It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User
Hearing loud after stapedectomy

My mother had her stapedectomy operation in her right ear 2 weeks back.Sponge has been removed from her ear but she is still unable to hear from her right ear. Also, she is hearing everything unusually loudly from her left ear. If she closes her left ear, she is unable to hear anything and feels better.

Is it normal? Is their any problem??

Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

australiagirl HB User
Re: Hearing loud after stapedectomy

Hi Snehalmanutd
I had my stapedectomy 9 weeks ago & unfortunately have lost all hearing (including sensory hearing) following the surgery. When you say your mum is hearing everything unusually loud from her left ear, do you mean she is hearing her own voice very loudly through that ear (left ear)? When she talks, can she hear her own voice going out of her operated ear, or only going out through the left?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User

Yes she is hearing her own from her left ear, and can also hear her own voice from the operated ear. She feels that her voice is Echoing from her left hear. She is hearing voices like crunching and all very loudly as well.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
(female)

australiagirl HB User

Hi Snehalmanutd
One of the main indicators that something may have gone wrong with a stapedectomy is not being able to hear your own voice going "out" of the operated ear. If your mum is hearing her voice through both ears thats good.
The loud crunching when chewing, sounds vibrating, plates/cupboard doors etc sounding very loud are all normal following the surgery. My doctor said it's not uncommon for the loudness to continue for several months.
I'm sure once the swelling starts to reduce in your mums ear, she will start hearing better. She may still have small amounts of packing/blood etc in her ear & that would affect her hearing. If she continues to have no hearing through the operated ear after about a month post-surgery, I would probably contact the doctor and request audiology testing (hearing test).
Tell your mum to try not to worry, everything she's experiencing is pretty normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to australiagirl For This Useful Post:
snehalmanutd (02-07-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User

Thanks..

Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User

Since morning, she is also hearing a loud noise from within as if a machine is on. She is hearing it even if she closes both her ears...is it okay??

Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User

Since morning, she is also hearing a loud noise from within, as if a machine is switched on. She is hearing the noise even if she closes both her ears. Is it normal?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
(female)

australiagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snehalmanutd View Post
Since morning, she is also hearing a loud noise from within as if a machine is on. She is hearing it even if she closes both her ears...is it okay??
Hi Snehalmanutd

The loud noise your mum's hearing from within is most probably something called 'Tinnitus'. Tinnitus is when you hear sounds from within that no-one else can hear. I've had it since my stapedectomy. It's a common side effect from the surgery which hopefully should improve over the next few weeks once the hearing starts improving. If the tinnitus was still loud 4 or 5 weeks after surgery I would probably phone the surgeon just to be on the safe side, but it's definitely common to have it for the first few weeks.

I hope your mum starts feeling better soon, I'm sure she will.

Please keep us updated on her progress.

AussieGirl

Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User

The voice is like a generator is running or some motor. She cant hear her own voice from her operated hear since morning.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
(female)

australiagirl HB User

Quote:
The voice is like a generator is running or some motor. She cant hear her own voice from her operated hear since morning.
Hi Snehalmanutd

I'm sure everything will be ok with your mum but I would probably give the Surgeon a call today just to be on the safe side.

Not being able to hear your own voice out through the ear when speaking can sometimes be caused by swelling. If it is swelling, the Surgeon may want to put her on a course of strong steroids. The steroids work really well at reducing swelling. I initially had a lot of swelling after the surgery and was put on steroids.

If I were your mum I would call Doctor today & advise Doc that she can no longer hear her own voice out of the ear when speaking & also tell him about the loud tinnitus that has started.

Can your mum hear anyone speaking to her through the ear yet??

Old 02-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #11
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User

No she cant. The doctor has given her steroids.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #12
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User

Its been 3 days since the doctor has given steroids. Still no effect.
She feels irritated when she "hears" loud noises from her operated ear. Its like she cant make out what it is nor hear it properly but still she doesnt like any loud noise.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
(female)

australiagirl HB User

Quote:
Its been 3 days since the doctor has given steroids. Still no effect.
She feels irritated when she "hears" loud noises from her operated ear. Its like she cant make out what it is nor hear it properly but still she doesnt like any loud noise.
I was given tablet steroids for a few days then was put in hospital for a while to enable doctor to give me strong steroids via an intravenous needle. I've read on these health boards that some people are on the tablet steroids for a month. It's still early days since your mums surgery so hopefully the steroids will have some affect.
When you said she stopped being able to hear her own voice through the ear was most likely the start of the problem, that was only a few days ago so there's still a good chance things will start to improve.
The way you describe things sounds very similar to what I have. Even though I'm now deaf in the operated ear, I can still hear loud vibrations but no actual words. Doors closing, plates hitting together etc, sound loud & irritating through the ear & it feels almost painful. When I try to listen on the phone with my operated ear, I only hear a squeaky high pitched sound/vibration, I can't make out any actual words. My audiologist told me not being able to make out actual words is indicative of cochlear (nerve) damage. Maybe if you ask your mum to see what happens when she listens on the phone & see whether she can hear words??

Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
(male)

snehalmanutd HB User

She cant hear any vibrations from phone in her operated ear. When she closes her unoperated ear and a loud noise is made nearby(like car's horn etc) she hears it faintly from her operated ear. She feels better if she closes her unoperated ear. She is still hearing voices like a motor running from her operated ear. She is unable to balance her body properly if she hears loud noises, but feels better if she closes her unoperated ear. She cant move her head easily.Her mouth feels sour.

Closed Thread