It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

smalls1881 HB User
Anyone have a BAHA?

Hi, I am looking into getting a BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid). I am currently using power aids and I have a profound loss. I am finding they are not working well enough for me anymore, there aren't stronger power aids. The doctor suggested the BAHA, saying since it eliminates the middle ear, it may be what I need. I just want to hear from someone who has had this done to see how it works, if it is better, is it worth it, how long were you out of work after it... Thanks

Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Anyone have a BAHA?

Hi I too have conductive loss all my life. Well I heard about BAHA last week. I asked my audiologist and she said this is for people who cannot wear hearing aids due to ear infections all the time or lack of ears or trouble wearing. It is powerful too but my own digital hearing aids are as powerful. After the operation, you may still have same trouble with hearing problem because it is not perfect. Don't expect to recover 100% or hear 100%. It does not work that way. BAHA strictly speaking is for people who have physical ear skin problem and cannot wear digital hearing aids.
I suggest you talk to audiologist first to find out how your hear and what kind of hearing aids you can use.
About the doctor, I am not saying he is wrong, but you need a second opinion before you go with it. I had one doctor who almost wanted to operate on me for wrong test result. My first doctor said this was wrong.

Anyway, BAHA does not make your hear more powerfully. There are very strong digital hearing aids and you only need to pay about $2,700 each.
I would try more hearing aids before you do BAHA. Any operation is risky.

Regards,
NC

Last edited by ninamarc; 03-10-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread