

I am blessed that I have my left ear, I am not forgetting that. There are people with worse problems, I know. But it is difficult knowing that you only have one good ear. If something goes wrong with the good one......It is always in the back of your mind.

If anyone has any specific questions, I will try and help. Good luck to everyone! This message board is such a great resource for all of us! Take care!

The following user gives a hug of support to Beachliving:
paul4488 (08-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
(female)

bunny01 HB User
Re: Permanent loss of hearing after Stapedectomy

I don't have a specific question for you - yet, but wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you've experienced the difficulties that you have. I've tried to read through as many posts as I can, and I am hard pressed to read one which shared such a terrible experience following such a positive one with the first stapedectomy. One would think that having experienced success with the first procedure with what sounds like no complications at all, you would have sailed right through. I wonder if anything was done differently or if the anatomy in your right ear is different? There are too many variables to consider, as I'm sure you know. At any rate, you sound like a very brave person and I wish you the best. How are you feeling now?

I had my procedure on the 2d of Feb. I think I was feeling a little cocky because I had NONE of the symptoms others described. A bit of vertigo on the 2d and 3d day, but that was it. I had no nausea, no vomitting, no pain. Here's the thing though. As silly as it sounds, I woke up post op day one still a bit groggy and blew my nose. As soon as I heard the pop I freaked out. I think I'm ok. Apparently, if you hum and it sounds relatively equal on both sides, it's alright. Yesterday I got in an argument with my daughter (teenager, go figure) and found myself yelling at the top of my lungs. After that, my ear started to hurt a bit. Not, much, but I can tell it's there. Here's the weird part, and I don't know if this is just a post op day 5 thing or what, but I can "hear" my foot steps in my surgery ear...I've read where people feel like they're in an echo chamber or a cave, or can hear their heartbeats, but footsteps??? Am I losing my mind (or my new stapes????)?

I do hope you're feeling better and I hope that something can be done to restore your hearing. I had such an ah-ha moment when you said what you did about people looking at you like you're stupid because they don't know you can't hear...It makes me sad. I feel like I'm missing so much. Still, your experience has made me appreciate my results (hoping I'm still intact) that much more.

Would you mind sharing what you experienced with your first procedure? I just don't know what to expect. Maybe I just need reassurance that I didn't mess it up. BTW, I did tell my doc, and she put me on steriods "just in case". I don't go back until Friday.

Hope you're well.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-09-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: please do not quote when you are the first to reply

Old 02-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Sorry to hear all you've gone through. It really sounds like it was rough.

I haven't had a Stapedectomy, but I've had single-sided deafness my entire life. I can really relate with you on the issues you are having in dealing with the social and work situations. I think that people often think I'm anti-social because I try to avoid large group situations if at all possible. I also frequently miss hearing things and have never been able to tell direction of sounds. While you get used to it, I don't think it is ever "easy". I try to tell people I interact with frequently that I have this problem, but they forget.

I found out this last summer that I now have a moderate hearing loss in my "good" ear. I've always been normal in that ear so this loss was really a blow. Hearing aids would help with the "good" ear and to funnel sound from my bad-good side, but with all the money I'm putting out for other health issues, I don't think I'll ever be able to save up the $4700 I need for the aids.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
(female)

Beachliving HB User

Hi bunny01. How are you feeling? How is your ear? Have you regained your hearing yet? I hope that you did not hurt anything by blowing your nose. Hard habit to break!

After my first stapedectomy I was great actually. I heard the day after the surgery then the next day my ear was very muffled and I was hearing cracking and popping in my ear which was very normal. Week 2 I was noticing a change, nothing I can speak of really but just different. I went to the doctor for my follow up and he cleaned the ear and it popped and I could hear!! I heard my own footsteps as I was walking to my car. I heard the left speaker. I heard birds. I heard how loud my car really is! ha! ha! It was great!! From there I still heard like a crackling noise "inside" my head and I learned that it was the packing that was disolving and that I would hear that for a couple of months. I was never dizzy or had any pain after the surgery. I was a little "off" but no virtigo or vomiting. That was it. There was nothing to it. My doctor said that I was to the extreme of good on the first and that my recovery was rare (how good it went) and that I was to the extreme of bad on the second. Very weird how opposite they were from each other. Two completely different experiences.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
(female)

Beachliving HB User

Hearing aids really should not be that much!!! What kind are you looking at purchasing? They sound like the absolute top of the line! You should be able to find a used one maybe?

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Hearing loss is very difficult in many different ways and people that don't have a loss really do not understand no matter how much they may want to.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-09-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: no free advertising - please read the posting rules

Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
(female)

bunny01 HB User

Hi Beachliving! Your first experience sounds like mine - pretty uneventful 'cept the whole nose blowing thing...
I go back to the doctor tomorrow. I think things are still good. In fact, I think I heard the car radio this morning but I couldn't really tell over the bionic road noise :-). I've been having crackling and minor popping since day one and now the packing stuff is starting to itch. I hope he takes it out tomorrow, but my guess is since it's that foamy stuff, he'll probably leave it in to absorb on it's own. That will leave me guessing even longer if my hearing is restored. Not that I'm whining - I'm grateful to have what muffled hearing I do have...

How are you feeling these days?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
(female)

rosemary123 HB User

Dear Beachliving,

I have a story VERY similar to yours. I've just been through my last surgery in April 2009, which left me permanently deaf in my right ear. I came across your posts when I was googling questions about my surgery and hearing loss. I joined this sight in hopes we might be able to < edited> exchange stories. I am struggling alot with my ear and I'm hoping talking to someone who's been through it might help. < edited > Thank you.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-12-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Please don't post personal info such as real name, email or phone.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #8
(male)

cgeorgeklm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachliving View Post
I have been sharing posts with some of you regarding my recent experience of surgery. It is easier to explain it in one post rather than several.

I had stapedectomy surgery in my left ear in August 2008 and it went exceptionally well. The hearing in that ear is better than what was expected.

I had my right ear done in early November 2008 and knew right away that something was not right. I had the surgery on Thursday. By noon on Friday I had severe virtigo and could not eat or drink anything and could not keep down any medication. I could not move without physically getting sick. Sunday morning my husband took me to the emergency room where they hooked me to an IV to get fluids in me because I was becoming dehydrated and had not eaten since Thursday and I needed something to calm my nerves and stomache. I do not know if my ear was hurting during this time because of the virtigo and the subsequent other problems. The ER gave me drugs for my stomache, motion sickness and to help me sleep while the vertigo subsided on top of the meds from surgery.

Monday my husband carried me to the bathroom and bathed me as much as possible because I wanted my local ENT (not my surgeon - he is 3 hours away) to see me. He could not offer much other than to try and sleep it off. For the next 5 days I slept more than 20 hours a day. I would wake to take meds and eat crackers and go back to sleep. I could not even look around because I was literally seeing double and could not walk on my own anyway. I have never experienced anything like what I was going through.

By day 8 I was able to walk myself to the bathroom with the help of the furniture. I could bathe but it took forever because I could not move my head without getting sick. By the end of week one I made it off the couch and into the spare bedroom downstairs. By the end of week two, early into week three, I was finally able to walk upstairs to my own bedroom.

I was eating again into week two. Was still dizzy and I noticed that I could not hear anything from my ear. Not the crackling, popping, etc noises that are common after a stapedectomy.

I tried to go back to work on week 3 and they sent me home because I could not walk without staggering and needing the wall for support. In hindsight it was stupid for me to try and go back because driving was extremely difficult because I could not move my head without becoming disoriented.

I saw my local ENT during week 3 and 4 and the physical exam went ok. He saw no signs of problems but I had an ear infection. He put me on meds for the ear infection as well as more meds for my dizziness. Week 4 he gave me a hearing test and it resulted in what I had already been telling everyone - I DONT HEAR OUT OF THAT EAR.

I go back to my surgeon and he put me on steriods to try and help with the diziness and it was also an attempt to "preserve any hearing that may be left" in the ear. He did not do a hearing test because I had just been through one and the results showed that it was not a conductive loss anymore but a nerve loss which is permanent. The chances of a patient having permanent loss after surgery is 1% and I happened to be the 1%. They cannot explain it but he said that I probably had an inner ear infection before the surgery and opening the inner ear canal during the surgery furthered the infection and it goes from there.....

I have been back to my surgeon just recently and I am on steriods one last time. I still cannot move my head quickly (normal movement that we all take for granted) and will literally just lose my balance for no reason though thankfully that is not all that common. The hearing is gone. I started with about a 50% repairable loss before the surgery to a 98% irrepairable loss after. The only other option for me is to have a cochlear implant which I have absolutely no plans of doing unless my left ear goes bad. My left ear is doing all of the hearing for both and all I can do is hope that it continues to be this great forever. I will not have another stapedectomy because I run the risk of permanent loss in both ears. If someone is on my right, I literally do not hear them at all. Restaurants, bars, parties, etc are very difficult because my left ear just cannot keep up and process sound very well in noisy situations. I am very nervous the next time that I have a conference to go to. It is one thing to be with friends who understand and it is another to be in a situation where people don't know of your hearing loss and they look at you like you are either stupid or not paying attention when you do not respond. You can't walk around with a sign around your neck telling people that you are deaf in one ear and explain why you are staring at their mouth and reading lips. I really thought that those days were going to be over but for me they are not. I am back to reading lips in loud situations. Ugh!

I am blessed that I have my left ear, I am not forgetting that. There are people with worse problems, I know. But it is difficult knowing that you only have one good ear. If something goes wrong with the good one......It is always in the back of your mind.

If anyone has any specific questions, I will try and help. Good luck to everyone! This message board is such a great resource for all of us! Take care!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #9
(male)

cgeorgeklm HB User

I had a stapedectomy surgery in my right year in February 1982 at age of 25 in Kuwait government hospital and lost hearing to the right year completely, now what I am hearing is only with the help of left ear. I am now 52 years old, is with one another operation, is it possible to get my hearing back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachliving View Post

Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
(female)

easden HB User

I am so sorry to read about your failed surgery. When you are feeling better check out the Shea Ear Clinic in Memphis TN. They are suppose to be very good, and the do corrective surgery when all else has failed.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
(female)

australiagirl HB User

Hi

Just wondering whether "BEACHLIVING" is still active.

I am 37 days post stapedectomy & was advised yesterday by an Audiologist that I now have permanent cochlear (sensory) nerve damage from the surgery and I'm now deaf in that ear.

My surgeon is currently on holidays (until 18 January 2011) so I'm unable to speak to him. I desperately want to believe the Audiologist is wrong & that my ear is still healing. It's still quite swollen & totally blocked. It vibrates deep in my ear when there is a loud sound but the noise sounds like it's gone through a synthesizer.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #12
(female)

rosemary123 HB User

Dear Austraila girl,

This exact same thing has happened to me. I am 22 years old, and it happened when I was 20. I'm sorry to say that I am now permanently deaf in one ear. Once there is nerve damage, the hearing never returns. Hearing aids are not even able to help.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
(female)

australiagirl HB User

Hey Rosemary

Thanks for your reply.

I'm so sorry to hear your surgery was not successful, it's a terrible outcome, especially with you being so young.

I have another thread going on this board also, & it fully explains my story.

Do you mind if I ask whether you had a synthesized/squeaky/high pitched sound coming through your ear? The Audiologist told me this indicates cochlear damage (from the surgery) as although I can hear sounds, the cochlear can't decipher the words.

The outside of my ear & incision is still quite swollen so I'm guessing the inside must be very swollen. It feels very full & puffed-up inside. I'm just hoping swelling/fluid are causing this crazy sound problem.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

All the best with your hearing. Hopefully new technology will come along & help you get your hearing back.

Thanks, Teesha

Old 01-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
(female)

rosemary123 HB User

Dear Austraila girl,

I was put on steroids due to the fact that my surgeon and audiologist could not believe the fact that I went from about 20% hearing loss before surgery to 100% hearing loss. Steroids didn't help of course since it wasn't due to inflammation, the surgery had caused permanent nerve damage. Hopefully yours is just due to inflammation. To answer your question about the noises you're hearing, I would describe what I heard after surgery as a radio static noise. I still hear it every now and then but it's not as loud as it was right after surgery. I wanted to ask you if you had any vertigo or nausea/vomiting after surgery?

Thank you for your feedback,
Angelina

Old 01-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
(female)

australiagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary123 View Post
Dear Austraila girl,

I was put on steroids due to the fact that my surgeon and audiologist could not believe the fact that I went from about 20% hearing loss before surgery to 100% hearing loss. Steroids didn't help of course since it wasn't due to inflammation, the surgery had caused permanent nerve damage. Hopefully yours is just due to inflammation. To answer your question about the noises you're hearing, I would describe what I heard after surgery as a radio static noise. I still hear it every now and then but it's not as loud as it was right after surgery. I wanted to ask you if you had any vertigo or nausea/vomiting after surgery?

Thank you for your feedback,
Angelina
Hi Angela

The noises I'm hearing could also be described as radio static, I suppose I'll just have to wait until my surgeon returns from holidays & see what he thinks.

In regards to your question about vertigo, yes I did experience vertigo. I considered it to be quite bad for the first couple of days although after reading some peoples posts (on these boards), mine was no-where near as extreme as some. I needed help to walk the first day or two then on the following couple of days I only needed assistance with rising from bed/seat etc.. It was still mildly there when walking or laying back in bed for about 2 weeks and I still get it now (38 days post-op) when walking up or down stairs or when I bend forward. Stairs make me feel like I'm floating. Also the past couple of days I've noticed that I get a big headspin when I put the vaseline cotton ball in my ear before showering. It feels like my eardrum may burst even though the cotton ball is only slightly in the ear.

Thankfully I had no vomiting & only very mild nausea a couple of times.

The only thing I experienced that seems unusual was straight after surgery, I had excessive drainage. I had a full head bandage around my head covering the ear (the surgeon advised me prior to surgery the full bandage would be there upon waking) however while I still had the bandage on approximately 5 hours after surgery, three quarters of the pillow was covered in blood/fluid (which was very alarming considering that amount had seeped out of the tight bandage). The nurse said that happens occassionally. I was then given an IV steroid for about an hour.

I stayed in hospital 2 nights and the surgeon saw me several times during my stay & advised the op was successful. I just wonder whether all that bleeding/fluid has something to do with my current situation.

Good luck with everything.
Teesha

Closed Thread