It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
(male)

mizzou88 HB User
Surgeon recommendation in Columbia, MO (Stapedectomy)

I would like to get a second opinion on (Stapedectomy/Ossicular Chain Reconstruction) surgery, which my first doctor recommended. Does anyone have any recommendations on a very good and experienced surgeon in Columbia, Missouri ? Itís a big decision and like everyone else, you want the best available.

Thanks for your time

Last edited by mizzou88; 12-18-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
(female)

australiagirl HB User
Re: Surgeon recommendation in Columbia, MO (Stapedectomy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou88 View Post
I would like to get a second opinion on (Stapedectomy/Ossicular Chain Reconstruction) surgery, which my first doctor recommended. Does anyone have any recommendations on a very good and experienced surgeon in Columbia, Missouri ? Itís a big decision and like everyone else, you want the best available.

Thanks for your time
Hi

You may have already made a decision regarding your stapedectomy however I think it's important to be aware that there are lots of risks involved with this surgery.

You can click on my name & read all my posts if you're interested but a very short version of my experience following stapes surgery is I have gone totally deaf (from the surgery), I've developed a perilymphatic fistula which my surgeon hopes may heal by itself within 6 months but will operate if not healed in that timeframe, roaring/screeching tinitus, constant vertigo, several hospital admissions & numerous other symptoms. Prior to surgery I had moderate conductive hearing loss with no nerve damage at all...post surgery I have total irreversable nerve damage to the cochlear which means hearing aids are now not even an option. I've had to give up work & have barely been able to leave the house since my surgery (which was eleven weeks ago).

I put up with hearing loss for many years prior to my surgery, I was too vain to consider a hearing aid. After what I've been through with stapes surgery, I would give anything to turn back the clock & opt for that hearing aid.

My surgeon is one of Australia's best & most experienced neurotologists (ear/head surgeons), he is as devastated about my complications as I am & I know it was nothing he did wrong during surgery. Sometimes things go wrong with this surgery regardless of how wonderful the surgeon is.

My unoperated ear also has otosclerosis & I can never have surgery on it because of the complications I've had with my other ear.

I know this surgery is truly wonderful when everything goes as planned but sometimes things do go wrong & I think it's important to really weigh up the risks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread