It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

leleoh HB User
Surgery Scheduled

I am heading to Mass Eye and Ear in Boston MA to have the bones in my middle ear realigned on 05/12/2011. My fall on New Year's day has done permanent damage to the hearing in my left ear. The conductive portion, due to the ossicular chain dislocation, can be repaired - I hope.

The surgeon said that he doesn't think any of the bones were broken as there was no blood behind the eardrum and no pain in that ear. So the hope is that the bones are fine, just out of alignment and he'll use titanium screws to hold them in place once they are lined up again. He admitted though that he won't know for sure exactly what he's dealing with until he gets in there.

I hate anesthesia, I wake up not very nicely from past experience. I get all depressed and I shake for a couple of hours. Have to remember to warn them about that. So I have about 6 weeks to go and I know those weeks are going to fly by and all of a sudden it will be surgery day.

I am trying to keep my expectations realistic because I know the surgery will only address part of the problem and I may still need a hearing aid afterward to hear better. Right now I can't use an aid because the bones being out of alignment make the sounds in that ear sound like they're coming through a kazoo.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
(female)

IHope2 HB User
Re: Surgery Scheduled

Hi to all. I am new to this Board, and a bit rusty to message boards in general. I want to say "Hello, and hope to get to meet a lot of nice people". I've done some reading in the Hearing Disorders forum, as I will be having Stapedectomy surgery four days from now. I am very nervous and scared, and it has helped some to read about member's post-op experiences. It is nice not to feel so alone. I have had a lot of fear of this surgery, due to the fact that, other than Otosclerosis, I also have Meniere's, and my biggest fear is that the Stapedectomy may trigger a vertigo episode. I made my decision to have the Stapedectomy after one night being in a restaurant with my husband, and I could not hear him talking to me, and any words I did hear were all jumbled, due to the background noise/talking, and clattering of dishes. I actually became dizzy and had to walk out of the restaurant. Decision made!

Sorry for the long "Hello", and I do hope I put this message in the correct area. Please pardon me if I made an error.

Wishing all a nice day. Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to IHope2:
Fantine (04-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Hello Ihope2....and welcome!!

Good luck with your upcoming stapedectomy. You came to the right place....I have to say that there is so much information to gain here...and also new friends too...

Cindy

Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

leleoh...

My goodness... that is terrible. I hope that everything works out for you. Sounds like you took quite a fall...

Good Luck to you!!!!!!

Cindy

Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

I had my stapedectomy two weeks ago today. While I was sick immediately after waking up after the surgery, it passed in a few minutes, and I had almost no dizziness afterwards, maybe a total of 10 minutes of mild lightheadedness over the next three days. My ear did the legendary "pop" 8 days after the surgery, and all the sudden, I was hearing bass again! My surgeon doesn't test hearing until 8 weeks after the surgery to allow the ear to completely heal and to allow you to get used to hearing again. I'm very happy with the results so far, including a lower level of intrusive tinnitus. I can't wait to get my hearing tested!

The following user gives a hug of support to Fantine:
billcindy1 (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
(female)

Fantine..So glad to hear that your recovery is going so well for you. Just imagine what your hearing scores will be.

Cindy

Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

My bone conduction for both ears shows some non-conductive loss around 3000 hz (about 30-35 db), but if I'm close to normal in other frequencies, I'll be happy.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
(male)

RealityMatt HB User

That's awesome news Fantine! Thanks for letting us all know.

I'm just over 3 weeks post op, and it's been a week an half since I had the packing removed. My hearing is great in the mid ranges, and seems to be slowly getting better in the lower and higher ranges, but my improvement in hearing since the packing was removed has not been significant. I'm hoping when I finish the Ciloxan drops in the next 2 days that the ear will dry out more and my hearing will improve a little more. It still feels a little blocked and filled with fluid at times, and still cracks at every change in pressure.

I look forward to hearing test results at the 8 week mark. I hope you enjoying the new hearing, and the reduction in tinnitus perception. My tinnitus in my operated ear is high pictched and still prominent, but I seems to have improved. Again I hope that there will still be some improvement...everything crossed.

Take Care All.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #9
(female)

leleoh HB User

Thanks Fantine! I am hoping to regain a lot of my lost hearing. I know that it won't be 100% since it cant address the sensorineural part but getting back some of the hearing will be great. And then if needed I can think about a hearing aid. Can't be helped by one the way it is now with aids, they'll just amplify the awful buzz of the misaligned bones.

I do not advocate landing on your head after a fall!!

Reply Reply