It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
(female)

Stap x2 HB User
Stapectomy second time around

Good Morning to all,
I went into Mass Eye and Ear for a stapectomy revision on March 3rd, one ear. Once the surgeon got into the ear a revision was not possible so I had my second stapectomy on this ear. Fourteen years ago my results were amazing and went well. This time not so lucky. Lots of ringing, pressure and tunnel sounds....I actually hear worse. The nerve from my tongue was compromised and now the left side(surgery side), I have metalic taste, numbness and feelings of a head cold. Yes I am 14years older then the first one however I am very unhappy with these results. The Dr. informed me that alot of digging was required to remove the old device...which they eventually could not find in the ear and just attached the new one.
I had no pain, little vertigo and very little nausea. So....anyone have this problem and if so does the hearing eventually come back
Thanks Stap x2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

otoga HB User
Re: Stapectomy second time around

I can't comment on the hearing coming back but I had the surgery 2/7 and I still have the metalic kinda soapy taste on my right side of my mouth. Will my taste ever return to normal ??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Good Morning Step X2....

Our stories are almost alike..I had my first stapedectomy in my right ear 17 years ago and this past Dec. it just stopped working one day. My doctor was going in to do a revision and reattach but did another stapedectomy. I also had a problem with fluid leaking from my middle to inner and he had to do a skin graph for that area. it was caused when the presthesis came unattached.

I am 5 weeks post surgery and I am also unhappy with my results so far..but i am being hopeful that maybe it will get better. I swear I remember my first surgery having that sonic hearing right away but not sure when..this time I have had an improvement since it stopped working that is for sure..but not the way it was before I lost my hearing in Dec.. But I will say...when it was gone..it was awful..I could not hear just about anything and my left ear is alos just about deaf so it was pretty scary. My dr. loaned me a hearing aid until my surgery and as of today I am still using it.

I will say I can hear things that I could not before..my hubby breathing at night...windchimes outside my house..and even hear my fingers rub together near my operated ear..but what I cant hear is voices very well..certain ones just can t make out..and if you have a soft voice forget it. I also have dizziness still, pressure feeling, and also that clogged-full feeling in my ear which I am going to discuss with my Dr. tomorrow. Like if it would pop it would be so much better. My hearing is muffled I guess and faint noises are not being picked up... I go tomorrow for my hearing test and hopefully will get some answers as to why some of my hearng has not returned and what if anything can be done now. I am going to get myself a hearing aid and see if my left ear is a canidate for stapedectomy next year.

I keep reminding myself...I am 17 years older...and what I have been given back is more then what I started with before the surgery...I can actually talk in my phone now but My biggest fear before the surgery was not hearing my alarm clock going off in the morning to wake me..once It was blasting for 15 mins. didn t hear it..scary..now I can atleast hear that...It is hard...this surgery is an emotional roller-coaster...one day up..next day down. But having others on this board going thru it with you is helpful thats for sure...

Please keep us posted with how your hearing is doing. you are about 2 weeks or so behind me and I know with time it will only get better for you..keep your chin up...

Cindy

Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

otoga...

how is your hearing??? you are a coupleof weeks prior to me. wondering if your hearing has been restored completely....

Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
(female)

otoga HB User

My hearing is pretty good. It varies day to day though. The ringing some days is not so bad and other days it's almost back to what it was before the surgery. I have a little hard time understanding speach in a noisey environment.

I went in for my check up and I was told no fingers, q-tips, nothing in the ear after surgery so I did not mess with it and when the doc looked in the ear it was full of ear wax. When he cleaned it out the hearing was even better.

I can lay in bed with my good ear covered by the pillow and now hear the tv at night so I know it's much better. The dog barking is really loud and I now realize that my hubby is about as deaf as I was because the tv is really, really loud all the time !

I go back for a hearing test in June.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
(female)

glad to hear ....I went yesterday and did not get the scores we were hoping for with my hearing. A slight improvement from before the surgery which I will take...but nothing where he expected me to be. I do not have much hearing in the other ear so I am getting myself a hearing aid to help me out. and then that ear will be next..but right now he needs to get my operated ear feeling good he said. horrible pressure and some dizziness..feels like my ear needs to pop but won t is the only way to discribe it..annoying as heck.

I go back in another month so see where my issue is..and he may put a tube in to help with the pressure. I have read on here that some have had more hearing come back later I am hoping I am one. but i will take what I was given with a smile..

I am happy to hear that things are good with your hearing......you went in about 11 days before I did...just looked LOL Have you noticed any improvements still happening....and what about pressure feeling and ears popping.. I hear like my ears are clogged and need to pop..

Cindy

Last edited by billcindy1; 03-29-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
(female)

otoga HB User

They did a hearing test already on you ? Mine won't do one until 6 months after surgery.

The hearing varies so much day to day I really don't notice any improvement. But I never thought I was that bad to begin with. The ear somedays feels like it's full and other days it's fine. When I blow my nose it messes up the ear. I played tennis and the looking up and down and moving my head makes me a bit dizzy afterwards. It's pollen time right now and the pollen is causing me to be a little dizzy also.

I think it's better than it was before the surgery. It was a good $6k investment.

I hope your hearing does improve in the next few months. My doc told me that it takes up to 6 months to settle in.

Last edited by otoga; 03-29-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
(female)

Yes...my doctor took the packing out 10 days after and then set me up for a hearing test one month after that..so right now I am 5 weeks 4 days post surgery.

I am going in three weeks for a hearing aid. I have one now but it is a loaner from dr. and I need to return it sooner or later. This way when I feel like I am struggling in conversations or tv I can use that. I am lucky that somethings I can make out..

I am looking forward to getting the other ear done down the road..

Closed Thread