It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
(male)

StudentRyan HB User
Post-Op Stapedectomy Expectations

Hi everyone, hope you can answer my questions.

I'm scheduled to have surgery Feb 10th 2011 (a Thursday morning). I am a college student who will need to be back in class on Monday morning, so I have the weekend to rest at home.
Will this be enough time?
Also, do you think I will be able to drive the 2.5 hours from my home to college Sunday afternoon?

I will have to go back to the doctor the following Friday to get the packing taken out. I was wondering if this packing is visible from the outside? I hadn't planned on telling anyone about the surgery but don't want them to ask questions upon seeing the packing.

Also, I'm getting really nervous after reading the posts on this website. I have minor hearing loss right now in my left ear. My main reason for the surgery is to reduce a pressure sensation which has troubled me since February 2010 (so almost a year!). I've seen three separate doctors who all suggested the surgery. I would hate to go into the surgery and come out suffering one of the major side-effects- complete hearing loss, ringing, facial paralysis, etc but I really just cant see myself continuing on any longer with the weird pressure, crackling and static sounds in my ear (when around loud noises), and the sensation of fluid build up when I sleep on my left side.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
(female)

Helenfrances HB User
Re: Post-Op Stapedectomy Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentRyan View Post
Hi everyone, hope you can answer my questions.

I'm scheduled to have surgery Feb 10th 2011 (a Thursday morning). I am a college student who will need to be back in class on Monday morning, so I have the weekend to rest at home.
Will this be enough time?
Also, do you think I will be able to drive the 2.5 hours from my home to college Sunday afternoon?

I will have to go back to the doctor the following Friday to get the packing taken out. I was wondering if this packing is visible from the outside? I hadn't planned on telling anyone about the surgery but don't want them to ask questions upon seeing the packing.

Also, I'm getting really nervous after reading the posts on this website. I have minor hearing loss right now in my left ear. My main reason for the surgery is to reduce a pressure sensation which has troubled me since February 2010 (so almost a year!). I've seen three separate doctors who all suggested the surgery. I would hate to go into the surgery and come out suffering one of the major side-effects- complete hearing loss, ringing, facial paralysis, etc but I really just cant see myself continuing on any longer with the weird pressure, crackling and static sounds in my ear (when around loud noises), and the sensation of fluid build up when I sleep on my left side.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
(female)

Helenfrances HB User

How did it go? I had the op 6 days ago and am waiting to have the packing out in 6 days' time. Still got tinnitus at this point but no worse than before - just really annoying not to be able to plug in my hearing aid as that seemed to help block the whooshing. On the positive side, I'm not dizzy (though still as scatterbrained as ever).

Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
(male)

StudentRyan HB User

I haven't been dizzy or sick to my stomach at all. I've been having a lot of pressure in my ear (I hope its from the packing and dried blood??). I can't hear anything out of the ear either (also, hoping its from the packing). And I can hear the pulsation of my heart beating from time to time. I go back to the doctor on Friday hopefully he will clean out my ear and all will be well. Are you experiencing the same symptoms in regard to the packing?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
(female)

Helenfrances HB User

Not a lot of crackling except if I forget and drink beer/coke - cos of the 'bubbles'. My whooshing seems to get louder as the day goes on but maybe that because I get tired or the kids turn up the TV. I read somewhere on here that the tinnitus is more to do with the space between the various bones and stuff in the ear (can't remember the technical words). Going to a party last Saturday didn't seem to cause any change in the tinnitus though I did keep my hand over the packing in my ear - especially when the guy next to me started thumping the table and singing (I live in Denmark and they're still Vikings at heart. I'm a Brit). Left soon after that. My ear doesn't get unplugged until Monday. Oh and don't worry about people noticing the bandage - it's a good way of getting some sympathy ). All the best, Helen

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
(male)

StudentRyan HB User

The pressure has gone down thankfully. I was able to go back to classes today but there was a lot of noise in the classroom and I could hear/feel my heart beat/pulsation the entire time which drove me crazy.
I can hear very loud noises faintly in my ear and myself talking (like an echo) but that is it. I am getting worried that the operation did not improve my hearing but made it worse.
Has anyone had this experience where hearing improved later on? I still have the packing in until Friday morning. It's been 6 days since the surgery.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
(female)

Helenfrances HB User
Smile Re: Post-Op Stapedectomy Expectations

I think lots of things improve with time. Have you ever worn hearing aids? The first time I put one in the noise was totally overwhelming. It drove me mad. It took me about 3 months for my brain to adjust and then I forgot if I had it in. I wouldn't mind wearing one again as it helped with the tinnitus. I think I've read on here that everyone's experience with the surgery we've had is different as the gel they put in to hold things in place dissolves and as any residual blood goes away. One woman said her tinnitus improved after 6 months, I believe. I had otosclerosis before the op so if you took a tuning fork and held it to my skull, I heard all the noise behind my bad ear. Just after the operation, that tuning fork test was done and I heard the noise in the middle of my forehead - which they said was good. One guy on here tried scratching the bandage on his ear to see if he could hear it. Whatever the case, don't worry. Only two days to go... Just don't blow your nose like I did today - OUCH!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
(male)

StudentRyan HB User

Today I was able to hear limited noises in my operated ear- muffled loud noises, and high pitched noises (like tv show clapping, tv theme music) but it sounds like a high-pitched whistle. The pressure is still present but decreases sometimes before coming back.
I see my doctor tomorrow morning. Hopefully when he pulls out the "packing" the pressure will be gone and my hearing will improve. I'm still really concerned that my hearing has actually decreased.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
(female)

Helenfrances HB User

That's really GOOD news. My ear did the same, standing in a queue with my little son, all of a sudden I could 'hear' where he was standing - in stereo. I was so excited I started gigging up and down, which rather surprised the Danes in the queue. Like a moment from The Full Monty ). It's been popping in and out ever since, though mostly still muffled. Really odd but GREAT as that side of my head has been 'flat' for years. GOOD LUCK at the doctor's! All the best Helen

Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
(male)

StudentRyan HB User

Went to the doctor yesterday. He took the "packing" out. The pressure hasn't really gone but he said that it was normal. He said it could take up to a month for my hearing to come back due to swelling, etc.
He did a quick test with a tuning fork at low frequency. I could hear it (barely) but he said that I COULD hear it.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
(female)

Helenfrances HB User

Well I'm glad you could hear it. My hearing was totally muffled until it suddenly came back, so I'm keepng my fingers crossed for you. I got my 'packing' wet today trying to wash my hair. But it's coming out tomorrow so I'm hoping it doesn't matter too much. There must be so miuch wax in there by now that the whole ear must be pretty waterproof anyway. It was really odd sitting at a party being able to hear what EVERYONE was saying without reading lips. Could actually sit with my eyes closed listening - which must have looked a little odd. It's still popping in and out, though. Hope your swelling goes down SOON!!! All the best, Helen

Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
(male)

StudentRyan HB User

Its been about 2.5 weeks since the surgery.
I've progressed pasted the "bionic ear" stage (which was actually kind of fun). Everyone sounded like they were about 5" tall.
My hearing has significantly improved post-surgery but has yet to be at the level it was before the surgery which is disappointing to say the least.
I started hearing a high-pitched ringing sound in my ear 4 days ago. I assume its been constant but it so soft that when I'm not thinking about it I don't hear it (like when a little kid scraps his knee and it doesn't hurt until he sees the blood.)
I'm getting a steroid medication today from the pharmacy that my ENT called in for the ringing.
I also started having a wet-sensation in my ear last night that is hard to explain. I will keep this updated as time progresses.

How are you feeling Helenfrances?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
(female)

Helenfrances HB User

Hi Ryan

Helen here (or hear . I'm glad your hearing is improving. You sound happier. Mine was non-existent before the operation. That ear was totally deaf, pretty much. So what was wrong with your ear, then. Did you have some sort of build up pressing on your cochlea? (sorry to be so personal). It wasn't the same as me, obviously. My head felt totally flat, no sense of space. Now I've got hearing, but still no sense . I can hear where things are, which is really odd ))). I can find my mobile phone when it rings - doesn't help with car keys, though. I've still got whooshings and whistles but you just have to tune them out if possible. Tom Jones helps - not the mushy tracks. There - I just heard the chicken burning. Better go salvage what I can... do stay in touch. We've been through a lot together - and my other ear will get the same treatment in some years when it's finally bad enough, so I'll need you around for that. All the best Helen
PS Shame about the chicken because my taste has come back

Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #14
(female)

australiagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentRyan View Post
Its been about 2.5 weeks since the surgery.
I've progressed pasted the "bionic ear" stage (which was actually kind of fun). Everyone sounded like they were about 5" tall.
My hearing has significantly improved post-surgery but has yet to be at the level it was before the surgery which is disappointing to say the least.
I started hearing a high-pitched ringing sound in my ear 4 days ago. I assume its been constant but it so soft that when I'm not thinking about it I don't hear it (like when a little kid scraps his knee and it doesn't hurt until he sees the blood.)
I'm getting a steroid medication today from the pharmacy that my ENT called in for the ringing.
I also started having a wet-sensation in my ear last night that is hard to explain. I will keep this updated as time progresses.

How are you feeling Helenfrances?
Hi
Hope you're hearing's improving.
Did your ENT tell you the reason for the steriod medication? I'm guessing it's for swelling, I was re-admitted to hospital & had intravenous steroids in an attempt to reduce my swelling post-stapedectomy. I think steroids generally do help reduce the swelling but one of the side affects I had from them was an increase in the tinnitis (high pitched noises in my ear).

Old 03-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
(male)

StudentRyan HB User

To Helen:
I had strange ear pressure, popping noises when around a lot of different sounds (think a classroom with 50 people talking amongst themselves), a static sound when I was around loud noises (dance club, bar), and if I slept on my left side the ear felt like it filled with fluid when I woke up. This lasted for nearly a year before I had surgery.
They tested my hearing and the lower range was 30-35 decibels below normal. They also ran two other tests that concluded it was conductive hearing loss. So hence the stapedectomy (although the symptoms I mentioned above were more important to me- I hardly noticed the hearing loss).

Closed Thread