It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
(male)

Splat003 HB User
Stapedectomy on both ears ?

Hi, I have had bad hearing for 10+ years, and diagnosed with Otosclerosis about 5 years ago. I didn't have medical insurance until about a week ago. I went to an ENT surgeon yesterday he ran a few tests and said I was a perfect candidate for the Stapectomy,(however ya spell it) in both ears. ( I cant wait to get rid of the hearing aids !! )

My first question is, how long should I expect to wait to have the 2nd ear done?
2nd question, realistically how much improvement can I expect? will it be 100% of "normal"?, 90%? 50%? If I had done the surgery years ago would it make a difference in the results?

Thanks,

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
(male)

bcbart82 HB User
Re: Stapedectomy on both ears ?

My surgeon recommended waiting 6 months before operating on the 2nd ear. I'd think your doctor would tell you how much improvement to expect based on your hearing tests. I have nerve damage so after my surgeries mine was not normal but a lot better at about 80% or so. I'm pretty happy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
(male)

Splat003 HB User

Thanks, I'm just glad to finally get it done! I thought of another plus, I could listen to headphones again !!! Hearing aids and ear buds don't go well together LOL

Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
(male)

Splat003 HB User
Talking Re: Stapedectomy on both ears ?

Great news !!

I had my Right ear done this morning (3/2/2011). It went perfectly!! No nausea, No ringing, on a scale from 1 to 10 the pain was/is .01 You wouldn't even know I had anything done if it weren't for the gauze bandage in my ear. Dr Tagge even kept the stapes bone for me. (per my request)

I have very little "popping" and sometimes hear my heartbeat. but its barely noticeable. All in all I am EXTREMELY happy with the early results and am glad that I did it. I can hear things now, even with the "packing" still in that I couldn't before. I can't wait till it heals and the packing is gone! and as soon as it's healed enough I'm going back to do the Left ear.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
(male)

Splat003 HB User

2 days post op:
still no pain or nausea However the hearing that I did have has left. but from other peoples posts I've read, that isn't anything to worry about, yet.
I noticed most people have their follow up visit a week after the surgery, but my Dr is waiting 1 month. no worries.
My question is how often do I change the cotton ball? (waiting for the Dr to return that call) No blood or oozing noticed. so I will change as/if necessary.
All in all I'm still glad I finally got it done and cant wait to do my other ear.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
(male)

bcbart82 HB User

It sounds like things are going good and normal for your post-op, thats good! I stopped using the cotton ball after a few days since there was no blood showing on it. My post op visits for both ears was about 2.5 weeks later and the hearing test about 3 months after. There is surely swelling now and that would explain the hearing loss you had at frist right after surgery. I never experienced that but i've read several posts from others saying that. Glad to hear things are going good, keep it dry, dont blow your nose etc, follow the Dr's orders

Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
(male)

Splat003 HB User

7 days Post op

My hearing comes and goes. Dr says that's normal, and a good sign. I don't know how or why that would be good sign but I will trust him, he's the one who went to medical school. He also want's me to continue changing my cotton ball for another week, even tho is hasn't bled or oozed since day 2 or 3. Perhaps he's playing it safe.
Any thoughts how that could be a good thing?

-Pat

Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
(male)

notreadyyet HB User

Hey there. I had my first ear done in 1987 and my right ear in 2006. Both are still in great shape and my hearing is pretty good. Personally, I'm not sure I would venture to have both ears worked on in a timeframe that's close to one another. Surgery is surgery, and although the success rate for Stapedectomy's are super, sometimes things don't go as planned. If it were me I'd have one done and then the other done a year later, unless of course your Dr. has a good reason to do otherwise. I've also read (on these boards) that the results are not permanent but, I'm 54 and still doing great, even 23 years after the first one. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to notreadyyet For This Useful Post:
Splat003 (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
(male)

askrkrao HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreadyyet View Post
Hey there. I had my first ear done in 1987 and my right ear in 2006. Both are still in great shape and my hearing is pretty good. Personally, I'm not sure I would venture to have both ears worked on in a timeframe that's close to one another. Surgery is surgery, and although the success rate for Stapedectomy's are super, sometimes things don't go as planned. If it were me I'd have one done and then the other done a year later, unless of course your Dr. has a good reason to do otherwise. I've also read (on these boards) that the results are not permanent but, I'm 54 and still doing great, even 23 years after the first one. Good luck
Hi notreadyyet,

Even i had my stapedectomy done for my left ear on 2001 in india. Still doing great. Right now i am staying in USA. I will be planning to have it for my right ear. By the way, who is your doctor?

-askrk

Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
(male)

notreadyyet HB User

I live in the suburbs of Washington D.C.; not exactly local to you (Cal.)

Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
(male)

bcbart82 HB User

In response to your question about why that is a good thing, since you are hearing the Dr probably feels the surgery was a success and the prosthetic device is working. That's just my take on it.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
(male)

Splat003 HB User

11 days post op.

Getting better every day. I had a bit of a scare the other day, I decided to wash my hair. I did the cotton ball with Vaseline thing AND a plastic cup. but still managed to get my ear pretty damned wet.

I let it drain, and breath for a bit before replacing the cotton ball. my ear hurt after so I took a leftover pain pill and relaxed. The next day I woke up with a head cold, and couldn't hear much at all. But today I'm back at 100% and hearing at 75% of "normal".
2.5 weeks and I get my followup visit. I have a very good feeling.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
(male)

Splat003 HB User

4 months post OP.

I'm hearing GREAT !! I finally lost the scab off my eardrum a few days ago. My left ear is scheduled for July 6th.(1 month away) !!! I wish I could have done this years ago !!!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
(female)

leleoh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat003 View Post
4 months post OP.

I'm hearing GREAT !! I finally lost the scab off my eardrum a few days ago. My left ear is scheduled for July 6th.(1 month away) !!! I wish I could have done this years ago !!!
Sounds like you're doing great! Congratulations!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
(male)

Splat003 HB User

All is good with my right ear (it's now 4 months post OP.)

I just had my left ear done 2 days ago. Very dizzy this time, Nausea. and alot more bleeding, It completely soaked the cotton ball and dripped down my chin(day 2).
Day 3, no more obvious bleeding, but It f feels like a dam has formed in my ear canal, it feels like a pool of fluid is between the "Dam" and the ear drum. Still a bit of vertigo if I look down.

It's getting a little better every day, so I'm happy But I wish it went as well as my right ear did.

Closed Thread