It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

cat1520 HB User
After a Stapedectomy....

I had my stapedectomy surgery 9 days ago. Everything went very well. I could hear everything very loud right after the surgery (in the recovery room). It dulled out over the week. I didn't have any dizziness or nausea or vertigo that I saw everyone post about (I am very thankful for that.
I went back to the doctor yesterday for my post-op check up. He took out all the packing and everything was VERY loud. I can hear everything! And everything is very amplirfied. The doctor said that everything looks great & is healing very well.
Anyway, to get to my question/concern......
Right after my operation, I woke with VERY dry mouth. I mean it was horrible, I couldn't even form any saliva in my mouth! The nurse said that it was probably from the anisthestia and that it should go away. Okay, it did somewhat go away after the second day. I could form saliva in my mouth and I could finally eat something that wasn't soup on "liquidy". but I am still dealing with very dry mouth after 9 days! Does anyone know if this is normal? Did anyone else deal with this? If so, how long did it last for you?
Also I have the "pulse in my ear" sensation. I thought it would go away once all the packing was taken out, but it is still there. Any idea on how long that might last? I know every person is different, I'd just like to get a general idea.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
(male)

askrkrao HB User
Re: After a Stapedectomy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1520 View Post
I had my stapedectomy surgery 9 days ago. Everything went very well. I could hear everything very loud right after the surgery (in the recovery room). It dulled out over the week. I didn't have any dizziness or nausea or vertigo that I saw everyone post about (I am very thankful for that.
I went back to the doctor yesterday for my post-op check up. He took out all the packing and everything was VERY loud. I can hear everything! And everything is very amplirfied. The doctor said that everything looks great & is healing very well.
Anyway, to get to my question/concern......
Right after my operation, I woke with VERY dry mouth. I mean it was horrible, I couldn't even form any saliva in my mouth! The nurse said that it was probably from the anisthestia and that it should go away. Okay, it did somewhat go away after the second day. I could form saliva in my mouth and I could finally eat something that wasn't soup on "liquidy". but I am still dealing with very dry mouth after 9 days! Does anyone know if this is normal? Did anyone else deal with this? If so, how long did it last for you?
Also I have the "pulse in my ear" sensation. I thought it would go away once all the packing was taken out, but it is still there. Any idea on how long that might last? I know every person is different, I'd just like to get a general idea.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Hi Cat1520,

Don't worry. This is just normal. This is due to anesthesia. I am sure. I had the same surgery 10 years ago in India. Immediately i got hearing improvement. I just had followed doctors suggestions. "No sneeze". The pulse sensation is also normal. For me it took me 5 -6 weeks to go away.
Take rest as much as you can.

Who is your doctor?

Thanks,
askrkrao

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

cat1520 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrkrao View Post
Hi Cat1520,

Don't worry. This is just normal. This is due to anesthesia. I am sure. I had the same surgery 10 years ago in India. Immediately i got hearing improvement. I just had followed doctors suggestions. "No sneeze". The pulse sensation is also normal. For me it took me 5 -6 weeks to go away.
Take rest as much as you can.

Who is your doctor?

Thanks,
askrkrao
Thank you for your reply.
I saw Dr. David Eisenman in Maryland.
I didn't think that I would still be feeling the affects from the anisthesia after 9 days.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

I had my surgery Feb 18th and one thing I can remember is the dry cotton mouth...it was horrible. I was told it had to do with my med that they gave me to prevent nausea and vertigo.. This is what was said before they gave it to me. I know that I had it for about 3 to 4 days and it was horrible. I also had a problem in the hospital with dehydration...so I was on gatoraide for a few days... not sure if this will help. And as far as the heartbeat in ear. very normal..I still can hear it every now and then... but I will say it was so annoying right after the surgery...seemed to be so loud..

The Following User Says Thank You to billcindy1 For This Useful Post:
cat1520 (04-04-2011)
Closed Thread