It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Suddenly, one of my ears started ringing very loudly

...and six days later, my left ear is still ringing very loudly. It all started about a week ago when I was getting ready to go to bed, when suddenly the ringing began in just my left ear. Mind you, I have always had mild tinnitus ever since I dislocated my jaw due to a food accident 2.5 years ago and was diagnosed with TMJ, but this particular ringing is not your average tinnutis ringing/humming/buzzing - more than anything, it sounds like a very high pitched handheld vacuum is being run inside my ear 24/7, and due to that my hearing is also mildly diminished and distorted.

Does anyone know what I might be experiencing? Could it simply be the worsening of my tinnitus, or did I have to have caused any specific new damage in order for my tinnitus to get worse? Could it be a middle ear infection? Could it be a sinus infection or sinusitis? Could it be the start of Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL)? Can someone please help me by giving some advice?

I am otherwise a very healthy individual, do not drink, do not do drugs, do not take any prescription medicine, and do no eat junk food. I am also active and athletic and exercise on an occasional basis. However, I am completely agonized and in despair due to this problem, and cannot seem to easily cope with the new ringing in my left ear... it is simply too loud and too distracting to be living life normally.

Last edited by ctrl-alt-del; 08-29-2010 at 08:37 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ctrl-alt-del:
Daniiella (12-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to ctrl-alt-del For This Useful Post:
Daniiella (12-18-2011)
Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Re: Suddenly, one of my ears started ringing very loudly

Anyone?

Can tinnitus just "flare" up like this or is this something completely different, such as my TMJ causing the closing of my ear tubes and the muscle spasms? If this is just a standard tinnitus flare up, then I can live with that... cause it should subside. But I've never had anything like this happen before, and I do not know what to expect now. Someone who has more tinnitus experience would be able to help. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
(female)

I Jones HB User

I don't want to worry you, but a few months ago I suddenly started getting ringing in one ear, which I thought was just me getting old and deaf. Then next time I had my blood pressure taken it was found to have suddenly shot up. I still am not sure if there is any connection other than in my imagination, but I seem to be getting less tinnitus since my BP has been better controlled.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User

Thanks I Jones - I will get a blood pressure check done. I am otherwise a very healthy individual (24yrs old) and active. But I will check my BP anyway.

And just wanting to give an update - the ringing in my left ear is still persistent, and at the same intensity as it happened about 10 days ago. I am actually starting to get worried... because I am not sure if I will end up this way, with my left ear ringing so loudly my whole life and affecting my hearing and performance in life.

The following user gives a hug of support to ctrl-alt-del:
Daniiella (12-18-2011)
Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
(male)

dieselnich HB User

I have the high pitched vacuum in both ears. Experts tested me with 20db to much hearing but with the noise. Blood flow increaseing remedies makes it louder. I'm researching about nerve damages and repairs since i have had 2 wiplashes. The chiropracter treatments have generally helped everything except reducing the noise much.

Closed Thread