It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
My stapedectomy report-3 week mark tomorrow need input

Hello everyone...

Figured I would start my own thread and see if anyone has experienced what I am right now to only have things get better. guess you can say I need some positive input as I am beginning to worry to say the least... Last night was the first that I said...I may be like this for the rest of my life...then the flood gates opened....

I had my stepdectomy on Feb. 18th didn t have any complications and actually it was a breeze. I did exactly what the doctor ordererd...off from work for a week...relaxed...and did nothing to a point where I could actually say I am bored.

Packing was taken out 10 days later...I was expecting to have sonic hearing and was so disappinted to only be able to hear what my doctor was saying very softly..but I did hear him..before the operation I would not beable to hear anything he had said. I had a hearing aid in my other ear and heard him loud and clear until I took it out..then very hard but I could hear him with the operated ear...

it will be two weeks since the packing was taken out come this Monday. and on the 18th of this month 1 month since the surgery... I will admit I am getting scared because my hearing level is turned down way low. Still can t hear well at all and actually seems like it might be worse like I am so clogged and I will say I do feel congested today. I do have a hearing aid that I actually had to start using again because it is just to hard to hear voices at times...certain tones I can t even hear...but others I can but at a low volumn.

So here is my question...has anyone had this and then had their hearing return down the road a little. I go to get my hearing testedon the 28th of this month so I have a little over two weeks to go.. I feel like my speaker is blown if that makes since. background noises...forget.. Hard to describe..but what I do hear does not seem crystal clear and just feel like if I could turn the volumn up it would help....I can honestly say my hearing is better then before the surgery as I was just about deaf.. I had a stapedectomy in this ear 17 years ago and it became unattached he said.... but if left like this I def. need to wear a hearing aid in the other ear to help me out. Really hard to understand people because the volumn seems like it is turned down so low...

I honestly thought that by now I would be seeing an improvement daily..which last week I actually felt like I was..but this week if anything I feel like it is worse...and my voice is louder in my head then what I am hearing...I was hearing alot of cracking..popping in the operated ear a couple of days ago..not sure if this is the inside packing dissolving or what. My dr. did say he really packed it up well inside to support my presthesis..

I do understand that I need patience-which I am out of..seems like lately my emotions are winning...... but I am trying to keep my chin up-it gets harder by the day

Last edited by billcindy1; 03-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: My stapedectomy report-3 week mark tomorrow need input

Just wanted to update this and say that my hearing has really improved since posting. I called my dr. due to my nasal congestion and dizziness and now feeling like the worse head cold and he prescribed me an anti-biotic and nasal decongestion. It seemed like my hearing was getting alittle better over the weekend and Sunday with one of my many many sneezes I felt my ear pop and wow....what a difference...It did clog up again and has popped now twice but since the last pop I was able to sit on the couch and actually hear tv and make out what they were saying. talk about feeling so much better. I am now experiencing lots of crackling in my ear...sounds like I have tons of shampoo bubbles in there is the only way I can describe it...and i think it has to do with my nasal congestion but also the inner packing dissolving . I know my dr. did say he really packed it up alot for support and it would dissolve on its own.

I go back two weeks from today for my hearing test and I am excited to see what improvements I have in my new ear.

I think I was expecting to much to soon..

Closed Thread