It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

leleoh HB User
Surgical Repair is Required

Hi all,

I'm new here and already have found a lot of good information here. My 2011 started out by tripping and falling into the railing on my porch New Year's Day. That knocked me unconscious at which time I continued to fall until I landed on the left side of my head and face on the porch steps. Since then I have had issues hearing with my left ear. My description of my hearing is that the outside volume was turned down, the inside volume turned up and a kazoo was placed in my ear. The ER doctor and my primary care both said that I needed to wait for the swelling to subside to assess the hearing. Eardrum was intact with no evidence of excess fluid or blood behind it.

Well, my hearing got no better. So my search began. Two weeks after the fall I went to a local audiologist who said I may have dislocated/broken the bones in the ear. He asked about tinnitus, of which I had none. Pain, of which I had none. Told me the best place to go was Mass Eye and Ear, so next step was Boston bound.

Got in to see Dr. Michael McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear in Boston last week. His fellow asked me a lot of questions, wanted to know if I had any pain in the ear, dizziness or tinnitus. I have the tinnitus now, started a week after I saw the local audiologist. They surmise that with no pain in the ear I didn't break any of the bones, but dislocated them. So I will need to surgically have my ossicular chain realigned. I'm scared, I have a fear of surgery and anesthesia.

While at Mass Eye and Ear they gave me another hearing test and they suspect I have a mild sensorineural loss to, which may or may not have been present before the fall. I do know that my left ear wasn't as "strong" as my right, but not so much different that I thought there was a problem.

So that's me. Terrified of surgery, but happy that Dr. McKenna has done thousands of operations on the bones in the ear. My repair is not time sensitive so I think I will wait until spring when snowmobile season ends. Can't wear a helmet or ride my snowmobile after surgery so might as well wait until I put it away for the season.

Any words of wisdom of what to expect post-op greatly appreciated, good or bad. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to leleoh:
Reidan (02-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
(female)

suze99 HB User
Smile Re: Surgical Repair is Required

Hi,
I was just diagnosed with otoscerosis about a month ago, and am trying to decide if and when to have a stapedectomy. I live in western NY but am willing to travel for the best doctor to perform the procedure. It sounds like Dr.McKenna has been recommended before on this site, so I am thinking of possibly setting up an appointment. Do you live in the Boston area or are you traveling from further away? I hope you are feeling better.

Suzanne

Old 03-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
(female)

leleoh HB User
Re: Surgical Repair is Required

Hi Suzanne,

I live about an hour or so outside of Boston. I feel lucky to live so close to some of the best hospitals and doctors on the east coast. Dr. McKenna is also a professor at Harvard Medical School in Otology and Laryngology. He was very nice, I am waiting until spring to have the procedure done myself. The good thing about Boston is there are lots of places to stay!

Keep me posted on what you decide.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
(female)

suze99 HB User

Hi leleoh,
Thanks for the reply! You are lucky to live within an hour of Boston since they have excellent medical care there. I am actually a nurse who lives in Rochester, NY and am going to get a second opinion from another ENT doctor that works at an academic medical center in Rochester. I will have to ask him how many stapedectomies he has performed when I see him next week. Is that the procedure that you will be having too? It sounds like your hearing loss is more related to one of the middle ear bones being injured or dislocated? Do you know how many visits you are going to have to make to see Dr. McKenna? Obviously you already went to your preop visit if you are scheduled for surgery, but did they give you an idea of what to expect after? Do you know if he will be performing the procedure or a resident or fellow? Sorry so many questions...just trying to find out as much as possible. I have a 3-month old and am trying to think of when a good time will be to have this done since my husband and I would like at least one more child, but from what I've heard, I'll be out of commission for a while after this surgery. Were they pretty flexible with scheduling your surgery or did you have to wait a long time? Thanks again for your help!

Suzanne

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
(female)

leleoh HB User

I haven't scheduled the surgery yet. I fell and dislocated the bones in my ear (along with a concussion and several scrapes and bruises that are all healed now). They're not sure exactly what they'll find once they get in there, don't know if I'll need anything replaced or just put the bones back in place with titanium pins. Before my fall I didn't have a hearing problem that I knew of .

So that appointment was my surgical consult. Next I have to schedule the surgery and then I find out more details, basically they gave me the simplified version of what to expect. Pre-op, surgery, post op like a week after, and then a few more appts to check hearing and healing. So I have no idea about how many appts I'm facing.

I will be calling in the next couple of weeks to schedule the surgery. I wanted to wait until spring to have it done, I'm a snowmobilier and I wanted to finish up the season first. I will go either in April or May.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
(female)

suze99 HB User

Thanks for the response leleoh : ) I'm sure you will be glad to get your ear taken care of. I know that we are having different procedures, but they both involve the middle ear so I'm sure they have their similarities. Keep me updated on your status. Hope you have a nice weekend!

Suzanne

Old 03-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
(female)

leleoh HB User

Thanks. I am going to call Dr. McKenna's office next week to find out how far in advance I need to schedule my procedure. I want to get the bones put back in place mid to late April. I'll keep you posted and let me know what you decide to do.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
(female)

leleoh HB User

An update an on. Tomorrow I am going in for my pre-op appointments to Mass Eye and Ear. My surgery is scheduled for May 12th. I am looking forward to it and terrified of it all at the same time!

It will be nice to have some of hearing back though.

Closed Thread