It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

dkubiak HB User
Sudden Hearing Loss

Thank you for your interest in my hearing loss issue.
I had experienced "ringing" in my right ear for several weeks. About three weeks ago I awoke, realizing that my hearing was deminished in my right ear. Ear flushing at the doctor's office did not help. Visited an ENT. The doctor conducted an MRI to insure there was no tumor. I was directed to take steroids for 18 days. Still no improvement in hearing. That was all the doctor could do. She indicated that my hearing would probably not change but that I should return in 6 months.
Unable to accept this diagnosis, I began to recall my visits to the dentist. I have had extensive dental work (upper and lower) on the back molars on the right side - same side as the hearing loss. The "ringing" started after my initial visit to the dentist. I'm certain that there is a connection to the novicane used and my sudden hearing loss.
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
(male)

CCUnurrse HB User
Re: Sudden Hearing Loss

Hi dkubiak-five days ago I was talking to my wife on the phone when I realized her voice was cutting out on my L ear-I then switched to my R ear-and heard her perfectly. Thinking my L ear had wax in it I used a waterpick mixed with water and hydrogen peroxide to clan it-I've done this to pt's as a medical assistant and have been doing this for years to myself with great success. However this time not much wax came out and my hearing was greatly diminished. The next morning I was hoping it would get better-it didn't not only did I lose more hearing but I also got this horrible ringing in my ear(tinnitus). I went to E.R.-big mistake-they told me it was probably related to sinus and to take decongestants-I did this-no results. I then went to see my primary physician-who used one of those tuning forks on my head-I found that my good ear heard it fine-my bad ear didn't. Not understanding what that was for I did some research and he was checking me to see what part of my ear was malfunctioning-It appears to be sensoneural(inner ear). He then is referring me to an ENT. meantime me as a critical care RN went back to work-this was very difficult sense I found the ringing in my ear overwhelmed my good ear to where I couldn't hear my pt's lungs or heat-so I called my primary physician again and told him I need a stat MRI so I know if I have to get off work or not--your right-this ear problem is frightening,has given me three panic attacks and palpitations in my heart from fealing clostrophobic. The MD ordered the MRI stat and will be calling me for a date. I am assuming I have that tumor on the audio canal nerve-however I always do look for the worst in things but I do have the classic symptoms except the vertigo. I am currently taking prednisone and will try vit E but I am highly pesstimistic of it working. The way I see it is this is either viral or tumor-50/50 odds. I will keep everyone informed on my findings-personally going deaf in this L ear and get rid of this horrible tinnitus would be a dream come true-I did some research on the treatment for this tumor-and tinnitus-I think I 'd rather have a CABG.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

chiklit238 HB User

I'm relieved to find that I'm not the only one to be incredibly frustrated by SSHL! My loss started when I noticed I couldn't hear the different tones on a touch-tone phone, but only in my left ear. I scheduled an appt. w/ an ENT immediatley. The office was great, they have a full audiologist set up on site and so they tested my hearing. Yep... not good. I'd lost about 80 decibles in the space of what was probably a few hours or two days. My ENT was cautious but also consoling. He ordered an MRI for the next day and started me on the first round of Prednisone (60mg a day on a tapering dose down to 5mg a day). The MRI results came back within 48 hours and the results were negative (no tumors or strokes). Good, but frustrating. Over the two weeks that I was on the Prednisone, I thought the hearing was getting better, but wasn't sure.

My next appointment with the ENT was two days before the end of the Prednisone cycle. He tested my hearing again and lo and behold, I was nearly back into the normal range, the very high and very low tones were just barely out of normal range! This was WONDERFUL news! We agreed to finish out the Prednisone and hope for the best, but he scheduled a follow up four weeks out, just in case. Well... two days after the end of the Prednisone cycle, not only was the hearing back down, but I noticed a CONSTANT ringing (tinnitus). My heart sank... what if it didn't come back again and what if the tinnitus was permanent? I called the ENT and he called in another rx for Prednisone (a shorter 1 week treatment but at a higher dosage).

I can tell you that during this round of Prednisone, I was paying much closer attention to the hearing. I was getting a bit scared after 4 days and no improvement, but on day 5, the tones on the phone were back to normal and the tinnitus was improving. I was to the point with the tinnitus that I didn't really notice it unless I was paying very close attention to that ear. Well, here I am two days after the end of the second round of Prednisone and my hearing is dropping again. Not as bad as before, but it is certainly not where it was. The tinnitus is still around but not as noticable. I have my appointment with my ENT again in a week. But, I think I'm going to call again to see if he will refill the rx for the third time. Also, after reading these threads, I think I'm going to start taking a vitamin E supplement, to see if that helps with the tinnitus.

The good news in my case is that I saw my ENT and started the Prednisone treatment almost immediately. Also, my ENT says that it is a wonderful sign that I got ANY hearing back at all. That indicates that this is probably a virus and something I just need to wait out and fight off with the help of steroids. Here's hoping he's right! I'll keep you posted. Good luck to everyone else and my sympathies. This experience has been SO frustrating!

Last edited by chiklit238; 12-15-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
(male)

CBT01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklit238 View Post
I'm relieved to find that I'm not the only one to be incredibly frustrated by SSHL! My loss started when I noticed I couldn't hear the different tones on a touch-tone phone, but only in my left ear. I scheduled an appt. w/ an ENT immediatley. The office was great, they have a full audiologist set up on site and so they tested my hearing. Yep... not good. I'd lost about 80 decibles in the space of what was probably a few hours or two days. My ENT was cautious but also consoling. He ordered an MRI for the next day and started me on the first round of Prednisone (60mg a day on a tapering dose down to 5mg a day). The MRI results came back within 48 hours and the results were negative (no tumors or strokes). Good, but frustrating. Over the two weeks that I was on the Prednisone, I thought the hearing was getting better, but wasn't sure.

My next appointment with the ENT was two days before the end of the Prednisone cycle. He tested my hearing again and lo and behold, I was nearly back into the normal range, the very high and very low tones were just barely out of normal range! This was WONDERFUL news! We agreed to finish out the Prednisone and hope for the best, but he scheduled a follow up four weeks out, just in case. Well... two days after the end of the Prednisone cycle, not only was the hearing back down, but I noticed a CONSTANT ringing (tinnitus). My heart sank... what if it didn't come back again and what if the tinnitus was permanent? I called the ENT and he called in another rx for Prednisone (a shorter 1 week treatment but at a higher dosage).

I can tell you that during this round of Prednisone, I was paying much closer attention to the hearing. I was getting a bit scared after 4 days and no improvement, but on day 5, the tones on the phone were back to normal and the tinnitus was improving. I was to the point with the tinnitus that I didn't really notice it unless I was paying very close attention to that ear. Well, here I am two days after the end of the second round of Prednisone and my hearing is dropping again. Not as bad as before, but it is certainly not where it was. The tinnitus is still around but not as noticable. I have my appointment with my ENT again in a week. But, I think I'm going to call again to see if he will refill the rx for the third time. Also, after reading these threads, I think I'm going to start taking a vitamin E supplement, to see if that helps with the tinnitus.

The good news in my case is that I saw my ENT and started the Prednisone treatment almost immediately. Also, my ENT says that it is a wonderful sign that I got ANY hearing back at all. That indicates that this is probably a virus and something I just need to wait out and fight off with the help of steroids. Here's hoping he's right! I'll keep you posted. Good luck to everyone else and my sympathies. This experience has been SO frustrating!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
(male)

CBT01 HB User

Just wanted to see how you are making out. I woke up 5 days ago with little to no hearing in my right hear. My ENT has put me on prednisone for 12 days and he issued an MRI which I do not have the results from yet. It is a lack of hearing but at the same time all sounds are amplified. I also started vitamin E today but as time goes on it gets a little more discouraging with each day. Hopefully there will be some light soon, I wonder if intervinous steroids are more effective? I want to stay very aggressive with this if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Closed Thread