It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

partlycloudy HB User
Question Would this harm my hearing?

I work as a secretary, mostly doing transcription. When I started the tape, I didn't see the volume had been pushed to max. It blasted my ears, and my ear hurt some after that. I have a feeling my boss' daughter did it as she is bipolar, and I recently got into an argument with her. I cut my hours because I don't like her and she knows it. Someone else was at my desk printing a spreadsheet that day, but it doesn't seem likely she'd nudge the volume that far by accident and not know it.

Anyway, not knowing how loud max is (it was loud is all I can say), how likely is it could harm my hearing? My hearing is very good, and I keep the volume low. I feel foolish asking my doctor about this, but I go in to see him next month anyway. I'm checking my machine every time from now on, but how likely is it a sudden loud noise like this could harm my ears?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Would this harm my hearing?

Hi loud volume can damage hearing yes. A relative of mine was working on a car and something about what he was doing (I think he said a battery) made such a loud noise that after that he did not hear well in that ear. A different relative of mine by marriage was in the military and heard such loud noise from that activity that he lost a lot of hearing in his left ear.

Usually if hearing damage occurs there are some symptoms afterward, were there any symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
(female)

partlycloudy HB User

No, I had a little bit of pain in my left ear afterwards that day. My left ear hurts again today, a week later, but my head and nose are hurting, too - it's probably sinus related pain, I'm thinking...

Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi hmmm an eye ear nose throat doctor might help with that.

Some hearing aid companies used to offer a free hearing test and once in awhile there are other organzations that might offer a free hearing test.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
(female)

partlycloudy HB User

Thanks, yeah, I've always had sinus issues, like a headache when it rains. I'm probably making too big of a deal out of/obsessing over the hearing thing because I am unhapppy with my work situation. I need to find a better job and leave!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi hmmm well if a person has candida inhabiting the sinus, when it is more moist and also more mold spores in the atmosphere because of the moisture the sinus might put out more postnasal drip. The drip can in turn go into the throat area and potentially the eustachian tubes giving some possible infection and ear pain. Loud noise won't help it either. I heard that if a loud noise is heard by even healthy people they can become irritated instantly because the pressure in the brain goes up.

To check for candida a person could get a Candida antibody blood titre. I would not bother with the cultures since most of the time the candida does not live that well outside the body.

Maybe the radio could be moved or removed without a fuss?

Closed Thread