It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
(male)

John1960 HB User
pleas help! dont know whats going on!? possible hearing loss??

Hey everyone..

So my situation is this. About 8-9 months ago I started to notice what seemed to be a decline in my hearing. Noticing different tones dissapearing, things sounding more muffled/distant, slight onset of hyperacusis.. Been having very consistent tinnitus as well.

The thing is my audiograms keep coming up within normal range. The only frequency that goes below 10 is 8000khz and that comes up at 15. I am 28 Yo almost 29. No sinus infections, been to ent and ears look normal.

I really dont understand what is going on. I have had so many hearing tests trying to get to the bottom of whats going on. My hearing just feels so much different especially when outside and it is really starting to get depressing!

Any thoughts or anyone out there who has experienced something similar?? thanks in advance

Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: pleas help! dont know whats going on!? possible hearing loss??

Good news that your hearing is good.

I've been dealing with something similar for over a year now. I do have a history of hearing loss in one ear though. My ears have been stuffy since March of last year. I've also had periodic ear ringing that can get intense at times.

I've had PCP's, 2 ENT's and 2 Audiologists all tell me there is nothing physically wrong with my ears.

Through lots of research and self-referral, I've learned I have TMJ with my lower jaw pushing back a bit towards my ear causing the problems. My ear problems were my only indicating symptoms. I'm now in TMJ treatment to pull my lower jaw back forward again.

I also have some muscular spasms happening as well that I was unaware of. I now get trigger point work done by my PT and massage therapist on my jaw, neck, shoulder and facial muscle areas. Everything is so close to the ear that when the muscles become tight it pushes into the ear causing some of the stuffiness.

Not sure I answered your question, but hopefully it gives you something to think about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
(male)

John1960 HB User

Thanks for the reply.

Have you noticed any difference since starting your therapy? I was thinking it might be muscle related so I will have to look into some kind of trigger point therapy.

Also, can I ask what kind of results showed up on your audiograms? Like was it all within range, at least with your good ear? Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

The muscle work helps tremendously. I just wish I could get it done much more often. I just can't afford it. It is really worth looking into though.

If you can find a good therapist of some kind who does orofacial trigger point releases, I'd try that first. Also, if you have insurance you might ask your doctor about a diagnosis of cervicalgia or myofacial pain. Those are basically medical issues related to tightness in the neck or other areas. My insurance covered a few PT visits for this diagnosis.

Also, there is a good book by Clair Davies called the Trigger Point Workbook that is great to help you learn to do some releases on your own. I use it as a supplement, but when things were bad, there was no way I could do them. I needed several months of professional help first.

The audiogram for my good ear showed some mild hearing loss in my good ear that wasn't there before. I really think it is caused by my jaw being pushed back into my ear some. I'm hopeful that my next hearing test will actually improve as my TMJ treatment progresses. (Fingers crossed here.) My "bad ear" that has the most stuffiness and ear pain has had the hearing remain the same over many many years.

Closed Thread