It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
(female)

lindkaye3 HB User
Awake or Asleep - Question for Stapedectomy

Background - I had first stapedectomy on right ear 20+ years ago - everything was great, hearing back, no problems after surgery, etc. During last couple years I have come down with MS and have been undergoing MRI's every 3-5 months. Well, hearing is way down on this ear now - never thought about the device because it was done so long ago. I have constant pressure sound in my ear, dizzyiness and the hearing loss so ENT states must go back in. He stated main reason is to replace the old stainless steel stapes with a ne, none-steel one. He believes the MRI has wiggled the stapes loose. He has explained I may not regain the hearing loss I already have experienced, but he feels if I don't have the surgery, I could loose 100% of the hearing from the device being loose. He has explained I could loose all the hearing from the surgery, facial nerve damage, all the 1% things that could happen. But I realize I must have this done as I have to keep having MRI's due to the MS.. I had the other ear done 1 year after the 1st one and so far its staying good. He does not want to talk about replacing it until we see how this one does.
Main question is how many have you been awake for this? He stated he would prefer me to have just a local. I cannot imagine someone working on my ear as I am lying there. Call me a chicken, but I just dont think I can do it! I realize they give you a minor sedative, but still, I just dont think I can do this. I have had many surgeries unfortunately over the past years and have had a few not pleasant experiences that have occured during these so I think this is where its coming from. He did state he does have some patients be put asleep totally (ga) and he would do this. Can anyone give me their experiences of having this done under a local and I will see how brave I can become! Thanks for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
(female)

hearing Sue HB User
Re: Awake or Asleep - Question for Stapedectomy

I was awake for both of mine, and honestly you can't tell they are working on your ear, except for the noises during surgery, but nothing else. I was totally fine. They do put you to sleep for a few minutes to numb the ear. How many of these surgeries does your doctor do? I would be more concern abou that, than anything else.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
(male)

deafleopard HB User

This post got my attention because I just had a Stapedectomy in January.
It turned out very well and I can hear great now out of the operated ear.
I am scheduled to have an MRI in May on my head to look at my pituitary
gland and now I don't want to do it. I had Titanium stapes replacement which I am told is non magnetic but I am worried it will be vibrated loose from the MRI anyway. If you were me would you do this MRI??

Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
(female)

hearing Sue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafleopard View Post
This post got my attention because I just had a Stapedectomy in January.
It turned out very well and I can hear great now out of the operated ear.
I am scheduled to have an MRI in May on my head to look at my pituitary
gland and now I don't want to do it. I had Titanium stapes replacement which I am told is non magnetic but I am worried it will be vibrated loose from the MRI anyway. If you were me would you do this MRI??

Thanks for the advice.
You should've gotten an MRI card showing info about your prostethisis. Now a days they are safe for MRI, and most titanium rods are clamp on real tight too. the one I have he told me is some some sort of self sealing clamp and it doesnt' move at all. Mine is titanium too. I never had an MRI though, but I have a card about it just in case. Just ask your doctor about it and see what he says about the MRI.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
(male)

deafleopard HB User

Thanks for the information. I will certainly ask my doctor about my upcoming
MRI. I have had poor hearing for 15years and now that I can hear again it has literally changed my life. I do not want to back to that place ever again.
It got to the point I almost couldn't function at my job. I just hope this operation stays good for 20+years.

Cliff

Closed Thread